overall
RATINGS: 1830   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 23, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2008 07 Bottle. Thanks bgburdman9 for giving us a crack at this. Well, Justin and I finally experienced the Dark Lord. Outstanding aroma blasts you in the face...The first couple sips were quite an experience...an amazing rush of flavors especially upon swallowing. I tasted lots of raisins, vanillia, cherries, plums, chocolate, molasses, smoke, and just a bit of coffee, etc etc etc... it then continued to linger on the palate for minutes. Very very nice mouthfeel indeed. But here we are, middle way through the bottle - and it starts to become heavily unenjoyable. Insanely sweet and soy sauce like, what happened? Sincerely disappointed by the end. Yes, its good...but I find it a bit hyped

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hapjydeuce (999) - Carlsbad, California, USA - MAY 22, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2009 2008 bottle shared at Sean and Ryans tasting. I had to upgrade my rating, as previous vintages failed to really impress me. Pitch black and still with some beige swirls. Aroma of espresso, roasted malt and sweet raisin. This vintage was much more impressive in flavor. Tons of molasses and cherry with smoke, all smothered in loads of dark chocolate and vanilla. Palate was silky smooth, coating the back of the tongue and giving a warm alcohol feeling in the back of the throat. The chocolate and coffee flavors linger forever. Pretty outstanding, but I would still take a fresh Speedway any day.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cmr1517 (35) - New Haven, Indiana, USA - MAY 21, 2007
O7 bottle. I am so lucky to live here in Indiana where this fine brew is created. Poured jet black with litte carbonation. has a thick and creamy look. Dark tan head. I really enjoyed this beer sitting in my mouth. Lots of coffe and molasses. Im ready for DLD 08

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
BillVanE (19) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - MAY 21, 2007
A 07 bottle that I had weeks ago and now rating from memory dont know if I ever will rate this beer while drinking it. It needs to be enjoyed not picked apart and the enjoyment of it be gone. This beer poured in the darkest shade of black with the darkest of tan heads out there. The aroma I believe was very subtle far from the explosion you get that first sip so many flavors in this you can not explain a few that stuck out were cherries, coffee, molasses and choclate. My most enjoying part of having this delicacy was the way this was in your mouth very smooth, very thick and very soft. Simply an amazing imp will always be a DLD as long as I can.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - MAY 19, 2007
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 06 & 07 side by side. Im not sure if its due to aging, however, the 06 was much more complex and refined. Im not sure if due to all the hype, however I was expecing something better. Dont get me wrong, I like the DL But not beer drinkers nirvana I had hoped. Pours thick and black with a tan head. Aroma of coffee, sweet vanilla. Tastes of sweet molasses and coffee. After the 06 and 07 I was feeling no pain.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
smhncabot (310) - Cabot, Arkansas, USA - MAY 19, 2007
pours dark as a black steer tookis on a moonless night. aroma is huge booze, expresso, dark chocolate, black currant, cherry, smoke, licorice, and toffee. taste is as the aroma advertises and is enormous. mouthfeel is full, oily, and sweet. finish dark fruit tart, expresso and hop bitter. amazing stuff and absolutely worthy of the ballywho.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - MAY 18, 2007
Bottle. Pours black with little carbonation and a small brown head. The aromas are actually quite faint, but the flavors explain the hoopla about this beer. Tons of roast, nuts, a bit of coffee and chocolate. Super smooth and very pleasant mouthfeel. One of the best beers I have ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Theis (15152) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 17, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 29, 2007 Botttle at Kbenhavnske ldage 2007. again thanks to the guys from the Mikkeller stand. Black - brown head. Coffee, chokolate, powerfull, high chokolate, cocoa-powder, raisins, prunes, plums, dried dark fruits. A bit harsh - but very good !!.......... And i tasted it again, this time Lars (Bager) brought a bottle to a meeting at The Club !! I jus want to add: oily, molasses, lots & lots of dark lord fruits, soya. I am not gonna change the rating... this is just extra words, and one of them is: Powerfull !!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - MAY 17, 2007
06 bottle. Total blackness, impenetrable, dark tan creamy looking head. Complex aroma of raisins, rum, and chocolate. Silky smooth palate, little or no carbonation. Flavors of espresso, dark chocolate and coffee all come through.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - MAY 16, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 20, 2008 2006 bottle, drank May 07. Impressively dark pour with a red-brown foam, but it didnt stain my notes as dark I thought it would when swirled my glass too vigorously. Aroma of chocolate syrup, molasses, rum, raisins, alcohol. Wonderfully sweet flavor, lots of chocolate and syrup, but theres some roast and earthy flavors rounding it out. Finish blends really well the rest of the beer, but I felt it should have offered something stronger to balance the flavor. Some hops and butter were there, but otherwise its just the upfront flavor fading away. Mouthfeel was very thick but it was a bit oily to me. From what I read this was the weaker vintage, and I would love to try some fresh stuff, eventually. Great sweet flavor, but overall, this lacked some key elements in the finish, and creaminess. BR BR 2008 bottle, all for ME! Thanks to Crizay and his ladyfriend for this. Pours black with a reddish brown foam, thick and creamy looking. Looks great. Aroma of dark roast, leafy plant-like hops, dark chocolate, espresso, rum, molasses becomes more fudge-like as it warms. Flavor is very sweet, but it balances itself pretty well considering. Definitely tons of dark chocolate, a slight milk chocolate and fudge flavor, rum, raisins, a slightly vinous flavor and port-like dark fruit, some coffee, and a slight bit of molasses. Finishes strong with espresso, earthy hop flavor, bitter roast aftertaste. Mmm, nice and Three Floyds-y. Unbelievably thick and viscous mouthfeel, soft carbonation, very creamy. Warming in the finish, but never really hot. Getting sweeter as it warms. I gotta say, Im a sucker for beers like this and I enjoy this more now that I can have it by itself.