overall

RATINGS: 15   MEAN: 3.71/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Another beer made with Peace Coffee. Dark and rich American Black Ale with distinct coffee, earthy, smoky, roasty notes.

joebrew (608) - Farewell Minny; Hello Puyallup, Washington, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Pours a jet black, and the nose is dominated by cofee. The nose also has some hints of chocolate, and a little floral bite. The mouthfeeel is like a chocolate covered espresso bean. The coffe is more present in this beer than any other I have tried, but they pull it off. This is definately not a beer for a coffee hater, but if you love a good espresso this is a must try.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - JAN 27, 2007
Tap @ BP. A very nice coffee beer. Not overdone w/ coffee, as many are. Subtle coffee undertones w/o any perceivable bitterness from the coffee. Very good.

badgerben (5214) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Black color with a fairly thick head that takes a while to collapse. Not as strong a coffee aroma that I had expected considering Town Hall’s track record on coffee beers, but it’s definitely there. A bit of sugar, too. The taste, to me, is really all coffee. It’s not bad at all, but I don’t get chocolate, roasted malt, hops, or anything else from this beer. Bitterness sure, but I think it’s from the coffee.

Stine (1792) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 16, 2007
I admit this one threw me for a loop as well. It reminded me a bit of a foreign stout like Lion, with its milky, sort of candied dark sugar flavor. Aroma is all coffee, very dark, very earthy and charred. Bits of cherry and sour milk in there too. Subdued cocoa and the generally soapy, astringent qualities of French roast are most apparent. Medium bodied brew that is a generally quiet and understated choice for winter enjoyment. Man, it just really reminds me of Lion Stout.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2007
Hoops, you consarned ornery so-and-so! Once again, a brew we just can’t peg! There’s no slot for "American Black Ale", or any kind of black ale, it ain’t a brown, and there’s no specific designation for a coffee beer available, so I’m filing this under porter, just to get it over with! Another team-up with PEace Coffee, this time using Sumatran French Roast beans. "Retreating Darkness", though, sounds like a wishful thinking type of name for the dead of winter. Anyway, let’s drink it... Dark, dark color, nearly black, showing some slight transparency near the bottom, with a big, espresso-esque, toasted tan head. Aroma is a monster, loud and proud, rich, roasty, earthy, as coffee as you’re gonna get. Wow. Gorgeous. If you love coffee, like me, you’re in heaven. I’ve smelling this too long, gonna have to actually start drinking it! Big flavor, big mouthfeel, nothing but coffee and black malts. Thick presence in the mouth, but lushly textured, and surprisingly refreshing. Certainly not a porter, though I really can’t think of where else I could have placed this one. I say, "who cares?" Rich, roasty, some mild cocoa notes, and, yes, slightly smoky, as well. And really damned good! Really, really good! Great winter brew, especially for a day like today when the snow fell on a Sunday and the next day was a federal holiday, plows are slow, and we were so accustomed to the mild winter we were handed. This is kind of winter warmer we need right about now. Nice job!