overall
RATINGS: 2148   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hopheads dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - MAR 15, 2005
Freshest hop aroma I have smelled aside from brew day at my home. Scent of lemon/grapefruit/citrus overlying fruit punch overlying candy sugar, with the faintest hint of pine. Appears a crystal clear light amber with good effervescence of moderately-sized bubbles. Flavor starts sweet, hoppy in the middle, finishes a perfect balance of the two. The sweet flavor component is neither malty nor caramelly but just tastes clean. The hoppy flavor component is fresh, bitter, and just plain yummy. There is also a hint of biscuit as I get further down the glass. Palate is moderately to heavy and appropriate, though it gets a bit slick and syrupy after awhile. Overall, this beer is equal to or greater than the sum of its parts. My thanks to sprinkle for this excellent brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
IMtheOptimator (1166) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - MAR 14, 2005
Thanks to flemdawg for this beer.

Poured a clear effervescent amber with a fizzy off-white head. Good IPA aroma of clean hops and a touch of candy with no grass. The taste? Well, this is interesting. This is very, very interesting. Not at all what I expected. The first adjective in the commercial description is the word "massive". But "massive" was not the first adjective that came to mind with the first sip. Instead, something very different surfaced: smooth. Very, very smooth. I taste hops, loads and loads of clean tasty hops with no grassy aftertaste... but I dont get an abrasive bitterness. I taste alcohol, peppery refreshing alcohol, but not an overwhelming dryness. And I taste a malt backbone, sweet and supportive, but no toffee and no stickiness. This is not the most assertive IPA Ive had thus far. Rather, it is the smoothest. This is an IPA that could introduce people to the IPA. All this coupled with a nice, full body that one would hope from a beer this hyped. This is by all account a sipping beer, but not because its too harsh to drink in mass quantities. This is a beer to be sipped so as to prolong the experience for as long as possible. Thanks Jim for giving me this opportunity.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 13, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2006 well shit. I lost my original rating of this when I hit save. See the other peoples ratings. All I have to say is that this is really f$#%^ing good. mmmmm I concur with most everything everyone else says. I do detect oranges in the aroma and flavor. This was my 75 beer mark. 9, 5, 9, 4, 19 = 4.6
Rerate: I had a new bottle of this. Its still great on aroma, but the malt is definitely less than last time. 9, 5, 8, 4, 17 = 4.3

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JadoreBlanche (114) - London, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 10, 2005
Thanks for sharing MrManning! Pours a dark and hazy orange body with a white frothy head. Aromas are lots of hops, slight sweet caramel. Taste is lemon, hops bitterness, sweet malt. Finish is super bitter, lots of hops, but well balanced and not overpowering. A great beer and nice treat! Rating miletsone: 100

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MrManning (2009) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 9, 2005
BAM finally get to try this bad boy, and it was worth the wait. First of all Ill thank BUNKYPOP for sending me this all the way from Illinois! Pours a dark gold body, with some cloudy orange properties. Head is just off-white, short lived and medium sized. In the end the head just sorta sat around the edge of the glass. Aromas are a huge blast of hops, citrus (lemon and orange), sweet malty candies, and some grassy notes too. Complex! Taste is like a hops train coming straight for your mouth, and it explodes in your mouth. HUGE HOPS, bitterness, orange peel, candied malts, grainy and grassy, and a slight boozey warmth. Finish is boozey and warming, huge bite in the mouth. Long lasting hoppy aftertaste. Suprisingly smooth and enjoyable for the alcohol content. Awesome and prime example of the style. Well done Three Floyds!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rudolf (2358) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2005
Again, big ups to qwak for this one. Someday I will bathe in this stuff. Hops garden and sweet malt nose. This is truly the ultimate IIPA. You could never confuse it with a barleywine like some other IIPAs (Great Divide comes to mind here) Huge grapefruit/citrus hops, cotton candy malt, perfect freakin finish. Reaffirms my love of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jtw (1160) - farmington, Michigan, USA - FEB 25, 2005
bottled, courtesy of footbalm. glowing copper orange, with more malt in the aroma than i expected. however, a biting bitterness hits your tongue before anything else, and the radioactive color becomes a radioactive flavor--my tongue is glowing, coated with hops. this is clearly alpha kings bigger, badder, bitterer brother. damn good beer.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 20, 2005
my 300th review had to be something special. I couldnt have made a better choice.Impossible to find in Wisconsin, it was stumbled upon in Chicago. 10 bucks for a 22er, but with the rave reviews it had gotten, why not? WOW, the most powerfulfull blast hop aroma I have ever experienced, short of sticking my nose into a bag of hops. Lots of malt in the taste to counterbalance these hops, not quite as much as Dogfishhead 120,leading to a full rich hopaccented taste. That wonderful aroma was there the entire glass, like your drinking it in a hop field. For a hophead like me, it was the most pleasant drinking experience Ive had in years. Lucky I bought 2 bottles. Im deeply saddened at the same time that this is so inaccesible to me. I believe this is only my third perfect score.I would like to know how long this stuff keeps, so next time I can score I can buy a trailerload to store.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - FEB 20, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2006 Increadible. One of the finest beers ever. Pours a cloudy red with a surprisingly small head. The looks is lighter then I would have expected. The aroma is really amazing with malts, apricot, graitfruit, caramel, citrus, hops, pine, hay, orange, pineapple. The taste has all of this in it as well and the alcohol is balanced perfectly. The palate is sex and that is all there is too it. Take all the flavors and put wine in to it. That is how I would describe the mouthfeel. This beer defies description. I saw this at the Foodery in Philadelphia. If you like Double IPAs, this is one is pretty hard to top. Three Floyds really layers this beer extremely well. This is amazing stuff. I just compared this to the Hercules Double IPA. They are very different so I will call it a tie.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
adrian910ss (2570) - philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 15, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2007 An Amazing IPA all the way !! Pours a dark copper color with a rich pine, floral, grapefruity scent to it. The taste gets better with every sip. Three Floyds keeps putting out world class beers. 8/10/07 Pours a cloudy orange copery color with a small white head. Faint aroma of what once was a tremendous amount of piney hops and mango. Where did this wonderful aroma go ? I used to crave this beer just for the aroma. Taste is hoppy, but nowhere near the hoppiness that this beer once had. Faint pine flavor with hints of mango and peach and caramel malt. This beer used to be near perfect and now is a shade of what it once was. What has happened here ?