overall
RATINGS: 1852   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
A Demonic Imperial Russian stout brewed with Dark Matter Coffee coffee,vanilla, and molasses.

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Orange wax = 2013 - New Label 15% ABV
Blue wax = 2014 - 15% ABV
Burgundy wax = 2015

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - FEB 12, 2007
Bottled, Dusseldorf gathering. Very dark pour, Light brown head. Fruity aroma, lots of bittersweetness to the brew, Chocolate, coffee, Hints of vanilla, Anis. Everything comes together nice.

mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - FEB 8, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2007 Pours pitch black with a very light tan head that kind of hazes into the darkness making it extremely inviting looking. It has quite the powerful roasted malty smell, chocolate almonds, dark chocolate, and all that goodness of imperial stouts. Body was thick and lovely, just like I like it, with hazelnuts, chocolate, hint of vanilla, and roasted malts. Thye created a very nice balanced sweetness. The finish is smooth as hell. Nothing overpowers you, but hangs out on the back of the tongue to let you enjoy it for longer. This brew is one of the reasons that imperial stouts are my favorite style. This will get the honor of my highest rate so far.

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 7, 2007
So here it is. I planned on drinking this one on my birthday but the keg of Old Rasputin prevented that from happening. I definitely wanted to taste the famous Dark Lord on a clean palate. 2006 version. The beer pours like a typical Imperial Stout without a bunch of carbonation. Slight trace of brown head on top. Oily black. Looks good. The aroma hits me first with Espresso before revealing some chocolate and perhaps a bit of port wine. Smells really good but not mind blowing. The taste......HOLY SHIT THAT’S GOOD! Amazing espresso flavors lead into chocolate into wine like alcohol notes into a sweet brown sugar finish. What strikes me most about this is that the appeal doesn’t really come from complexity. I’ve tasted what I taste here before. It’s the volume at which these flavors come screaming through that blows my mind. As with a lot of top 50 type beers, I expected this one to be very good but overated. As with a lot of top 50 beers, I was pleased with how awesome it was. Hats off to Three Floyds. You guys are definitely awesome!

BeerBeing (1) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 7, 2007 does not count
A beer perfect in any and each way but drinkability. Because it is such an extreme beer, drinkability (greatly ?) suffers

wickster (85) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - FEB 2, 2007
In every way, the worlds most perfect beer. I had the joy of tasting this out of a bottle on release day in ’06. Very strong aroma...poured so think I was as giddy as a school girl watching it...increadable. I jut tapped a bottle on Jan 1st I had cellared in a dark closet since release day....couldn’t believe how much this beer mellowed with age....as great as I thought it was on day1, I enjoyed it even more now. If thre was any harshnes to the beer before, all edges were rounded....reminded me of a find brandy or something....I still hve one left...I have to find a way to make it last until the next release, two months away!

bwkrieger (14) - Lisle, Illinois, USA - JAN 18, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2007 Rating from notes from Dark Lord Release 2006. Huge aroma, pours deap jet back oily, beautiful head. Balance is awesome, coffee, roasted malt, chcolate, vanilla, sweet dark fruits, alcohol is there but hdden perfectly. Mouthfeel is amazing, small bubbles on the tongue with velvet perfect finish. A true gem, glad I have more. Can’t wait to see how this will age.

pivnizub (10619) - Bochum, Porúří, GERMANY - JAN 17, 2007
Bottle (at the Düsseldorf Gathering); Dark brown coloured, reddish-brownish small head; sweet-vinous-fruity nose with distinctive traces of liquorice; oily texture, strong bitter-sweet flavour; lingering coffeeish-(bitter)sweet finish. Good and complex and dense.........

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 13, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2007 22oz bomber provided by our host Bartzilla. Beer 12 of the Bartzilla’s Death Metal Beer Tasting 1/12/2007, consumed with many great beer drinkers including Bartzilla, Naven, as well as Lee creator of Arrogant Bastard. Now like many I’ve been really waiting for this beer for a while, and I cannot hope to match most reviews, but this is serious shit. This beer is potent strong and sweet. Coffee, sweetness and smoke, and roastiness all come together to form this fantastic beastlly Imperial Stout, I look forward to having this again with more contemplation.

diabel (1714) - Aarschot, BELGIUM - JAN 8, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2007 Disclaimer: Two ratings, points are of the latest one.

Rerate - Bottle at the Weekend of Spontaneous Fermentation 2007, thanks to whoever brought it!
Deep black, muddy body. Refined aroma of liquor, port, very strong malts, ... very nice. Very well balanced and complex flavour of toasted and roasterd malts, dark fruits, chocolate, ... Yummie! 8/4/9/4/18 - May 30th, 2007

Bottle at the Düsseldorf Gathering. Deep, black body. Creamy brown head. Nice looks. Aroma of complex malts, but not heavily complex, only very, very strong malts (and alcohol). Very complex and attracking flavour with a lot of coffee, liquor. 8/4/8/4/17 - Jan 8th, 2007

jbrus (4990) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - JAN 8, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 19, 2008 Dusseldorf Gathering, Bottled. Yes, this is it! Strong aroma of sweet coffee and moccha. Black, brown head, good lace. Sweet, loads of moccha and licorice, roasted but light bitter. Thick and cloying like motor oil. What a brew! Thank you Saarlander. Re-rate: 2008 vintage, 4.4.