overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Bosteels (AB-InBev)
Style: Abbey Tripel
Buggenhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 3258   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Bottle conditioned.
First brewed 1996; claimed to be based on a recipe from 1679 which used wheat, oat and barley.
Tripel Karmeliet is a very refined and complex golden-to-bronze brew with a fantastic creamy head. These characteristics derive not only from the grains used but also from restrained hopping with Styrians and the fruity nature (banana and vanilla) of the house yeast. Aroma has hints of vanilla mixed with citrus aromas. Tripel Karmeliet has not only the lightness and freshness of wheat, but also the creaminess of oats together with a spicy lemony almost quinine dryness.

godofsky (274) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 4, 2010
UPDATED: FEB 18, 2011 bottle from SAQ. poured into tulip. clear gold colour with a big head that lasts throughout the beer. aroma is sweet and fruity, strawberry and raspberry, some woody notes with herbs and spices in there too. soft and bubbly on the palate. taste is sweet, with some floral notes. not as much hops in the finish as i expected from a Tripel. very tasty.

TLNash886 (228) - Idaho, USA - JAN 4, 2010
Pours light yellow into a tulip with a decent off white head. Aroma of lemongrass, little bit of hops, bit floral. Interesting taste: lemon, bit of malty sweetness, bit of spice, pear, orange peel. Medium bodied with a fizzy mouthfeel; surprisingly drinkable. Tripels are often some of my least favorite beers, but this was quite lovely.

spkevin (440) - Doetinchem, NETHERLANDS - JAN 2, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2010 bottle. pours a beautiful blond gold beer with a good head. fruity aroma with typical belgian beer hints. very nice taste with fruits and great wheat hints. full mouthfeel. great beer. one of the best tripels I’ve had.

puzzl (3260) - New York, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2009
Bottled. The 3rd to last beer in my (rather simple) quest to rate all the top 50 most rated beers. This was one I passed up for far too long, merely because it was so readily available but slightly pricey. However, a $4 Belgian that was way too expensive a few years ago is now not a bad deal at all.

This pours initially a very clear gold with a nice, large bubbled head that fades pretty fast. An addition of the yeast (which was deemed critical after my first smell and sip) made it quite cloudy and nice, with some lacing that lasts in the glass and minor, actively rising carbonation.

The aroma is at first fruity and sweet, highlighting strawberry and pomegranate, and transitions to a more herbal, woodsy profile as the beer breathes and warms. While mostly licorice and alcohol when still, agitation provides a welcome complexity. However, the nose is a bit too sweet to me and lacking in a forward, doughy yeast that I always hope for in the best tripels.

The flavor is calm and inviting, displaying a mild sweatiness through with notes of egg, thyme, and mild tropical fruits. The carbonation is quite low and rather soft; I could do with a bit more here. There is a short, sweet finish, which leaves a bit of sugar on the lips, but there is a lack of complexity that I find disappointing.

In the end, I must say this one was a disappointment. Tripels to me are a theoretically fantastic style, yet I can find so few examples that truly impress me. With the very high rating on this one I expected an undiscovered (to me) gem that I’d been passing up for way too long, but instead was let down by a fairly straight-forward, too sweet (marginally) beer that differs little from most else out there. Guess I’ll have to keep looking.

PolishHammer (124) - Norwalk, Connecticut, USA - DEC 29, 2009
Great beer! Golden color, with fruits -strawberry?- and carmelized sugar. Not overly sweet or sticky, but very nicely balanced. A tripel to rival Chimay as my favorite.

dutchbeerpages (2439) - Wilnis, NETHERLANDS - DEC 28, 2009
Very lively beer, lot of things to look at. white foam, lots of it. Has that pale tripel look.Very complicated and interesting flavor, slightly bitter finish but with some white chocolate?

tastybeer (1853) - Indiana, USA - DEC 26, 2009
Bottle (green bottle, really?). Pours golden with a big foamy white head. Sweet sugar taste with apples and floral notes. Best tripel I’ve tried to date.

harbert (100) - leiden, NETHERLANDS - DEC 24, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 6, 2012 apple, then leather, hay and hops, floral taste with hints of vanilla. A rather sweet taste with enough bitterness that has more lenght then intensity ending in a field of roses.

spanky167 (17) - , UNITED STATES VIRGIN ISLANDS - DEC 23, 2009
Good tripel. Sweeter than most if my memory serves me right. Big head, and easy to drink. Right up there with Unibroue and Westmalle.

kevd193213 (992) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - DEC 22, 2009
UPDATED: JAN 12, 2014 750 mL bottle. Golden pour with a huge white fluffy head. Aroma of malt, grass and bread. Medium body with a taste of bread, Belgian yeast, slight hops and malt. Great dry, malty finish.