overall
RATINGS: 1828   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord is a demonic Russian-Style Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, Mexican vanilla, and Indian sugar. (2017 version)

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Burgundy wax = 2015
Black speckled wax = 2016
Green wax = 2017

IrishBoy (4254) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUL 4, 2006
Rating #300 2006 botttle: trade from 1FastSTi Niose of coffee, malt, plums, and a little molasses; opaque ebony with a long lastng tan head; Flavor changing as it warmed; luckily I only had to share a couple of ounces to others, show of coffee. mo;asses, chocolate, and raisins. I will need to rate my Speedway Stout before coming to a conclusion as to my favorite.

eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUL 4, 2006
I finally got to try this when friend shared a bottle--and was it worthy of the hype? You betcha. Fantastic Turkish-coffee black with rich beautiful aroma of malt, coffee, molasses, and dark fruit, even more in the mouth with layers of flavor coming in waves and silky texture you don’t want to swallow because you only got a little glass because everyone was sharing.... Best stout I’ve ever tried, hands down.

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JUL 3, 2006
Pours a thick almost black with an almost brown head. A huge aroma of malt, chocolate, coffee and a rasiny fruity aroma that when all put together is as thick as the beer. The one thing I didn’t smell that I thought I would was alcohol. This baby had a complex flavor underneath the obvious coffee/chocoate that made you want to swish it around in your mouth forever. A smooth even textrued mouthfeel that makes this beer pure heaven. Another great beer I have to thank KP for the privilage of trying. If I ever get a full bottle I will split it out two ways. Excellent beer.

ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
2006 bottle. Huge thanks to Hopscotch for sending this my way. Also have to thank TBC2 for sending me a second bottle, which allowed me to drink a fresh one. One I peeled off the wax and opened this one, the entire area filled up with molasses and coffee smells. Poured black, like night, with a tan head. This was probably the darkest beer I have poured. Took a sip, and damn! it was offensive. I was going to be disappointed. Let it sit for 15 minutes before attempting sip #2. That was what did it. When it was too cold, it was very sharp with alcohol, and not very good. After the 15 minutes and warming up some it simply exploded with flavor, and the alcohol seemingly went away. The beer was so thick it was about impossible to gulp. Tasted sweet, full of cofee, and molasses. Very smooth, and the best beer I have ever drank. Hands down, perfect score. Believe everything you read and hear about this one. It is not replaceable, and its the beer that is deserving of a 5 if ever there was one.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - JUL 1, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 29, 2009 2006 - I have heard that this is the granddaddy, bad ass of them all. You know what, they are right. Pours out just like burnt motor oil with a dark brown head. Aroma simply blows your head off with huge maltyness, molasses, and coffee scents. Flavor kicks you right in the teeth with a bold malty flavor with a nice balance of coffee and caramel. This brew was the wonderful. Hands down, no question about. The best beer I have ever drank to date. It even beats out the fabled Westy 12.

GregClow (3402) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 30, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, blankboy, tupalev & jerc - courtesy of blankboy. Red wax on the cap - not sure what vintage that makes it, but does it really matter? Pours like motor oil with a thin tan head. Aroma of chocolate, coffee/kahlua, rum, molasses, vanilla - fantastic! Mouthfeel is creamy, soft and luscious - mmmmmmm! Flavour - Holy SHIT! Bourbon, coffee beans, molasses, burnt sugar, dark cocoa... jumpin’ Jesus on a pogo stick, this is an amazing beer. Thanks SO much for sharing, Paul!

johnnypub (10) - California, USA - JUN 29, 2006
Didn’t know what to expect from this one. With all the hype behind it I didn’t think it was going to live up to the expectations. It definately did! My new favorite Imperial Stout. From the pop of the cap things were off to a great start. My nose detected coffee, raisins, roasted malts, vanilla, and a hint of alcohol. It poured a deep black with only a hint of dark brown when held up to the light and was topped off by a small chocolate brown head. This beer looked thick in the glass. Flavors were roasty, chocolatey, slightly bitter but most of all sweet. There is a dry finish as well as some warming alcohol as it goes down. It is rich and creamy on the palate. That was understatement, it coats the tongue on every drink. Alcohol is present but it doesn’t overwhelm. Surprisingly very drinkable. The best beer that I have had in some time, hands down.

BeerandBlues2 (14018) - Escondido, California, USA - JUN 28, 2006
2006 vintage, 22-oz. bottle courtesy of tjthresh. Pours thick, syrup and glass-staining opaque with a tiny tan frothy head that is mostly diisipating. Aroma is dark roasted caramel and maple malts, toast, slightly perfumey hops, plums, raisins, port and alcohol. Thick sweet dark chocolate and creamy malt, caramel, coffee, medium bitterness, velvety maple, alcohol and wood notes, raisins and prunes. Dark and full bodied, creamy, silky and smooth palate.

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 27, 2006
Man, I have had some good beers lately, but this was the one I was most looking forward to - and also the one most likely to disappoint given my incredible expectations. Anyway, very generously shared by blankboy with myself, hogtown harry, gregclow, and jerc (2004 we think). Pitch black, very dark head - looks great. Wonderful chocolaty aroma, some roast and some alcohol - again, well done. Incredible mouthfeel - and this is what separates many an impy in my mind - this feels like silk, yet it is so thick. Taste is very complex: chocolate, only a little alcohol (I like to feel some in these big beers), giving way to roast and a wonderful hoppiness. Nice burning alcohol in finish. Lives up to expectations - some have been this flavourful but very few are complex enough to shut us yappy bastards up and sit there and think about what the hell we are experiencing for a good solid 15 minutes. Thanks again Paul for sharing.

glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 25, 2006
06 bottle. Dark as hell. Dark brown head. I love this beer. Lots of sweet espresso, chocolate and raisin taste. This is as thick as your mom. Tasty....but the barrell aged was the shit.