overall
RATINGS: 189   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 10   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
This light-bodied ale has an amazing chili aroma that jumps out at you. We infuse this beer with fresh Serrano, Habenero, Jalapeno, Anaheim, and Fresno chili peppers. Surprisingly, the chili flavor is strong but not overpowering and comes through without lending too much heat. Billy’s Chilies is a very drinkable beer and pairs perfectly with chicken, steak and especially tacos. It finishes dry with a spiciness that will leave you thirsty for more.

tennessejed420 (940) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 1, 2010
bottle. Pours murky orange with small off white bubbly head. Aroma is all pepper, if I was a pepper connoisseur maybe I could distinguish between different pepper tones, but all I can detect now is a bunch of pepper. Bell pepper, hot peppers, and a spiciness. Taste delivers all pepper flavor, which is at first balanced by malts, but on the finish surrenders to a spiciness which is definitely dominating. This is my first chili beer, and it is hard for me to evaluate it. On one hand, I feel like what I traditionally think of as beer is overpowered by the chili. I like spicy food and think that chili could be good in beer but it seems to be too much. On the other hand, well, I kind of like it. Still, definitely couldn’t drink more than one of these. Glad I tried it though.

Strykzone (7797) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - SEP 23, 2010
This beer looks pretty much like a pale lager but the aroma is green peppers and jalapeno. Flavor is big hot pepper. Every once in a while some lager flavors are noted but this is all about pepper. I finished the glass and I am glad it is gone.

oreogobbler (228) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 22, 2010
Very light bell pepper and jalapeno aromas. Pours clear and yellow, and clear, no sign of head. The flavor is very clean and smooth, a light heat in the back of the palate. Flavors of peppers and spice. The palate is clean and smooth. Would be best paired with food, not drank alone. But overall one of the better chili beers I’ve had.

topherh (1929) - Kearney, Missouri, USA - AUG 17, 2010
Pours clear golden with a white head. Aroma is sweet with spicy chili peppers mixed in. Flavor starts sweet and then the chili shows up with lots of spice and heat. Very one dimensional, but one is enjoyable.

jumpjet2k (330) - Houston, Texas, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Bottle. A pale orange in the glass, lightly hazy, with a small head and not much retention. Nose is vegetal - like green bell peppers, if you ask me - and a little chili heat. Flavor mostly just hot, with more of the chili (vegetable) flavors and a little malt sweetness. Certainly the best chili beer I’ve had, but it’s a little one-dimensional. I thought I’d want to drink a full bottle, but it’s seeming less likely now. If I had some tacos to go with it, I have a feeling I’d be enjoying it much more.

AmEricanbrew (7080) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - JUL 2, 2010
Clear dark gold color/ white foam. Big fresh sliced chili pepper aromas. light bodied. Nice vegetal, burning pepper juice flavors on a solid pale malt base, hot pepper burn to finish. good.

MissouriBrent (122) - Missouri, USA - JUN 9, 2010
UPDATED: JUL 2, 2010 Incredible chili aroma! The smell of peppers dominates. My mouth is watering already. An orange-yellow color, its head does not last long. The flavor is pepper with supporting malt sweetness. Delicious! Not hot at all. This beer is all about the flavor of chilies, not their heat. Hops? Hops are a distant after thought and nothing this beer needs. The chili flavor takes the place of hops. The chili flavor is well done and is very satisfying. I’m a fan of chili beers, I have judged more home brewed examples than I can count, and this is by far the best one I’ve ever had. To capture the flavor and aroma of these chilies and have it as drinkable as it is is a real accomplishment.

BMan1113VR (7930) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 28, 2010
Bottle, clear gold, fading white head. Vegital, peppery, earthy, mole, sliced serrano. A bit of heat, pepper, burn, vegital. Bit of pepper spray in the throat. Fizzy, thin.

Nikiel (879) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 23, 2010
The subtle malt flavors of this beer compliment the strong but pleasant hot chili flavors and spices, The hops flavors are almost non-existent, but that works pretty well as the chilis do a good job of counteracting the sweetness of the malts.

degbert (1776) - Austin, Texas, USA - APR 22, 2010
Poured from bottle. Um. OK, I can figure this out, give me a moment. Nose smells like pepperoncinis or canned jalapenos. Color is goldish with a foamy head and some lace. Flavor -- I can tell the peppers are there, they kick in with a pronounced green, grassy heat. What I can’t really taste is the beer; I think that this needed more roasted malt and more hops to counter-balance the salsa verde overtones. Noble try, but I have to consider it a novelty at best.