Twisted Manzanita Where There’s Smoke

overall
Formerly brewed at Twisted Manzanita Ales
Style: Smoked
Santee, California USA

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 3.64/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54/5   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
Smoked Rye Ale brewed with Chile Peppers

fordest (2470) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - FEB 26, 2016
Draft at the brewery. Smoke was definitely evident. wished it had more character than just smoke and hot.

hopscotch (11087) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 19, 2014
Bottle... Pours nearly black with a small, creamy, mushroom-colored head. Decent retention. The aroma is a fusion of campfire smoke, dark chocolate, toasted tree nuts, caramel, earthy spiciness and charcoal. Medium to full-bodied and very effervescent. The flavor is dense and clean, featuring notes of deep-roasted malt, spicy graininess and throat-warming chili peppers. Finishes lightly bitter and radiant. Rock-solid, well crafted beer.

JohnnyJ (5562) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 28, 2014
Bottle. Dark brown, reddish, with a tan head. Moderate smoke, chili pepper, mild chocolate, some rye malt, sweetness, and lasting heat on the tongue. Surprisingly good, balanced smoke and spice.

dwyerpg (6180) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 2, 2014
A light smoke aroma.. This has a fair amount of smoke , it’s noticeable but not overpowering. A definite peaty flavor to it. Some hops as well. A lot of peppers in the finish.

BlackHaddock (7329) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - JUN 13, 2014
18th March 2014: Hopping Pig, San Diego, on-tap. I am not a smoked beer fan even though I love Bamberg. I am not a chilli beer fan even though I love chillies in my food. I ordered it for the novelty and I didn’t like it. This smoked ’Stout’? Just wasn’t for me, the Rye didn’t help either. I can see the attraction of this beer to some but it was a ’Bridge too far’ for my taste buds. I’ve tried to score it objectively, but it sat on a flight with three other beers that I really enjoyed tasting.

marcus (10222) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 30, 2014
Bottle from City Beer. Pours dark brown with a tiny tan head and a smoky chili pepper aroma. There is a full-bodied smoked malt flavor with some chocolate, treacle and a fairly spicy pepper finish.

Blairgus (4613) - California, USA - MAR 7, 2014
7 mar 2014, dark ruby. Nose is smoked malt, burnt toast, meaty. Med body and moderately fizzy. Burnt malt, lightly smoky, moderately spicy. Really nice! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Crompt (122) - York, South Carolina, USA - MAR 1, 2014
Was anxious about this because I’m not a rye fan and last chile beer I had was Ghost Face and it was too brutal for me. Don’t smell any smoke or much chile in this and mouthfeel is pretty thin and carbonated. Now that I’m past the bad things holy chile peppers and in a good way! Hint of smoke on the front and manageable heat on the back end with some rye toffee sweetness. So this has the chile flavor of NB Cocoa Mole but not as sweet and the heat of a good chile stout like GD Choc Yeti or WB Mex Cake. This is my second by this brewery other being their DIPA and both very impressive!

DedicatedToFun (4000) - Santa Monica, California, USA - FEB 14, 2014
Pretty awesome smoked beer, on tap at TRIPEL in Marina Del Rey, lots of smokey flavor in this bad boy

anders37 (26625) - Malmö, SWEDEN - APR 11, 2013
Draft @ the brewery. Pours a dark amber brown color with a small tan head. Has a roasted malty smoky aroma. Roasted malty chocolate smoky flavor with spicy chili hints. Has a roasted malty smoky chocolate finish.