overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1636   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
An American Wheat Beer brewed with red wheat and boat loads of amarillo hops gives this summer brew a lemony finish. The slight haze in the bottle is from the bottle-conditioning, where yeast is added to the bottle for a secondary fermentation. Gumballhead is a Skingraft Comics hero. Check out Skingraft Comics and Records at www.skingraftrecords.com. Cheers!

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 6, 2005
(22 oz bottle: Obtained in trade with bkelley68, thanks Brian!) First off, an important point: I obtained this in a trade, and let it age for 13 months. Not only has this beer held up well, it’s absolutely delicious! A wheat beer, huh? Uhm, okay, whatever you crazy dudes at Three Floyds say. Technically, it may be a wheat beer, but it tastes much more like a lightly hoppy and very fruity American Pale Ale to me, with wheat being the underlying malt base. Very fruity (apricot and pear), sweet, lemony, mildly hoppy tasting, moderately bitter, did I say fruity yet? Wow, extremely fruity. It was probably hoppier when fresh, but frankly, I wouldn’t want this to be any hoppier, so I think aging has helped that aspect for me. Certain elements of this beer, mostly the fruits, are reminding me of a dessert wine (specifically, Raymond Eloquence), but obviously with considerably less sweetness and viscosity. The nose is also very fruity, again reminding me of a fine dessert wine. Body is medium, with a balanced and long-lasting palate. Very easy to drink, but don’t confuse that with being light on flavor. Very hazy, dark golden color, with a medium size white head that settles to a broken film. However, lacing is solid, with large patches of foam covering the glass. I’m no Three Floyds shill, but goddamn, this is really a delicious beer. But to call this an American Wheat is rather misleading. Or, I guess there’s a different perspective -- perhaps brewers of American Wheats should use this as their benchmark.

notwoohoo (109) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - AUG 31, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 29, 2005 Wow. The aroma really sticks out. So much great hoppyness with the amarillo, citrusy, lemony. Taste is first and foremost, of hops. The lightness of the wheat follows, and then a citrus/lemony aftertaste leaving the palate light. A good american wheat, though not a "hefferwhyzen" like my buddy referred to it as :)

fmbrewing (12) - Dodgeville, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 26, 2005
This hoppy beer is one of the best fully hopped beers I have ever tasted! I am not a huge fan of really hoppy beers but I could drink this one all nite!

eboats (1082) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - AUG 24, 2005
American Wheat? Either this is the benchmark of the style or it isn’t an American Wheat at all. Bronze with a white head. Aroma is highly piney and citrus(grapefruit/lemon). Very smooth, but still a good malt body. Flavor is citrus and malty...grapefruit and lemon. Just phenomenal.

mephisto (1294) - TAIWAN - AUG 22, 2005
dried hopped wheat beer? almost like an apa though it still has some wheat texture. floral aroma of hops, the flavor is hoppy too. interesting brew.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2005
Lathers up with nice head. Body is clear and golden. The bubbles continue to rise throughout the tasting. Maybe the name is influencing my senses, but I can smell why this has "gumball" in the name. At the end, there is a refreshing lemony custard finish.

MullMan (1099) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2005
golden yellow clear color, moderate fizz in the body. fluffy and rocky white head. smells like a IIPA, hops and grapefruit peel. tastes like a 1 1/2 IPA, a little pine flavor, and some grapefruit juice, a little flowery too. lively carbonation. medium to light mouthfeel. fairly bitter aftertaste. I can’t taste the wheat because this is more like an IPA. I’m missing the sweetness that a wheat beer normally has. I get a little frustrated when American brewers take a style and sandbag it by going gonzo on the hops. gotta take some overall points off for doing that. regardless of style its a good brew. thanks, Secret Santa!!

tjthresh (1875) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - AUG 10, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2009 Enjoyed on tap at the brewery. Outstanding amarillo aroma. Straw yellow served with no head. It was hard to get a good look at it becasue 3F serves their beer in a plastic cup. I love the flavor of amarillo hops. Very bitter for the style. I thought it was kind of harsh to drink. Overall, I wouldn’t expect any less that this from these guys.

Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 9, 2005
Pours gold with a nice white head. Smells of lemons, yogure and grapefruit. Tastes of oranges, and has a bit of an IPA feel to it. Great mouthfeel. Perfect summer beer.

HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 8, 2005
Cloudy orange with a dissipating head and little lacing. Citrus and bread in the nose. Big grapefruit, floral, pine flavors with fruit and malt to balance. Very drinkable. Just right on a summer day.