overall
RATINGS: 751   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Dry and surprisingly light-bodied. Malty sweetness and caramel flavors shift to distinctive dry-roasted malt notes.

hopson (635) - Williamsville, New York, USA - MAR 23, 2007
22 oz from Ty5592...An amazing beer. Don’t think it gets the credit it is due to the low abv...Eventhough it is not a "big" beer, it is excellent. Pours like black tar, nice dark brown head, tastes of melted chocalte, with a roasted coffee finish. Drank this with a couple friends who were strategizing about how we could locate more...In another state...Thanks Ty.

obguthr (6659) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - NOV 25, 2007
Rich aroma of cocoa, fudge, walnut, and maple syrup. Black pour with a medium brown head. Harmonious taste of chocolate and licorice. The licorice lingers on the palate with a subtle introduction of smoke. Medium body, yet sufficiently flavorful. Not very hoppy. This a special brew!

CP (124) - USA - JAN 30, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2008 This beer is unlike any "stout" I have had. It has a lower ABV, which is good in this case. This is a very drinkable beer. It is thin on the palate and is certainly the most "hoppy" stout I have had. It has an aroma of coffee, honey, and syrup. It has a dry almost smokey finish. I think a lot of people tend to rate this beer low (than other 3Fs anyway) because of the ABV and thinness, however that makes it great. I could drink this all day long over other beers with higher ABV. This is probably my favorite Three Floyd’s beer so far and the bottle is cool as hell.

gunhaver (1030) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 26, 2009
Bottle, courtesy someone. Black pour, big dark tan head and thick lacing. Nose has some sweet fruity coffee, some chocolate and roasted malts. Big on roast in the flavor, coffee, chocolate, and a very nice spicy dry finish. Crisp. Quite drinkable. Full-bodied for a small beer. Enjoyed it considerably.

sigma23 (380) - , Maine, USA - APR 4, 2009
one of my favorite stouts. pours black and thin with little tan head that disappears fast. aroma is burned malts and rich coffee. taste is bitter coffee up front and finishes a little sweeter thanks to the malts. great stout any time

Bigmmartin (620) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - JUL 12, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2009 This one took me completely by surprise. I really wasn’t expecting too much for some reason. The hops really stand out in the aroma. The strong dry, roasted malt, hoppy aroma is excellent. I now knew immediately that I was going to love this beer. Hell yeah, the flavor is great. Packed with dry roasted malts, hops, chocolate and coffee. You really can’t ask for much more when it comes to the balance of flavors here. Best dry stout hands down.

Frauditor (162) - Hagerstown, Maryland, USA - DEC 30, 2009
See what I mean about the stout? it’s really really good. Plenty of sweetness of caramel and bitter on coffee grounds. well made beer. would definitely try this again.

Beerowulf (127) - , Indiana, USA - MAY 21, 2010
Very strong aroma......jumps out after the pour. Pours black with creamy 1 finger head. Great lacing. Got better and better as it warmed up. served from bottle to Imperial pint glass. Smooth finish and tastes of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. Light carbonation. Great offering from Three Floyds.

AMBeer (15) - USA - JAN 6, 2011
Poured this from a 22oz bomber into a goblet glass. Pours an extremely dark brown, almost pitch black, with a 2-fingers worth of head. Eventually dissolves and leaves about a fingers worth. On the nose, I’m getting dark chocolate right away. I’m also picking up some roasted malts. The hops come through on this stout. I like that. A little grapefruit in there. The taste is a bittersweet chocolate. This is followed by a mellow coffee roastiness. A touch of grapefruit, just like the aroma. Finishes with a nice kick of hops. Just enough kick to let you know they are there. Not as "hidden" like in a sweeter stout but not "in-your-face" like an Imperial. Medium-bodied. A little creamy but still drinkable. Had the whole bomber and it still left me wanting more! Overall, a great brew from Three Floyds. I would highly recommend this to a Three Floyds fan. Actually, I would recommend this to a stout fan!

DoublEE (781) - South Euclid, Ohio, USA - MAY 31, 2012
Not quite what I was expecting from an Irish stout but was pleasantly surprised. Quite hoppy, which was nice, but kept the rich & creamy tast of a stronger stout. Again, lots going on here for a 6.5% Irish Stout. would gladly drink again.