overall
RATINGS: 265   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Russian Style Imperial Stout aged for ten months in oak barrels. Rich and delicious.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 1, 2004
My first encounter with this beer, which took a Gold at the GABF back in 2001, finished in a Jack Daniel’s barrel and served at the 7th Anniversary party. Pours out black as my morning coffee, with a shallow brown ring of foam atop. Judicious 10 ounce serving. Aroma is rich and strong, sending off a panoply of associations, carob, maple, a hint of charcoal and a wisp of leather, but cocoa is taking the lead...big with the bourbon, though still, somehow velvety smooth. Whiskey tones ride a sidecar next to the chocolate. Some glimmers of juicy fruit interject and jumpabout in the flavor, too. Staggeringly complex! Slick, thick texture on the tongue, full bodied, long, deep finish, huge mouthfeel. Yet, still, unbelievably smooth This was deliriously good! Had two samples, that I can remember, and so wish I could take it home and enjoy as a nightcap. If it were more accessible, perhaps that could prove to be a detriment to my participation in good society?

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2005 WOW. What a great brew. Perfect balance of malt, sweetness, and alcohol presence. Every sniff, let alone every sip is a full onslaught on one’s senses. Ethereal stuff. Barrel-aging really mellows the roast quality and adds light sweetness. Really great effort. Worth the trip in itself to the Twin Cities.

trail_and_ale (43) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - FEB 8, 2011
Sampled at Winterfest 2011: poured perfectly with a dark, thick and creamy head. Aroma was equal parts malty, hoppy and smokey. Prefect balance with the malts and hops throughout and a slight sticky/caramel finish. A very strong brew (9.3 abv) that I had rated as 2nd best at the ’Fest.

BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 5, 2004
Served at 7th Anniversary Celebration. Beautiful and impressive sample of the style. World Class with notes of maple and rasin with, as Pigfoot notes, hints of leather. Gorgeous.

ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2005
Creamiest malt-shop chocolate half inch of ecru head I’ve ever seen. Where’s my cherry? Aroma is simple vanilla butterscotch. Flavor, however, is com-pli-ca-ted!!! Chocolate sportsake, molasses and honey green tea, mild alcohol riding the roasty grains, and sweet milk chocolate. A slightly bitter/sour one-two punch finishes it off. Mouthfeel is rich, creamy, leaning toward the lighter side of the fence but not tipping over. Nice lacing. Mellow tasty mellow, but I can feel the thunder coming. Toward the end (bottom quarter), I caught a delicious nose-whiff of bourbon. Damn!

Kevin (2217) - Montana, USA - JUL 23, 2006
Tar pulled this gem out at our cellar blow out. Wow. I did not know what I was getting into here. Umm, yeah that’s black, not pitch, but just black with a gray head. Smells of vanilla, chocolate, brandy, whiskey, oak, naked women, coffee, peanut butter fudge. Taste is fudge-peanut butter-cocoa, light dark figiness, doughy and powdery. It is beautiful. Cocoa powdery dry caramel finish. Like coating my tongue with good chocolate. Great scalded latte taste. I want more. Ap-4 ar-10 tas-9 pal-5 ov-19

Rhapsudsy (7) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 25, 2007 does not count
One of the tastiest, most well-rounded beers I’ve had. This went down smooth even with the high ABV. Not harsh in the least.

Tweety (377) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 29, 2010
WOW! Huge thanks to BDR for this huge treat. Probably the best marriage I’ve ever had between bourbon and stout. Not the usual overpowering bourbon up front makes me wonder if this was aged for a shorter period or in second-run barrels.