overall
RATINGS: 2160   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

can8ianben (1545) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 21, 2005
Ah, this beer blew me away. Initial thoughts are sweet, smooth, spicy, full of character, exciting, etc... I poured the entire 22 ounces into a giant snifter and sat back and enjoyed. It poured a nice amber colour with a nice creamy head. It didn’t last long, but that meant I got to the beer sooner. The aroma is huge. Hoppy and big with a peach candy aroma. There is some alcohol present in the nose as well as the usual pine scent that comes from most IPA’s. But that doesn’t matter, iIt makes me want to drink the entire thing right away. The flavour is amazing for a hop head. Loads of citrusy bite with enough malt to make me think about it without distracting from the hops. The body is deep and sweet showing off many different characteristics. Great stuff going on here. The only downfall to this beer is the price. I paid almost $9 for my 22 ounce bottle, but I guess it was probably the best beer I have ever tried, so maybe it was worth it.

MHED (114) - lisle, USA - JUN 12, 2005
Golden/orange hue in color, nice creamy head. Citrus and slightly floral hop aroma. Full bodied mouthfeel with a nice malt backbone. Gapefruit overtones that finish dry, wanting more.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2005
THANKS to Duane the great! Poured a brownish golden amber yellow. Lots of fizzy bubbls. Head was off white and large. The nose was pine and grapefruit hops and lots of yeast. The body was a good amount of mouth feel and the finish was smooth and rewarding. The taste was fruity and had a hop bit, and then the yeast again. I enjoyed this, but, the only negative to me was the amount of yeast. I let this settle for days and enjoyed on my birthday. Great brew.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 8, 2005
Bottle courtesy of Footbalm. Pours copper with a nice white frothy head. Smells of yogurt, sugar, citcus and corn. Tastes of caramel with a big hoppy pepper like finish.

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUN 7, 2005
Wow, what a beer, Its hop flavor jumps out at you! It got better as it warmed, took me two hours to drink, and I loved both hours! Pine, fruit, and hops dominate! would absolutely love to drink again! top notch.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - JUN 1, 2005
Bottle 22oz bomber - I had the 3 kids tonight and after running around from 4:00 to 8:00 taking them here and there I knew I needed a good brew to relax... This one did not disappoint me! Pours deep amber with a nice half inch fluffy offwhite head that laces very well. An absolutely beautiful pour. Aroma is big pine and citrus hops that I could sniff for hours. Flavor is a beautiful blend of caramel malts and mindblowingly bitter hops that blend together in perfect harmony. On the palate this is very smooth yet full bodied. It has a good dose of both malts and hops. It starts out with some sweet caramel malts that soon get blasted off of the tongue by a great grapefruit hop flavor. I really think that this was hoppier than Ruination, but it is so well backed up by the malts that by the end of the bottle you hardly remember them. The alcohol is covered very well and this is a fantastic brew. I really enjoyed this!

LilKem (1213) - Marietta, Ohio, USA - MAY 31, 2005
This had grapefruit and peach flavors with a hint of lemon and orange peel, floral perfume hoppy flavors, but not in a gross way. it seemed to compliment the dark fruits. slightly bitter on the finish and good mouthfeel. thanks to captaincougar for bringing this! it was amazing!

pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2005
Bottle at Andy’s Carryout in Columbus. Consumed over a weekend rich in IIPAs - rank this behind Ruination, but ahead of DFH 90 minute.

Boutip (6380) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 24, 2005
Bottle (Thanks to Rockinout): Poured a clear medium brown color ale with a huge off-white foamy head with pretty good retention. Aroma is totally dominated by floral hops of the kinds I wish we would see more of. Taste is very particular and not what I expected or what I had taste before in other Imperial IPA. Delicate floral sweet hops on top of well balance malt. Body is full and alcohol is well hidden. Not the malt and hops overpowered monster I was expecting but more of well balance and extremely enjoyable beer.

doubletriple (52) - Illinois, USA - MAY 20, 2005
There are great TF’s brews. Alpha King world class!!! Dark Lord world class!!! Even Pride and Joy is an underrated gem with an awesome taste and easy drinking, and I cant forget Gumballhead. But this one? Pricey and overrated...save yourself the time searching it out and the money and grab yourself a Rogue I2PA or better yet The Hercules which blows this one away and is half the price. Oh Yeah, This one does have a great hoppy aroma and nice mouthfeel. The taste? Eh it is okay, just not mindblowing ( see Hercules) or that special ( world class).