overall
Brewed by Traquair House
Style: Traditional Ale
Innerleithen, Borders, Scotland

RATINGS: 1517   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
The famous Bear Gates guarding the approach to Traquair House, near Pebbles, have been closed since 1745 - when the last person to pass through them was Bonnie Prince Charlie.

Now, 250 years later, the ancient Traquair Brew House celebrates the Jacobite cause by producing this potent spiced ale to a traditional fine recipe. Sip slowly and remember the old toast to the "King O'er the Water."

3daddict (139) - Portland, Maine, USA - JUL 24, 2005
Pours a dark brown with a very thin head. The aroma of coriander was apparent even during the pour. What the hell is coriander anyway? The result was a toasted sweet malt with a yeasty spice pumpkin bread smell. Wow! The taste immediately transported me back to my Scottish origins and I had an image of sitting at an old country B&B and having ordered this magnificant brew on tap and revelling in the coup of this unexpected experience. This stuff is great and I can sense wildly addictive. This glass disappointently disappeared in the ether of existance and begged to be revisited. This is the best beer I’ve ever drank and even as subjective as that is, I stand by it. I also need more...

mephisto (1287) - TAIWAN - JUL 22, 2005
bottled, dark brown w/ biege head. intense nose of malt and caramel w/ a hint of spice. complex, malty body.

jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - JUL 19, 2005
Pours very dark reddish-brown with a one-finger off-white head. Slight lacing. Very floral and spicy aroma, with rosemary and heather vying for dominance. Some toffee and cola is there, as well. Toward the middle of the glass, bready malts are coaxed out with some swirling. The rosemary is in the flavor, this time side-by-side with coriander. Slight roasted malt flavors. No hoppiness to speak of. My burps taste like rose petals. Full mouthfeel but a flavor that’s a bit of a let-down after the excellent aroma. Still very good. Surprisingly drinkable, unless you consider the price.

y0cola (361) - fremont, California, USA - JUL 15, 2005
nice and spicy. very thick and sat well in my mouth. had hints of corriander and pepper but was a bit salty.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - JUL 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 14, 2007 This smells good. I don’t know what coriander smells like so I’ll guess that, but there is ample caramel/chocolate and dark fruit as well. This is really a fantastic smelling beer. Garnet brown in color. Close to headless. Wow that is good. Huge black licorice flavors....more coriander-something I can’t peg whatever it is....THIS IS TASTY! Anise, chocolate/caramel and prunes and raisins. Wow man I feel like an arse for waiting so long to try this. I had the chance about a million times. Very good mouth feel too. This is a great beer!

Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 18, 2005
Burgandy pour with a little creamy head. Aroma was dominated by the coriander, with was quite pleasant. Very complex flavor with some spices including light coriander, caramel, and a little bread. Nicely balanced malt backbone. Very smooth mouthfeel. Coriander came back in the nice long finish.

crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 11, 2005
Wow, what a delicious beer. I had trouble finding this for a little while, but it was certainly worth the wait. Flavor is rich, complex, and spicy. I also got some smokey hints too. One of the best I have had in a while.

GonZoBeeR (3061) - ste-catherine, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 6, 2005
Aroma:Big caramel aroma..... Appearance:Redish brown,good head.... Flavor:Caramel,i not found the coriander....

BeerBlockaid (683) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUN 5, 2005
Good till 2011! I might have to go buy a few more just to age them. Nice dark pour, almost stout like with a medium head and not much lacing. Taste is smooth and soft with and end of small bitter. Lots of blended citrus with caramel, and coriander. Roasted nuts, and some licorice layed in there over a scotch like finish. mmm..only bad thing I could find about this thing is the price. 4.99 (O_O)

HogTownHarry (6622) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - MAY 28, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2005 Bottle (330ml). Dark amber pour, delicate lace head, complex aromas and tastes. Very sweet. Blend of vanilla (faint), Pez candy(!) and burnt or roasted malt with a complex of spices in the finish. Not quite a dessert beer, but one to savour when up for something different.