overall
RATINGS: 1824   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord is a demonic Russian-Style Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, Mexican vanilla, and Indian sugar. (2017 version)

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Burgundy wax = 2015
Black speckled wax = 2016
Green wax = 2017

agl108 (1306) - Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2006
Thanks to Lamas for the bottle, a real top notch inspiration on how to destroy my liver. Rating #100 for the crown bitch. 22 oz. bottle with orange wax on this one...2005 bottle?? Great googly moogly!! Poured jet black with thick tan head. TONS of lacing left in my pint glass. Nose was of rich coffee, caramel, and dark chocolate. Very roasty. Thick complex flavor with chocolate, molasses, and raisins. Just the slightest notice of alcohol at the finish. Amazing for a 13% brew. Unbelievable mouthfeel, so thick and creamy. Do they ever add any water to this when the brew it?? I can’t fathom drinking a better imperial stout. Badass. This beer kicked my ass too.

illinismitty (2377) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 10, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2008 First of all, mega thanks to Rooftoprogue for trading with me for this one. I was hoping to save this for a milestone, but like trying to practice celibacy, you can only go so long before you cave. 2005 bottle. Pours and looks like soy sauce, with a pronounced thin cinnamon head. Aroma of bitter chocolate, maple syrup, coffee grounds, and dark roasted malt. Initial flavor is sweet with notes of coffee, mocha, and molasses that transitions to flavors of currants, merlot, dark plums. More coffee complexities and bitterness come out as this beer warms. Some warming. A tad amount of stickiness lingers. I really expected more hop bite with this considering the brewer, but this was well balanced...probably because it has a year in the cellar. Does this beer live up to the hype? I think so. Overpriced...that’s debatable, but I would gladly pay $18 for a bomber of this.
Rating of 2008 Bottle- This stuff is very thick. Lots of sweetness on this version, joined by smoke, coffee, and chocolate. Bitterness is not as agressive as previous batches. Though young, this is still damn good and should age very well. Too bad I don’t have a bottle to age. It’s good, but not $50 ebay good.

JoeMcPhee (9550) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 9, 2006
2006 courtesy of beeryum... many thanks!! Black as midnight with a thick dark brown head fading to thin dark brown lacing. Deep, chocolatey, leathery aroma, salty, savoury and slightly licoricy notes. Heavy strong tarry aroma, some nice rich heavy smoky notes. Intense and incredibly rich flavour, smoke, licorice, tar, chocolate and roasted coffee with savoury leathery flavours. A whole smorgasbord of dark malty complexity. Easily the thickest and most intensely flavoured beer I’ve ever tasted. Intense, but still manages to approach balance. Finishes like a combination of espresso and hot chocolate. Alcohol is present but isn’t obtrusive. It’s tough to write anything that hasn’t already been said about this beer, but it’s definitely worthy of the praise that has been heaped on it. Lingering hoppy/roasty bitterness. Awesome stuff.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUL 9, 2006
Bottle 2006 vintage: Black and blacker on the pour, with a medium sized dark tan head. Aroma, huge roasty malts, dark fruits and coffee. Flavor had roasty coffee, fruits and a delicious sweetness to it. This beer screamed welcome back to america after the previous hour had been spent sipping on a westy. Great thick mouthfeel, very nice sticky finish to it. One of my favorite imperials.

blankboy (7808) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 6, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, GregClow, jerc & tupalev -- my bottle courtesy of hopdog. Vintage 2004? I’ve been sitting on this one for a while, anxiously awaiting the day I’d crack it open. I probably should have waited for a milestone to open it but I just couldn’t wait any longer. Needless to say I was not dissapointed. Pours ink-black, like tar, with a spare light-brown head. Amazing aroma of dark malt, coffee, chocolate, dark fruit, hops, molasses and more -- it’s so complex, I spend minutes just smelling it. The flavour’s just as good: lots of coffee, caramel malt, dark chocolate, bourbon, dark fruit, brown sugar, alcohol and like the aroma, there’s so much more going on -- right about this point I’m seriously regretting sharing this with my fellow raters and considering demanding their samples back! Nice full body, creamy mouthfeel. What more can I say that hasn’t been said over and over before? This is a spectacular beer and one of the best Imperial Stouts I’ve ever tasted. Many thanks to hopdog for sending this my way!

IrishBoy (4233) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUL 4, 2006
Rating #300 2006 botttle: trade from 1FastSTi Niose of coffee, malt, plums, and a little molasses; opaque ebony with a long lastng tan head; Flavor changing as it warmed; luckily I only had to share a couple of ounces to others, show of coffee. mo;asses, chocolate, and raisins. I will need to rate my Speedway Stout before coming to a conclusion as to my favorite.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUL 4, 2006
I finally got to try this when friend shared a bottle--and was it worthy of the hype? You betcha. Fantastic Turkish-coffee black with rich beautiful aroma of malt, coffee, molasses, and dark fruit, even more in the mouth with layers of flavor coming in waves and silky texture you don’t want to swallow because you only got a little glass because everyone was sharing.... Best stout I’ve ever tried, hands down.

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Pours a thick almost black with an almost brown head. A huge aroma of malt, chocolate, coffee and a rasiny fruity aroma that when all put together is as thick as the beer. The one thing I didn’t smell that I thought I would was alcohol. This baby had a complex flavor underneath the obvious coffee/chocoate that made you want to swish it around in your mouth forever. A smooth even textrued mouthfeel that makes this beer pure heaven. Another great beer I have to thank KP for the privilage of trying. If I ever get a full bottle I will split it out two ways. Excellent beer.

ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
2006 bottle. Huge thanks to Hopscotch for sending this my way. Also have to thank TBC2 for sending me a second bottle, which allowed me to drink a fresh one. One I peeled off the wax and opened this one, the entire area filled up with molasses and coffee smells. Poured black, like night, with a tan head. This was probably the darkest beer I have poured. Took a sip, and damn! it was offensive. I was going to be disappointed. Let it sit for 15 minutes before attempting sip #2. That was what did it. When it was too cold, it was very sharp with alcohol, and not very good. After the 15 minutes and warming up some it simply exploded with flavor, and the alcohol seemingly went away. The beer was so thick it was about impossible to gulp. Tasted sweet, full of cofee, and molasses. Very smooth, and the best beer I have ever drank. Hands down, perfect score. Believe everything you read and hear about this one. It is not replaceable, and its the beer that is deserving of a 5 if ever there was one.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2009 2006 - I have heard that this is the granddaddy, bad ass of them all. You know what, they are right. Pours out just like burnt motor oil with a dark brown head. Aroma simply blows your head off with huge maltyness, molasses, and coffee scents. Flavor kicks you right in the teeth with a bold malty flavor with a nice balance of coffee and caramel. This brew was the wonderful. Hands down, no question about. The best beer I have ever drank to date. It even beats out the fabled Westy 12.