overall
RATINGS: 2158   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
A hophead’s dream beer. This Imperial India Pale Ale has an opening salvo of mango, peach and citrus hop aromas that sit atop a pronounced caramel malt backbone. Although Dreadnaught is a strong and intensely hoppy ale, its complex flavors is both smooth and memorable. 9.5% ABV, 100 IBUs.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 20, 2005
my 300th review had to be something special. I couldn’t have made a better choice.Impossible to find in Wisconsin, it was stumbled upon in Chicago. 10 bucks for a 22er, but with the rave reviews it had gotten, why not? WOW, the most powerfulfull blast hop aroma I have ever experienced, short of sticking my nose into a bag of hops. Lots of malt in the taste to counterbalance these hops, not quite as much as Dogfishhead 120,leading to a full rich hopaccented taste. That wonderful aroma was there the entire glass, like your drinking it in a hop field. For a hophead like me, it was the most pleasant drinking experience I’ve had in years. Lucky I bought 2 bottles. I’m deeply saddened at the same time that this is so inaccesible to me. I believe this is only my third perfect score.I would like to know how long this stuff keeps, so next time I can score I can buy a trailerload to store.

wnhay (722) - Princeton, New Jersey, USA - FEB 20, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2006 Increadible. One of the finest beers ever. Pours a cloudy red with a surprisingly small head. The looks is lighter then I would have expected. The aroma is really amazing with malts, apricot, graitfruit, caramel, citrus, hops, pine, hay, orange, pineapple. The taste has all of this in it as well and the alcohol is balanced perfectly. The palate is sex and that is all there is too it. Take all the flavors and put wine in to it. That is how I would describe the mouthfeel. This beer defies description. I saw this at the Foodery in Philadelphia. If you like Double IPAs, this is one is pretty hard to top. Three Floyds really layers this beer extremely well. This is amazing stuff. I just compared this to the Hercules Double IPA. They are very different so I will call it a tie.

adrian910ss (2572) - Doylestown, PA, USA - FEB 15, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 10, 2007 An Amazing IPA all the way !! Pours a dark copper color with a rich pine, floral, grapefruity scent to it. The taste gets better with every sip. Three Floyds keeps putting out world class beers. 8/10/07 Pours a cloudy orange copery color with a small white head. Faint aroma of what once was a tremendous amount of piney hops and mango. Where did this wonderful aroma go ? I used to crave this beer just for the aroma. Taste is hoppy, but nowhere near the hoppiness that this beer once had. Faint pine flavor with hints of mango and peach and caramel malt. This beer used to be near perfect and now is a shade of what it once was. What has happened here ?

Odeed (1803) - Bakersfield, California, USA - FEB 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2008 2003 bottle by way of temporrari.poured into a snifter to recieve a beautiful golden brown with a white head that simmered quickly.i lifted the dread to my nose and gathered some pine,citurs,floral,caramel,and forest type aromas.the flavor was nice and complex.pine,caramel,earth,flowers,citurs,and hay all blended well onto my tounge.it also had a nice thick mouthfeel with a bit of a bite right inthe middle.this is yet another outstanding brew by the floyd’s brothers.

RAYBOY01 (2011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 6, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2005 One of the top three IIPAs I’ve ever had. Great grapefruit and citrus floral aroma whets the appetite. Great cloudy brooding color, seems to be roiling and churning in the glass. Tastes of intense hops (citrus and pine) with a sweet malty undertone. Great bitter finish, but never out of control or over the top. These guys know what they’re doing. (Sampled fresh at the brewery tasting room.)

SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - FEB 4, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2008 I’ve been waiting for this to come around for some time. I will take into account the price tag ($9/750ml) when rating. The pour is perfect, copper in color with a heavy off white head. The hop aroma is dominating - juicy grapefuit and orange mixed with fresh floral. It goes a little deeper and actually smells somewhat like the hop’s cooler, older brother, Cannabis. (Not that I would know though.) This is the hop-daddy. The little bit of sweet malt presence in the start is instantly swept away in a waterwall of hop flavor that just doesn’t stop. The finish is nicely balanced with strong notes of pine and just enough bitterness to leave you wanting more. This is alot of excitement for the taste buds all at once and probably should be enjoyed in moderation. At $9 a bottle, this brew is still rated Excellent.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - JAN 25, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 10, 2006 Poured a golden orange color with a small white head. Aroma is big grapefruit, pine, and sweet caramel. Flavor continues with the hoppy grapefruit, cirtus, and pine. A big malt backing gives this beer a great balance with the hops and alcohol. Medium to full bodied with a nice finish. </br> </br> Cask @ DL06 on 4/29/06 Nice big hoppy gapefruit aroma (not as big as the Khan had just before). Huge hop flavor and sugary sweetness. Grapefruit and citrus flavors. Full bodied. 9/4/9/5/18 While this would go up to a 4.5 I will leave it as is since it isn’t bottled and I probably wont be getting it again. :(

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Bottle....thanks Scott...you are the man. This is one awesome imp IPA. Hazy orange/amber body, medium-sized white head. Aroma VERY citrusy; orange and grapfruit dominate, with some alcohol present. Flavor is bold and hoppy, again more citrusy than piney. Very thick mouthfeel, much more so than I experienced with DFH 90 min or Stone Ruiniation. I’d like to do a taster of all three at the same time, but since I can’t I’ll have to say this is my favorite. If you knew how much I like the other two you’d know how much of a complement this is. This is a great beer. Rated at 4.5 Re-rate for Jan ’05. Thanks DavidP for sending this. It was sooo nice to revisit this wonderful ale. Interestingly, this new bottle was not near as hazy as the last ones I had...this time it was a nice translucent amber-orange with that nice small white head that dissipates quickly. I can’t say anything that hasn’t already been uttered about this very fine I2PA. My only regret is that I can’t touch it here in the panhandle of FL. Maybe someday..... Rated at 4.7...yep, it’s that good.

Spliffy (55) - Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA - JAN 18, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2007 The best brew in my opinion, period!! I have had most of the top and I will have to say that only one or two Imperial’s come within’ a five mile radius of this immaculate liquid! The flavor, aroma, mouthfeel, apperance etc.....bleed of HOPS and PERFECTION!!!! I celebrate with the Dread rather then champagne!

Dorwart (2589) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JAN 17, 2005
Finally, I come to the big boy. Have been waiting along time for this one since I am quickly becoming a hop-head. Decent sized off-white head of fine bubbles with the light carbonation. Succulent aroma. Not as hoppy as I though. Some grapefruit and a bit of spruce. Decent malt balance in the aroma though. Usually an imperial is dominated by hops in the nose and you can barely detect the malts. Color is a slightly cloudy dark orange. Wow. Nice malt backbone. The dominant note in this beer is the malt and not the hops. Hops are still there but act to enhance the experience. Smooth and creamy in the mouth with a touch of orange, butter and pine. ALcohol presence also and warms slightly as it goes down. Crisp and slightly bitter. Long bitter, resinous finish. Not as clean as some of the other IIPA’s which give the brew it’s long finish. One of the best balanced IIPA’s I have ever had. Great big thanks to bunkypop and joe (romero?) for this gem.