overall
RATINGS: 1159   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%
For periods of fasting without solid foods, Monastic brewers relied on the double bock; a stronger, richer beer to fulfill their basic nutritional needs. Known to them as liquid bread, a double bock has a strong malt aroma and chewy rich body. In the spirited tradition of naming a double bock in the suffix ator, we give you Troegenator to provide warmth and richness through the early spring months.

Hops: Magnum, German Northern Brewer

DrnkMcDermott's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrnkMcDermott (3099) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 16, 2012
Bottle dated 09.09.09. From my trade with MrBunn. I’ve decided that despite their high abv, doppelbocks probably should be laid to age too long. This one was fine, but some yeast has settled out and autolyzed, I think. Still, a big malty nose starts under the cap and doesn’t let up. Deep brown color. Taste is full of malts. As I suggested, this may have some dead yeast, which you can make work with you on a beer like this. Notes of clove too. Overall, a pleasant experience to drink. Hmm, no sediment on the bottom, so part of my opinion goes out the window. This wouldn’t stop me from ever having one again.

Lager43 (46) - Watertown, Connecticut, USA - JUL 18, 2017
This dopplebock beer is a wonderful example of the style . Very nice carbonation and a nice malty beginning with a light fruit finish. This is a great Dopplebock for any time of year. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

brigg (677) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 16, 2017
(Bottle) Clear, dark brown-red body with a big beige head. Powerful aroma of berries, caramelized sugar, spices. Flavor has plenty of roasted malt, caramel and brown sugar, dark fruit; vanilla, cinnamon and other spices (nutmeg?); alcohol is noticeable but mild. Pretty tasty and pleasant to drink; goes down smooth. Light to medium body.

SanfordBrewer (1574) - Sanford, Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2017
Translucent mahogany with thin but creamy tan head. Full body with moderately high carbonation.

Aroma: roasty malt, dark fruit, sweet bready munich malt.

Taste: malty sweet with munich and roasted malts, minimal hop character and bitterness, very clean.

True to classic style.

BeerdedDave (1703) - Beckley, USA - MAY 18, 2017
clear, amber color; nice malty aroma; malty flavor - caramel and choclate notes; well balanced; slightly bitter

ginotarugo (70) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2017
Fantastic! Smooth. 8.2% ABV well hidden. Best Doppelbock I have had. I like this beer so much I fear moving away from PA and not being to get Troegenator again. I will happily drink this anytime.

rustbucket0873 (460) - Greenville, South Carolina, USA - MAR 30, 2017
Pours brown with a fluffy tan head. the aroma is chocolate, caramel, earthiness. the flavor is light caramel, earthy, grass, small amount of chocolate and noble hops at the end. leaves palate clean and dry. overall complex and rich.

laminarman (32) - - FEB 8, 2017
Pours a medium brown with small tan head. On the nose chocolate, toast and roasted notes with a little bubblegum. There is a sweet molasses presence that hits you first. A round, malty, full palate that is pleasant and sweet. Pleasant, but doublebocks are not my favorite beers as I like less sweetness present.

Larry_Duffman (535) - - FEB 6, 2017
I poured it from the bottle into a glass. It pours red with a beige head. The head dissipates quickly. The aroma is cherry, medicinal, and chocolate. The taste is cherry, bread, and chocolate. There’s kind of a medicinal aftertaste to it. I’m not a huge fan of the style. Even so, I’ve enjoyed others of this style more.

17Beer (352) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 14, 2017
Big malty smells with a cherry undertone. Pours clear dark mahogany with a tan head that dissipates quickly. Big round tastes of carmel, malt and sweet lingering finish some distinct alcohol but in balance. Mild carbonation and a fizzy mouthfeel. Very creditable.

SONOFWODEN (56) - New York, USA - JAN 1, 2017
This is my first Doppelbock and I really enjoy the style. I have purchased it in both bottles and cans. Great malty, sweet aroma and taste. The one downside is that it does not pour with much of a head which quickly dissipates to nothing. I have tried two different types of glasses with no luck.