overall
RATINGS: 412   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.35/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels including Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon barrel aged variants of Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
CP (124) - USA - APR 28, 2008
I like regular Dark Lord better than the oak aged. This seems to be true for any beer I try that is oak aged. I either cant tell a big difference or it just adds alcohol flavor. For me the it doesnt add much to it other than that. Its still good, but I just prefer the regular or vanilla bean.

couchand (182) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - APR 28, 2008
Vintage 07 on tap DLD08. Quite similar to its younger brother. Strong oak and some vanilla character adds a bit of complexity to aroma and flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
damienv10 (108) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 27, 2008
DLD 08. Great beer but not the best of the dark lords. I like the aging but I dont think it adds as much character as the vanilla version

DeweyDell (159) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 27, 2008
I have to admit that Ive fallen head over heels for the bourbon-aged craze, I dig the bourbon flavor and I really dig the Dark Lord... together they are absolutely amazing. Some beers dont really stand up to the challenge, the bourbon can get a little overwhelming, but the DL is rich enough that the bourbon flavors just work their way into the beer and create something so amazing.... While I agree that it is not a "sit on the back porch and drink a couple with your BBQ" beer, it is worth one of my few perfect 5.0s for being the hands-down most delicious mouthful of anything Ive ever had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2008 Tried this one after the Vanilla DL, and it seemed different in a few ways. 1-it didnt seem quite as thick, though it may have been an optical dillusion. 2- had a very distinct bourbon aroma and flavor. 3- you could tell the alcohol was in this one as compared to the regualr DL and Vanilla DL. Overall, it was great, but I was MUCH happier that I got a few cups of the Vanilla DL.

Acknud (1081) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - APR 27, 2008
On tap at DLD08. Glad to get some. I heard the ran out. Lots of molasses and bourbon in the nose. Taste is sweet and loaded with bourbon. Very black with no head. Very drinkable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
lampeno420 (320) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - APR 27, 2008
DLD 2008. Thanks to BillVanE for sharing the taster he managed to get by unknown means ;) The brewpub ran out yesterday and he came up to me smiling ear to ear. Everything you know the reg. Dark Lord is but amped up obviously. If they could get Christmas in a keg, it would be right here.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DietPepsican (1586) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - APR 26, 2008
Thanks to joey and random guy in line for tastings of this. Black as night, no head. Aroma was heavy on the molasses and bourbon. Huge bourbon intro with chocolate, molasses, and alcohol. Finishes very boozy, syrupy. A bit over the top for me, not very drinkable. I had a 4 oz glass and it was a bit too much. Still one of the most flavorful and unique beers Ive come across.

Skyview (5834) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - APR 26, 2008
On draught at the Dark Lord Day 08. Pours a creamy and thick, opaque dark chocolate malt colored brown brew with no head. Aroma of bourbon, dark chocolate, molasses, a touch of black licorice, and some deep citrus hops. Taste is thick, smooth and creamy with an over the top alcohol kick that really compliments the dark chocolate, bourbon and molasses flavors. Finish is just as smooth and its flavor continues after the finish. I was fortunate to get three 10-oz glasses of this which made the 5-hour wait in line for the regular Dark Lord Imperial Stout worth the wait. Also received word that this sold out in less than one hour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
DWestrick (700) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 26, 2008
tap - oak aged 2007 had at DLD08 - excellent and met my expectations and then some - personally, i cant tell the difference between this and the bottle but Im fairly inexperienced. Loved it!