overall
RATINGS: 427   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.33/5   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout aged in a variety of Bourbon barrels with vanilla beans.

This listing is specifically for Bourbon Vanilla Bean Dark Lord. NOT Brandy.

KyotoLefty (10254) - Kyoto, JAPAN - JUL 31, 2011
Shared by Ken at Chriso’s. Aroma of vanilla, oak, chocolate. Huge vanilla flavor, sour edge with chocolate, rather low roasting, over-sweet, but it is a lovely sweetness. Low bitterness too. Complex enough, though not as much as the regular DL.

harrisoni (18577) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - JUL 30, 2011
At Chriso Pre Gbbf 2011. Its an alright impy stoutlots of choc ans some booze too. Good.

fiulijn (20491) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 17, 2011
Courtesy of Kim, handbottled
Oily black color, flat. Intense chocolate aroma, some cookie dough. Syrupy and thick mouthfeel, as expected for a Dark Lord, sweet, with some chocolate but actually less than expected. Strong alcohol perception.

alpar (160) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 15, 2011
Had on tap at DLD 2011. 2beerornot2beer and I got the last pours on the keg, or so we were told. Regardless after waiting for 3.5 hours in line we were ready to do this up:) A: Jet black, very little carbonation, similar to the regular Dark Lord treatments. S: AWESOME! Huge vanilla notes and some cocoa. I didn’t notice any alcohol in the smell. T: Better than the smell! I was expecting a nuclear vanilla attack but instead go a really sweet balanced marshmallow flavor, it was out of this world! O: This really took me by surprise, I am not a huge fan of the regular Dark Lord beers but this beer really hit home for me, one of the best I have had to date.

msojka (457) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 22, 2011
Pour is the blackest black with next to no head. Nose is of pure vanilla and bourbon. Taste is so smooth and so delicious I understand why they release it once a year. Words sadly don’t do it justice.

smith4498 (3646) - Winter Springs, Florida, USA - MAY 20, 2011
Bottle at Maltzilla’s tasting. Pours black with brown head. The vanilla aroma smacks you in the face! Also some roasted malts, chocolate and coffee. Flavor is waaay too sweet for me. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

HonusWagner (2168) - Florida, USA - MAY 14, 2011
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2014 Huge thanks to Diego for scoring a very well-kept handbottle of this. That out of the way, I’d like to say that I think this beer symbolizes a lot of what is wrong with certain elements of craft beer today. It smells fucking divine, vanilla beans for miles and miles and some hot cocoa swirled in and a touch of bourbon. But the taste is pure sugar, under-attenuated as all hell and almost impossible to keep down in more than the tiniest sips. There’s extreme, and then there’s over-the-top, and VB DL strikes me as more of the latter. I’m giving it a 3.0 because it would make a great candle wax or Febreeze. On draft at Hunahpu day, this beer was legit really really good. I’ve become a fan.

brew3crew (166) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 10, 2011
At DLD 11. Great brew with a nice vanilla addition. wish they made it mroe often

bittermestupid (247) - Canton, Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2011
On draft 4-30-11 at DLD in the brewpub. Pours black as oil with a small amount of tan head around the edge of my glass. Smells sweet like honey, also bourbon, vanilla, licorice, coffee, dried dark fruits, and chocolate really come through nicely. Dark roasted coffee and vanilla fills my mouth and coats the palate. Flavors of bourbon, chocolate, and raisins are also noticeable. The mouthfeel is wonderfully thick and oily. The finish of this monster beer is rather smooth and sweet with a subtle roasted coffee bitterness and no noticeable burn from the high abv. This beer for me lives up to all the hype and sets the bar for a ris!

wedgie9 (2702) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 7, 2011
Tasted on draft at DLD2011, my friend Ben brought me a sample from inside the brewpub. Pours a murky oily black. By the time it got to me, there was no head whatsoever, but with agitation, it forms a thin collar of tan lace. The nose is dominated by vanilla bean, but there are also dark chocolate, lightly bitter coffee and molasses aromas as well. On the palate, this beer is cloyingly sweet with tons of vanilla and chocolate syrup. The coffee is more or less completely lost, but there is still a bit of the molasses, and just a hint of cinnamon spice, but vanilla is undoubtedly the strongest flavor, however. The body is super full and sticky with very light carbonation, and a long sweet vanilla and lightly spiced cinnamon finish. Overall, this beer tastes awesome, but due to the cloying nature, it would be difficult to drink much more than the small sample that I was given.