overall
Brewed by Engel Brauerei
Style: Imperial Pils/Strong Pale Lager
Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany

RATINGS: 28   MEAN: 3.13/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11/5   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Light golden malty doppelbock

DougShoemaker (3147) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 29, 2002
Citrus and peach smell. Peach colour, small creamy head. Tastes of apricot, and raisins, more like a barley wine. Complex, hides the alcohol well. Very good.

toad99 (15) - USA - APR 15, 2002
Not what I expected for the acl. content. I can’t really compare it with other Dopplebock brews, because I haven’t tried any. But I enjoyed this one so much, that I would gladly try another.

Stefano99 (19) - Ghezzano (Pisa), ITALY - DEC 29, 2001
Finally something different from the usual german lagers! Rich colour and taste, very pleasant!

daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 28, 2001
No head to speak of. Faintly bitter, some citrus. Overall very weak, almost stale.

jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 27, 2001
I saw double bock and decided to give it a whirl. It was nothing super memorable, alot lighter in color than I expected.

shorlin (721) - St. John’s, Newfoundland, CANADA - APR 18, 2001
Kind of flat, both in carbonation and in flavour. I wasn’t very impressed. Perhaps I was expecting too much...

Oakes (17664) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 12, 2001
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2005 It is a good example of the European Strong Lager style with a soft, gently malt character, hint of acidity in the finish, and pear notes. Dangerously drinkable stuff.

PhillyBeer2112 (2850) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUL 20, 2000
The palest and mildest tasting doppelbock I’ve ever seen and tasted- even at 7.4% by vol. Golden colored like a pilsner and even a typical lagerish aroma. However, a strong malt presence and alcoholic strength separates it from regular lagers. Not a bad beer, but it doesn’t compare to doppelbocks like Celebrator and Salvator.