overall
RATINGS: 69   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
To appeal to the hard drinking populace of Czarist Russia, English brewers developed this very strong (9% abv) and rich style of beer. Black and viscous, and heavily hopped, it became a favorite of the Imperial court, from which it takes its name.
2011 vintage - 9.0% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - SEP 4, 2004
Very nice pour, black as night with a nice half inch head. Lots of lacing as I drink this one. Heavy body, notes of chocolate, malt, and some anise. Finish has an alcohol kick, not too much for a 9.5% brew. Very nice brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nate (4263) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2004
Sweet chocolate, roasted malt aroma. Smoky notes, coffee. Black with creamy tan lacing head. Thick watery body with smooth carbonation. Starts sweet with chocolate, coffee, Twizzlers. Smooth alcohol, vanilla, oak. Light acidity, medium bitter dry finish. Nutty sweet bitter after. Decent imperial stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - AUG 16, 2004
New Hope, PA. Just an amazing stout. Just so viscous and rich and coffee tones. The 9% abv makes itself known but is well blended by all the other flavors. Excellent job Triumph

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2004
I like to judge brewers on the big beers that they brew. This may be right or wrong but since I dont care for the small stuff, thats all I got. That being said, this stuff was one of the highlights of the Stoudts Festival for me. The Triumph guys knew me by name by the time it was all said and done. Rich, dark, coffee and chocolate were all over this stuff. Sweet and dry at the same time. Time to take a road trip to Princeton.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
obxdude10 (2296) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 14, 2004
Very impressive imperial stout, I too can vouch for the 11% strength in this beer, pitch black color, minimal head, fruity nose with hints of dark chocolate & burnt malt, more chocolate in the flavors along with dark roasted coffee & dates, a slight hint of the alcohol strength in the flavors, medium-full body, very enjoyable stout

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
egajdzis (6239) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2004
The reps from Triumph at the Stoudts event called this 11%. Poured opaque black with no head. Aroma of figs, and other dark fruits, chocolate, roasted malts, and cofffee. Chocolate and coffee taste, light alcohol taste. The only problem here is that it might be too thin.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (10215) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 28, 2004
Had this on draft at the Manayunk event. In my opinion, this was by far the beer of the show, and one of the best beers I have ever had. I was fortunate enough to have this as my first beer of the day at Manayunk, and it blew me away. I said to one of the ladies working the Triumph booth, "This event just started and I may have already tasted the beer of the show!" I was right. Pours dark black, with a huge, gorgeous tan head and continued lacing. Aroma of roasty malt, creaminess, nuts, coffee, molasses, and chocolate. Tastes very creamy, malty, with hints of coffee, chocolate, nuts, cream, roastiness, and hop presence at the finish. Very well hidden alcohol. One of the best beers I have ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
amx1970390 (480) - Southampton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 15, 2003
The best beer I had from Triumph, very thick and black. About the most creamy beer I have ever had. I could have used a slightly more bitter finish that I have come to exspect in a Imperial Stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - JAN 29, 2003
Wow. In one word, I would describe this beer as "Big". It is midnight black, extremely thick, and huge on flavor. There is a definite alcohol presence. However, it is nicely hidden behind a wall of flavor. This has to be one of my favorite beers I have had.