RATINGS: 9   MEAN: 3.76/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 17   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Our hands were full with this project that began with a Rye Bourbon barrel that began it’s life in 2006. To this fine barrel we added our Strong Belgian Brune, dark chocolate, and some kumquats. Many moons of aging gave us something we are proud to serve at Winterfest. Try it lightly carbonated or maybe still

Most RecentTicked By

jackl (8597) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2016
Keg @ Town Hall. Deep brown with Amber highlights. Fruity esters. Plum and banana skin. Mellow vanilla and hot bourbon character. Flavor is generally sweet with a hot finish. Accents of chocolate syrup. Peanut brittle. Mild tangy fruit skin. Full body. Soft carb. Oily.

Steve_0 (3818) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 19, 2015
On tap at the Brewery. Pour is murky amber-brown with a big tan head and decent lacing. Sticky malty, molasses, brown sugar, caramel, raisins, figs, and toffee in the aroma. Taste is tangy, oxidized, caramel, toffee, prunes, brown sugar, bread, and raisins with a touch of heat on the backed. Slick mouthfeel with soft carbonation. Kind of different - very barleywine-esque.

badgerben (5388) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - MAR 1, 2015
Dark brown color with no head. Aroma of bananas and chocolate. Very yeasty flavor. Solid chocolate and a non-descript fruitiness. Light vanilla and bourbon.

ChrisSc (465) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 23, 2015
Sample at brewery. Minneapolis. Pours dark chocolatey brown, mostly opaque but not totally. Very little head. Aroma is toffee, charred barrel, alcohol, chocolate, dark roasted malts. Taste is mildly bitter, especially in the finish. Medium body, sharp carbonation, long finish. Fairly complex, but lacking some body and finesse.

arminjewell (9744) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - FEB 22, 2015
Pour on tap at the brewery, dark brownish pour with off white head, aroma brought notes of tart fruit, earth, bread into some cocoa, roast, some slight orange peel, touch of grainy notes as well. Taste was a mix of cocoa, roast, slight earth into nice orange, slight tart fruit, hints of oak, earth into a bit of bourbon, slight yeast, finishing fairly bitter, slightly tart. Interesting.

deyholla (12663) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2015
On tap at the brewery. Pours a hazy amber with a bit of a brown hue and a light brown head that dissipates to the edges. Aroma has sweet grains and light sweet fruits with some Belgian yeast and a bit of bread. Flavor has sweet grains and a bit of sugar backed by some sweet fruits, a bit of bitter chocolate and a bit of bread.

BVery (11494) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - FEB 1, 2014
Sampled at Winterfest 2014. Reddish amber pour with a smaller head. Nose was actually a little mild, but it had a monster taste. A little boozy, but I like that. Really nice beer.

Bacterial (3080) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 1, 2014
Pour at Winterfest - I tried this still so I could let the flavors just sit around in my mouth without any acidity imparted by CO2 in solution. I meant to go back and try it carbonated as well. I really appreciate the option to try it natural and with forced carbonation (unnatural). The Brits would be proud! Clear brown pour with no head. Brown sugar, just a hint of fruit and lots of toffee, oak and bourbon. Really fine to sip and savor.

islay (3185) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 1, 2014
Small pour, on draft at Winterfest 2014 in St. Paul, MN. Consumed on 1-31-14. They offered carbonated and still versions. Because I enjoy the aroma, flavor, and mouthfeel of beer and don’t waste my resources pretending to enjoy watery, bland brown liquid, I of course went with the carbonated version (Hear that, brewers? Carbonate your beers, damn it!). Sharp aroma features kumquat and chocolate scents. Really enjoyable, interesting smell. Pours reddish brown with taupe head. Quite sweet taste reminds me of a chocolate-covered key-lime coconut candy. Tangy taste from the fruit. Medium to heavy body. This is a damn good and intriguing beer, one of my favorites from the festival, and it nearly earned my vote for the Snowshoe award for best of the festival (I ended up voting for Fitgers World 25/25 IPA).