overall
RATINGS: 1818   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord is a demonic Russian-Style Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, Mexican vanilla, and Indian sugar. (2017 version)

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Burgundy wax = 2015
Black speckled wax = 2016
Green wax = 2017

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - MAR 25, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2008 Huge thanks to EBoats for bringing this beauty to Tampa, and to Degarth for holding it for 2 weeks and not drinking it. Orange waxed bottle. I was so excited to try this. Pours a thick oily pitch black, huge awesome looking mocha head, and leaves great lacing. Aroma is some bourbon, dark chocolate, espresso, and sweet alcohol. Flavors are espresso bigtime, coffee, dark chocolate, amazingly smooth and creamy, dark fruits, more creamy espresso, slight black licorice, espresso stays the whole time. The more it warms it seems to get sweeter, it’s a sweet alcohol espresso flavor. Very drinkable beer the alcohol is hardly there and it’s damn smooth.

acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAR 21, 2006
Bottle thanks to Hezron as a bonus beer in my first RB trade. Unfortunately, I don’t think that I have the vacabulary yet to do this justice. Interestingly, when I first poured, smelled and tasted, it didn’t really do much for me. I mean, it was a solid beer, but I didn’t see where it came in as #1. Either as it warmed or oxidized (I started at around 55 degrees), though, it really came alive. Again, I don’t really have the words to describe all that this was, but it was a unique experience. Unlike the other "big" imperial stouts I’ve had (Speedway, Expedition, Stone, DFH, Mephisopheles, Siberian Night, etc), this one was really balanced. Not just bitter/malty balanced, but across the board. Most of the other ISs are wonderful, but really hit you over the head with something: alcohol, sweetness, smokiness, fruits, coffee, etc. The Dark Lord, though, especially as it progressed, contained all of these elements in a wonderful dance that I can only describe as unique. I wish I had better words to communicate my experience. While it doesn’t have any significant attention grabbing attribute, it’s such a well engineered total experience that I was, at the end of the glass if not the start, blown away.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - MAR 19, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2006 2006 bottle. Very thick body and a lot of chocolate, alcohol, raisin, coffee, and smoke in the flavor and aroma. Very sweet. Should mellow very well w/ age, but I really like it young.

jsquire (4578) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2006
I have had this beer on tap several times, as well as the red wax and orange wax bottles. Usually I’m too involved in the beer to take coherent notes which is why it has taken me so long to rate this. If you get the chance, get this on tap as that is the best way to experience this beer. This rating and score are really based on the orange wax bottle I just drank. Very dark beer with reddish hues around the edge of my snifter. Foamy brown head that reduced to a lasting foam ring. This is a thick, viscous liquid that coats the glass when swirled. Complex nose of coffee, bitter chocolate, molasses and charcoal. Coffee bitterness in the flavor, with rye bread, burnt cocoa, vanilla, and an almost celery leaf green sensation in the finish. As it warms the finish kicks in with sweetened coffee. I may have to bump up my numbers after having this again on tap, but the bottle, while great, isn’t the same.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 6, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2007 bomber. thick as hell, pretty smoky aroma. poured like castor oil. first half of the glass was superb. tasty, lingering, complex. taste buds shot, the second half was hard to appreciate. a whole bomber would have been too much for one sitting... rerate. had on cask at the NotLA. not nearly as good, but i won’t change my rating. it was thin and alcoholic... rerate: kicks ass. first time i’ve had it in 2 years, this was the ’07. very very sweet, tons of chocolate. a little acidic was my only complaint. it wasn’t sludgy as so many have claimed. it was pure awesomeness.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 30, 2007 Sample BI Indy gathering 2/25/06 - Aroma of roasted chocolate malt, coffee, alcohol, hops, and vanilla. Pours black with small brown head and good lacing. Flavor matches aroma and is big, no question. Palate is sticky and filled with alcohol. This is a big tasty brew and maybe I need to sit down with a whole bottle a fight it out to see if it’s worthy of the hype.

05/25/07 DL verticle 05-07 - my score is the same even though all three were very distinct. I admit to not taking good notes on the differences which was pretty stupid. What I remember is the older the bottle, the better with the 07 being very sweet and a little too smooth for such a huge brew. I will say the same thing I did the first time I sampled it, I need to start out with this brew instead of it being the last one of a tasting to really get a solid rating

beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - MAR 2, 2006
Coffee nose, with a rich black color. Huge coffee, burbon taste with some malt and toffee. Extremely smooth with a pleasant finish that lingers.

SunSkates (47) - Arkansas, USA - FEB 26, 2006
After drinking, it’s obvious why this beer is so highly rated. I can’t believe I got to try it; thanks again doppelganger. Dark chocolate, raisins, licorice, cough syrup and alcohol in aroma (a very robust aroma, mind you). Surprisingly biting bitterness that lingers and combines with cherries and heaps of dry dark chocolate. Full bodied with hot finish.

hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 26, 2006
The Beer. The Myth. The Legend. So it just happened that my very first DL came to me at the INDY Tasting 2/25. Thanks to Yankee for this one! This was an ’04 bottle. This mammoth of a beer pours black with a medium dark tan head that has highlights of rust color in it. The head fades away and leaves nice lacing. You can see how abnormally huge this beer is when swirled in the glass. The viscosity is amazingly large. The aroma was HUGE!! Notes of chocolate, caramel, alcohol, vanilla, smoked meats, and more chocolate!! Once again, a HUGE flavor! Very sweet off the bat as soon as it touches your lips, this soon fades to an alcohol, vanilla, and chocolate. This soon gives way to a bittering coffee alcohol finish. The mouthfeel is slick and oily, this stuff will be picked out of your teeth for days!! So Thick! This beer lived up to be exactly what I expected. HUGE HUGE HUGE... I can not wait to get more!!

mkgrenwel (621) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 21, 2006
Enormous thanks to TAR for this bottle. This beer has it all. Fantastic thick mouthfeel that feels like it envelops your entire body the moment it touches your lips. This stuff is so dense the glass feels extra heavy. Just about everything you could hope for is in here, including (but not limited to) roasted malt, alcohol, hops, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, licorice, cherry, oak, toffee, bitterness. Somehow nothing is in charge. Each sip brings something completely new. It is the ultimate drinking experience to be able to seek out and focus on anything you choose. This is THE king (or should I say Lord) of imperial stouts. I don’t think this could be outdone.