overall
RATINGS: 1824   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Dark Lord is a demonic Russian-Style Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, Mexican vanilla, and Indian sugar. (2017 version)

DarkLord is only available once a year at DarkLord Day at the Three Floyds Brewpub.

Vintage guide:

Burgundy wax = 2015
Black speckled wax = 2016
Green wax = 2017

AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 22, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 10, 2003 If I try to describe this beer I will be doing a disservice to the quality and taste. The flavor is very complex and sits extremely well on the tongue. The color is fantastic, the aroma too. I have to thank jskendzel for turning me on to Three Floyds and bringing me to the brewery.

TAR (2787) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - DEC 22, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2005 2005 issue: Not-quite-opaque molasses brown. Sandy, finely-bubbled mocha foam. Alluring nose of rich java, mocha chocolate, and molasses. Lightly yeasty and vaporously alcoholic, as well, with glazed pecan, burnt toffee, and vanilla hints. Rush of velvety-soft carbonation fills the palate. Lip-sealing mixture of chocolate fudge and molasses quell the cheek-buckling alcohol. Intensity is off the charts, but there’s loads of char, sharply-vinous fruitiness, and alcohol to assist the initially-overt richness. Takes on more graininess as alcohol couples with the firm roastiness to slowly pierce the wall of viscosity. Brief soft coffee bean and cinnamon flavor gracefully collide with the delicate underbelly of assorted berries and ink. Closes with a sizeable black malt/burnt cookie bite backed with a flash of arid roast and rich java. There’s nothing terribly unique about this (with the exception of the interesting yeast character), but it certainly is a huge improvement upon last year’s [bottled] version, which was less lush and overly viscous in the mouth. Much like Expedition right out the gate, it’s rough around the edges, albeit highly delicious, when fresh, but like Expedition, this will become more magical with each passing moment in the cellar..

Ringo (963) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2003 This beer has the thickness of Triple Bock, but in this case it tastes great! Thick almost to a fault, it really was the consistency of oil. But it tastes nothing like oil. I did not notice the alcohol in the taste, but felt it warming the belly. This is some good stuff.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - MAR 29, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2005 Heresy: I realize that I risk excommunication but here goes...The pour is indeed the thickest I have seen. Bubbles rise to the top and then disappear with a soda like fizz. The head has tints of red and the beer below looks like liquid chocolate. Not much aroma, but a faint whiff of cherries and raisins. Mouthfeel is divine- feeling, though not tasting like liquid chocolate. Taste is of intense raisins followed by orange peel bitterness. The fruit gives way to a port-like taste and alcohol burn. Beer leaves a film of dried sediment on the glass. I cannot detect any chocolate, roastiness or malt smoothness. The raisin is absolutely overpowering and distracting. If you like port or chocolate covered fruit peel- this is your stout. While it is quite an experience to drink/eat this beer- it is not an experience that I will seek out again. I am interested to know if age would mellow the raisin and bring out the chocolate. Ed- I thank you for the opportunity. Re-rate ’05 Release- That’s better. Loads of big beautiful bing cherries nestled in chocolate, yeasty malt. Wonderfully aromatic hops that balance out the huge sweetness. Now I see what the fuss is about. Still not my favorite imp stout- I would make this number three below Expedition and Oak Aged Yeti.

Ungstrup (38389) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - MAY 2, 2004
The aroma is powerful of coffee, chocolate, wood, and alcohol. The color is pitch-black and it has a brown head though disappearing. The flavor is very sweet with complex notes of malt (especially roasted), coffee, and bitter chocolate. It ends on a rather good bitterness -both from the malt and the hops. A very good beer. Thanks to Jeppe (Bierkönig) for sharing this very special beer with me.

temporrari (398) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 31, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2011 Rating #100 - This is an excellent brew. Best I’ve ever had? Not quite. But even at it’s young age, it’s pretty good. Very little alcohol detected. Tastes alot like Expedition, not as good though. I don’t think it stands up to the BA or regular Speedway either, but it sure is good. As far as the sediment goes, I guess I got lucky.

2005 Bottle Sampled 7-06. Very good. I’d give this 2005 bottle a 9/5/9/4/17 = 4.4

2004 is tasting a lot like Expedition, with a shot of chocolate syrup in it. Not as good as I remember it being. Maybe my tastes are changing, maybe this isn’t aging well. Good, but not the end all Imperial Stout by any means. This is a 3.8-3.9

austinpowers (2831) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 23, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 23, 2008 Thick black sludge with lots of sweetness. Not as thick as others had led me to believe. There was no sediment in my bottle whatsoever (granted, it had not been left standing for any period of time). Alcohol very well hidden with a light burn. The malt was not as thick as I expected, but it was plenty thick. No taste of alcohol whatsoever!

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2004
Thanks for this wonderful wedding gift, cindy and matt! Opaque pitch black color, nice medium creamy hazelnutbrown/creme head, leaving laces on the glass. Alcohol, almond, earth and wood nose. Thick oily texture, moccha taste, medicine sweetness, long lasting hoppy finish with some tabacco kicks.

footbalm (1219) - Western Minneapolis Suburbs, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2008 Bottle traded from Slikwily,drank in your honor Kevin.Thick black sludgey brew. Nose is a huge.So many different aromas coming from this it is hard to believe.Port.molasses,dark chocolate,coffee,plums and various dark fruits.Not one of them overshadows the other.I poured this and sat there with it in my hand sniffing,set it down thenpicking it up again to sniff some more.The Flavors come out exactly as you would have wanted:so you came absorb every aspect of this amazing brew.I docked one point for the amount of sludge in the bottle. After hjaving more batches I have changed my mind about this beer

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - NOV 8, 2004
BLACK Coloring with No Head. Whisky and Burnt Flavors Come Out.. Nice and Thick...Winter Fruit, Some Coffee... It’s not the Stout to Set Your Clock By, But a DAMN Fine one at that.