overall
RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 3.65/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
All the ingredients of spring....Lighter in color than most winter beers, lighter in malt than most winter beers, but still very crisp noticable hops.....much like that spring breeze

sthlm (790) - Blank, Alabama, USA - MAR 7, 2008
[On-tap] Pours dark amber with a decent beige head. I found the aroma to be quite subdued, even after letting it sit for quite some time. Mostly it was citrusy hops, but there was light caramel malt too. The taste was extremely bitter when first tried cold. As it warmed though, the bitterness decreased, leaving only a light remnant of that taste up front. Citrusy grapefruit followed by malt with milk chocolate and a hint of some type of grain--barley maybe? in the finish. Quite thick with a long finish. A very nice IPA that changed quite a bit over time and was very drinkable.

Stine (1780) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Pours hazed and red; a robust and pleasant appearance. Creamy aroma of toffee, soft caramel, and cotton candy, with hints of golden fruits and earthiness showing around the edges. Classic. Taste is firm and malty with lots of gingerbread dough and cushy vinous fruit character of raspberry and grape. Some cocoa. Floral and mineral bitterness dry out the mid palate, and last through to the finish. Medium palate is chewy and smooth, with a great quenching character. Altogther, this is a perfect beer for spring, not brisk enough to provide summer refreshment and not heavy enough to accompany winter depression, but exactly right to drink when stepping inside from the rain, giving all the subtle richness and soft bitter comfort the best english ESB could offer. Well done.

Syd (921) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 2, 2008
I tasted the cask version of this last week at the brew pub. It appeard amber brown with a cask off white head and descending bubbles - very attractive. The aroma and flavor both consisted of very nice and fresh flavored malt and hops - sort of spring like(?). This one was a joy to try and I could drink it all day. I’ll update after I have the non-cask version as I feel the need to have it a bit colder and carbonated.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 2, 2008
I’m taking a wild guess at the style on this one, as it’s really an enigma of a beer. It appeared at the pub without any notice, and when I asked about it, a server could only say "it’s a maltier IPA." I think that’s not far off. The website says this: "All the ingredients of spring....Lighter in color than most winter beers, lighter in malt than most winter beers, but still very crisp noticable hops...much like that first spring breeze." More mysterious. Of course, we’re far from a spring breeze, but obviously not intended to any style, so my guess is as good as any. But, let’s have at it, any way... Hazy, light brown color, nice cocoa-tan head, slim, but steady... Hoppy aroma, mixed with caramel malt. Green and brown. Taste: here’s where it counts. Smooth, malty, hoppy, delicious. Easy-drinking, full flavored, long finish, full bodied, but never obtrusive, never too this or too that. Sweet, sweet, dark, tasty malt, with a brace of hop bitterness dancing a dervish on the tongue as well. Great mix of flavors. Dark, malty, hoppy, damned delicious. This is something else. I love that it fits no category I can think of, and I’m probably way off base in the designation, but if you can come up with a better one, go for it! I can’t stop drinking this beer, though, it’s light enough to keeping passing by the lips, and hoppy enough to keep my tongue happy, and malty enough to keep the other part of my tongue occupied .... Reminds me of an India Brown, but with a different malt profile. Plainly put, it’s like chocolate meets hops. Very drinkable, even sessionable, with so much flavor...not too light, not too light...love it!