overall
RATINGS: 2078   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

bodhijah (8) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 18, 2006 does not count
Intense aromas of resinous pine, cannabis, and citrus. Creamy head with delicate lacing and deep orange color. Flavors...beyond words...a beer epiphany...

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Big pine and citrus aroma. Lots of tangy grapefruit, pine and floral flavors. Slightly sweet, candy and alcohol finish. Still manages to be refreshing for such a big beer, not overwhelming. I was expecting a lot and I got it!

thehinge (295) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Bubbly orange pour with a small white head....fair lacing. Heavy resin aroma to it. Malts are exceptional....tons of fruit and caramel on the front end. just the right amount of hop bitterness in the end. This is very good.

Ratman197 (15113) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Bomber poured a hazy copper with a diminishing amber head. Aromas of grapefruit, pine, carmel and orange. Palate was medium bodied and dry. Flavors of grapefruit rind, carmel, light pine and light orange with a lingering bittersweet finish.

beerprincess (52) - Indiana, USA - JUN 16, 2006
Hints of Orange on the nose with some floral touches. I found it slightly off on the tip of my tongue but became really hoppy and bold on the end. The finish is long and warm the whole way down.

RagallachMC (631) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JUN 12, 2006
Bomber bottle. Aroma: Intense floral and herbal aromas. After it warmed a little switched to resin and citrus. Appearance: Poured very clear. Lustrous orange color with golden highlights. Head was white and well formed, but disappeared quickly. Flavor: Intense flowery hop taste followed by an almost equal malt sweetness that covered the center of my tongue. Lingering aftertaste of fresh mown grass. Also got hints of clover honey and grapefruit (pithiness). Bitterness is almost staggering. A complex flavor that’s hard for me to put words to. Palate: Full bodied. Sweetness is a bit sticky on my tongue. Finishes very bitter, and lasts for a long time. Overall: A fantastic beer that every hop head will love. Perhaps just a little too much sweetness left on my tongue (even with the crazy amount of hops this beer is bittered with). Exceptional!

Bov (13004) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JUN 12, 2006
hazy amber-orange colour with a little fast disappearing foam; very strong hoppy nose with aroma of pine needle, perfumed flowers, exotic fruits and notes of alcohol in the background; soapy/oily mouthfeel, robust malt body; powerful and impressive (but not aggressive) bitterness, long bitter finish with lots of hoppy flavours and a warming alcohol touch - another great american hop juice - <!-- i -->big thank you to Per for this beer !<!-- /i -->

User37895 (3042) - - JUN 11, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 3, 2006 An exciting beer to finally behold, but it didn’t knock my socks off and isn’t my favorite DIPA to-date. The aroma was all grapefruits, resinous hops, and oranges. The flavor was similar, but was lacking in the malty category, which is a nice feature of other fine DIPAs. I’m not an IPA fan, but I love typical DIPAs. This beer, for hopheads, is how a DIPA should theoretically taste: even more hops than an IPA without the richer maltiness (IPA to the extreme). However, I tend to like the extra maltiness of the other nice DIPAs out there, that helps balance out the hop increase. Mouthfeel wasn’t as thick and syrup-like as other DIPAs. I may go buy another bottle and have at it in a year or two. Second rating, 7/3/06: A stellar experience, perhaps an extra four months of aging or my buds becoming more and more hop-preferred. Aroma was comparable as before. Flavor most notably now including more malt (along w/ full and pleasant mouthfeel), alongside a strong hop presence. How FFF packs the higher abv and malt without losing a very strong hop presence, I don’t know, surely unique within the style and a fine accomlishment. Flavor this time included some honeydew melons behind the grapefruit, light pine, and other citrus notes. Mouthfeel was dead on for the style, full, and not overly sticky until it warmed and picked up some stickiness. Pretty nice stuff. It must go head to head with DFH 90 and Hercules one day.

jedadiahcombs (41) - Huntington, West Virginia, USA - JUN 10, 2006
Beautiful Amber color and quickly disapating head. Botanical aroma that leaps from the bottle upon opening. Pleasant hoppy taste well balanced against the malt. Great beer.

timtheenchanta (70) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - JUN 4, 2006
Gorgeous orange color. Thin head with a little bit of lacing. Aroma is almost all leafy hops... hints of cannabis leaves. There’s a sweet side to it which is citrusy. The bitter rules out the sweet so it’s almost definitely the ridiculous amount of hops in this (I’m not surprised... just stating...). Big leafy taste. Sweet citrus. Very very bitter. Save me. The bitterness in this rocks me pretty hard. I’m not much of a hop head but I can definitely appreciate this great brew. Great smooth feel. Nice dry very bitter palate that hangs around for a ridiculously long time. After a while I decided I’d had enough of the finish and drank some water and there were still faint hints of it. Wonderful.