RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 3.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Scratch #72 is a walk down memory lane for one of our brewers. Inspired by a thirst for neither big nor hoppy, Tim Mayhew drew inspiration from the London porters he frequently consumed. Here are Tim’s tasting notes: “Most people drink robust porters and are familiar with that dominant roasted flavor. Scratch #72 has strong caramel and chocolate notes with hints of roast. Fuggle hops impart an earthy flavor found in many English ales.”

Ticked By

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
orangesol (987) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 26, 2012
Served on-tap at the brewery. A - Pours deep dark brown, nearly pitch black, with a nice one and a half finger tall tan head leaving spotty trails of lace down parts of the glass. S - Smells of bakers chocolate, dark roasted malt, a dash of hop bitterness and a touch of extra sugary sweetness as it comes to room temperature. The roast is still there but it takes a back seat to the chocolate. T - Starts off with plenty of chocolate and caramel malts slowly giving way to hints of mild spice / bitterness from the fuggle hops with the dark roast bringing up the rear, lingering on the palate long after the finish. M - Smooth body and feel with plenty of dark flavors to keep me interested. Moderate carbonation throughout. O - A low ABV, flavorful porter you say? I am in. I had no trouble finishing my glass in no time flat. I still enjoy roasty robust porters but these english porters are growing on me more and more. Nice work tim!