overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 309   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%

Cornfield (5569) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - AUG 31, 2004
A nice white head, good looking cloudy white body, a mildly citric aroma... I find this to be a truly decent wheat, although not my favorite. There was, as I’d noted from other reviewers, a bit of a grassy aftertatste, but it wasn’t unpleassant. This is a good, warm weather drink.

heemer77 (5361) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - AUG 25, 2004
Huge white head in my hefe glass. It left a lot of lacing as I drank it. Nice bright gold coloring and lots of carbonation. The aroma is slight banana and some must. The taste is metallic and has notes of grass and some lemon rinds. This is not the best I have had in the style. However, it is still decent.

NYHarvey (2153) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2004
From the bottle at Yeoman’s Road Pub in Tampa. Looks pretty sitting in the glass. Light gold/yellow. Little aroma I couldn’t detect any wheat notes. Carbonation is what I smelled. Flavor was odd. I can’t taset any wheat either. Sorta watery carbonated and citrus infused Pilsner is what it tastes like. Feels like a lager on the tongue. I’m not sure what this is supposed to taste like, but to me it tastes like a souped up Bud or Coors. Maybe not a bad thing, but not my style.

Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 3, 2004
Light gold. Clear. Thick creamy head and some webbed lacing. Citrus and wheat aromas. Some hints of banana. Flavors are sharp. Citrus bites you. Bittering hops. Wheat. Musky malts. Malty palate, some wheat. Thin body. Finishes citrusy.

BückDich (5477) - McCall, Idaho, USA - AUG 3, 2004
Straw color with a bit of gold, thick retentive head and lacing. Aroma is sweet with esters and a bit of pale malt & wheat. The flavor is watery, citrusy tart and a rush of wheat. Finishes watery, a good malty backbone and a light body. Eh, a watery german hefe, what’s new?

FROTHINGSLOSH (8291) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2006 This is my first Kristalweizen. A Tucher which so far has been a company that has not impressed me overly much. Sampled from a 16 oz brown bottle the beer poured a medium golden color with a large yellow head. The aroma is wheat and a hint of tang. The texture is crisp and clean. There is not a whole lot of flavor to be found. Some wheat. Very mild citrus. Not much else. No aftertaste to speak of. Refreshing but that is all.

RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Pours a clear gold with a large, fluffy white head. Aroma is faint, malty and a bit of fruit, maybe banana. Flavor is similar to Tucher’s Dunkles hefeweizen, but less robust. Not bad, but not my favorite from this particular brewery.

beerguy101 (5364) - Newark, California, USA - JUN 8, 2004
Yellow gold color. Small head. Aroma is fruity, malty and grassy. A medium to light bodied kristal weiss. Malts are fruity with orange and banana flavors. Very clear colors, I am assuming they filter this beer. Slightly spicy hops. Light and refreshing. Smooth and clean. Nothing bad, but nothing really good here either. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

ClarkVV (6962) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 23, 2004
2003 bottle. Pours a light pear-yellow. Kristal clear (haha, get it), absolute massive filtration. Big white head and decent lacing, surprisingly. Aroma is light, smells of warm summer breeze and bananas, with some light orange zest and a touch of spicy hops. Flavor was light and mouthfeel was spritzy. For as much as I hate this style, it did taste pretty good. Citrus, banana, and a good spicy hops bouquet. Dosent have much mouthfeel, no sediment to hang on to. I will say, however, that this wasnt as altogether souless as I thought a Kristalweizen would be.

DerBiermeister (586) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - APR 15, 2004
Billowing foamy head seemingly miles high {exaggerating}, clearer, golden but watery composition (perhaps this is what a Kristall (crystal) Weizen is, though. I guess this is my first Kristall Weizen - I do not remember that specification on a beer before. Well, it's good, but it lacks - particularly in flavour and palate. Contrasted to Tucher's Dunkles Hefe-Weizen, this stuff is weak, diluted swill - but that is too harsh. The Dunkles Hefe-Weizen is a truly great beer, and this one is merely slightly above average. Thus, it is a matter of distinguishing between more-towards-normality or a more-towards-excellence beer. I choose Tucher's outstanding Dunkles Hefe-Weizen.