overall
RATINGS: 1159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
For periods of fasting without solid foods, Monastic brewers relied on the double bock; a stronger, richer beer to fulfill their basic nutritional needs. Known to them as liquid bread, a double bock has a strong malt aroma and chewy rich body. In the spirited tradition of naming a double bock in the suffix ator, we give you Troegenator to provide warmth and richness through the early spring months.

Hops: Magnum, German Northern Brewer

bunny99 (6) - USA - MAY 2, 2002 does not count
interesting name, tough beer to find. Big, malty and deceivingly smooth. I definitely will be looking forward to my next Troegenaor!

Pringles68 (28) - Audubon, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 29, 2005
ohh wow, this was really nice. smooth, sweet but not fruity and not bitter. i’ll definately buy this again.

burkyburk (16) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 28, 2011
My first ever doppelbock. Loved the alcohol finish. I wish I could find it in Chicago!

Sbachow86 (5) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 23, 2012 does not count
Smooth malty finish. Very sweet finish with hints of honey in the after taste ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

ginotarugo (70) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2017
Fantastic! Smooth. 8.2% ABV well hidden. Best Doppelbock I have had. I like this beer so much I fear moving away from PA and not being to get Troegenator again. I will happily drink this anytime.

fuchebu (146) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 10, 2003
Troegs is an excellent brewery. Troegenator is malty and bready in flavor with a knock out punch. Could easily pass for a German doppelbock.

chinacat1000 (2) - Knox, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2004 does not count
Big fan of doppelbocks and Troegs has nailed it. Head is frothy when poured, then dissipates in minutes, yet leaves nice lace. Aroma is malty with hints of fruit. Well rounded, no off flavors. Hops chime in at the end with a little bite of alcohol. I can drink multiples in an evening. My favorite double bock, and a truly great beer. One of my favorites for under $30 a case.

Nejhleader (1560) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2009 One of the best beers according to my mouth. beware of the troegenator. I don’t like the new design.

Braudog (6716) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - SEP 10, 2006
What a nice pour ... shiny red with a towering head that clung to the side of the glass in a desperate attempt to stay afloat. Big bready aroma. Chewy and flavorful, like a holiday cake with a bit of brandy and brown sugar, this fills you up.

jlf278 (288) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAR 19, 2007
I absolutely loved this beer. 12 oz. - dark amber, not like picture, with just a bit of foam. Full, round and smooth. Tastes like caramel, chocolate and grapefruit. Not cloying to me, just delicious with no hints to its 8.2% abv. Pretty inexpensive too