overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 1697   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
An American Wheat Beer brewed with red wheat and boat loads of amarillo hops gives this summer brew a lemony finish. The slight haze in the bottle is from the bottle-conditioning, where yeast is added to the bottle for a secondary fermentation. Gumballhead is a Skingraft Comics hero. Check out Skingraft Comics and Records at www.skingraftrecords.com. Cheers!

Sammy (12210) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 18, 2004
A top 10% beer for me. An easy drink with lower than average alcohol. Just a great taste and wonderful grapefuit aroma. The wheat, some nice complementary spice and beautifully hopped.

Nuffield (4171) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 16, 2004
I don’t know that I was all that thrilled by this, which is not to say that I wasn’t impressed by it, only that it hit me in odd ways. First, for appearance there isn’t anything too shocking going on--just a bit of simple white yeast floaties and a basically yellow body, not much head. O.k., move on. Appearance rarely makes or breaks a beer. As I sat with Lumpy at my kitchen table, we both reacted at how clearly the hops leap out of this, strongly citrus, mostly grapefruit, and I had a sense of some anise later on. The flavor had lots of citrus, too, of course, prompting comparisons with IPAs and APAs, but I found some bubblegum notes that tickled my fancy whenever I thought my tongue had latched onto it. I couldn’t hang on--it is difficult to hang onto anything with ones tongue, I guess. Very dry, with a hint of pepper and tea leaves, and the hops are notable--I certainly can’t pick out amarillo hops from a blind taste test but I am inclined to attribute much to their influence, especially some grassy strains. I was most disappointed by the palate; for me it was too limp, though it had some moderate body. I thought it really needed a carbonated life (not exactly fizz but at least something zingy). Otherwise it was fine, but it just wasn’t my cup of tea, I mean, glass of beer.

verymerrymonk (413) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Very boring in appearance - like a typical ballpark brew but slightly cloudier. Aroma is of hops and citrus. Grapefruit, syrup, and hop bitterness abound in the flavor of this beer. Absolutely delicious and very drinkable by the low ABV. After a few tastings I think I see the niche this beer fills.

Lumpy (1802) - Carrollton, Texas, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Bottle. Very hoppy nose. Lemonade like body with no head. Very hoppy, zesty, citrusy beer. Slightly acidic. Other flavors that come out are honey, candy, and bubblegum. I was very, very impressed by this beer. Thanks to Nuffield for sharing this one. Excellent, excellent beer!

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 11, 2004
very lacey head atop a budweiser yellow color..very fresh aroma of hops, straw, cotton candy, honey, and fresh cut grass...candy and grass flavors..nice, light, refreshingly nice..not too wheaty or yeasty which is a nice change...maybe a little lemon-citrus feel to it too.

Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 7, 2004
Big lemon and pineapple w/ hints of sweetness (possibly sugar candy). This beer poured a clear yellow/orange w/ good head and lacing. The flavor was big! Lemony and oaky, hints of banana and pine/clove. The mouthfeel was tangy w/ major effervescence.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
This brew pours with a golden body topped by a thin white head with some lacing. The aroma is sweet yet bitter and hoppy with nice citrus notes and a little grass. Nice aroma...different for a wheat beer. The flavor is sweet and fruity with a little citrus, some grass and a little bitter hoppiness. Light to medium bodied and dry.

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - DEC 5, 2004
Bottle. Thanks to jcalabre for sharing at the Pizza Port 8th Strong Ale Festival. Light yellow orange, decent sized head. Lemon and other citrus notes, sweetness perhaps derived from honey, some hops and yeasty essence balances. A decent take on the style, light and refreshing.

erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - DEC 3, 2004
Thanks to tannertavernboys for sharing. Pours a lite orange with a big bubbly head. Piney peachy aromas that just wreak of amarillo hops. This is the beer to experience if you want to know what this hop’s characteristics are. Really fluffy velvety body. Really does have a bubblegum like flavor (Yeast?) with some soft mango and papaya flavors too. Not really much bitternesss at the end considering how much flavor and aroma hops were present. Definitely the best american wheat barenone.

ClarkVV (6708) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 2, 2004
2004 bottle. Pours a moderately deep copper-orange with some light red tints, must be from the wheat. Good off-white head, mostly disipating. Slight haze from the yeast injection, but quite filtered other than that. Aroma of light citrus, from the dominant amarillo hops. Light nectarine, tangerine and honey notes as well as a dry wheatiness. Flavor starts out with light grapefruit, sweet and succulent fresh hops, plenty of light malt sweetness. Great amount of hard red wheat flavor on the finish, with tons of grassy tones. The malt is tremendously well represented, creating a wonderful backbone to match the loads of amarillos in here. Finish is wheaty, grassy and lightly bitter, mostly dry. Medium to medium-full body, with some thinning as it warms. Yeast apparency is very low and while everything else in this beer screams #1 american wheat beer I’ve tried, ultimately Bell’s Oberon imparts an aggressive yeastiness that adds another layer of complexity, lacking in the gumbalhead. Granted Oberon uses a German yeast, so it is a partially-unfair comparison. But yeast or no yeast, the highly unfiltered nature of Oberon in the bottle puts it a notch above Gumbalhead.