overall
RATINGS: 286   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.43/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Six kinds of hot chili peppers go into this fiery-ass beer including the infamous ghost pepper. Serrano, jalapeno, habanero, fresno & anaheim also lend their rich flavors to make for a taste-sizzling good time. Keep away from children and the tepid of tongue.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - JUL 15, 2012
BIG thanks to antlerwrestler19 for hooking me up with this one from his recent LIF! Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass, with a glass of milk on the side. Pours like many other chiles beers that Ive sampled - a sort of hazy, silent red gold with a short lived half finger of head that amounts to really no lacing at all. Obvious pepper qualities in the aroma. Not that basic vegetable profile that you find from other beers of this style. Theres obvious heat that showcases that signature BBQ type burn that the ghost chile is known for. There are some subtle malt bits used to support the bite of the peppers. Up front, it drinks like a lemony, light lager. The thin body makes it reminiscent of an easy drinking wheat or something. But just a few seconds after that first taste you get a big wave of heat. The ghost pepper doesnt dominate the same way in this regard. Its a tasty balance of the serrano/jalapeno against the habanero. The anaheim and fresno flavors are (unsurprisingly) lost in the heat of the bigger players. I wish there was a bit more of that ghost pepper bite that I have come to really love. But there is still plenty of heat here to satisfy. Overall, this is the best beer Ive had from the style. Its nothing to look at, but the tastes and aromas that it produces represent everything I look for in an aggressive chile beer. My guess is that the lower ratings come from those certain vagina babies that just cant hang with the heat. If you like chiles, this is a must-try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
dchmela (3045) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JUL 8, 2012
Pours a dark gold with a thin white head. Spicy, smokey pepper aroma, not much else poking through. Smooth malt with some sweetness, but the intense overwhelming pepper seems fine at first, but then becomes too much and the finish becomes spicy as hell. As much as I want to like, I had to pour the last half out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jandd1983 (4098) - Wentzville, Missouri, USA - JUL 7, 2012
Wow! It poured a golden blonde color with no head. The aroma was all distinctly pepper. The taste was the same, a hot mouthfull of pepper that goes all the way down and keeps burning for a long time. I shared this bottle with two others and we all agreed, yikes, this is some hot stuff!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 10/20
rader58 (891) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - JUN 30, 2012
12 oz bottle. Pours clear dark golden in color. Aroma is hot, smokey peppers. Actually burns in the nose and back of throat when smelling. Flavor is pepper! FIRE! This burns so flipping bad. Wow! 3 sips and Im sweating. Im not sure what to do with the rest.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
seymour (1957) - Maplewood, Missouri, USA - JUN 29, 2012
Thanks gregwilsonstl. Tasted from 12oz bottle into snifter. It poured a golden color with weak off-white head. The diverse "pepper-bill"--albeit multi-layered and intriguing--overpowered all other aromas and flavors. This is a bold concept, but barely beer. Smelled like smoke, fleshy/meaty capsisum essence, sweet spice of habaneros, pure heat of ghost chilis, etc. To be honest, I love hot food, but I could only tolerate a few sips. It was an enjoyable and memorable experience, but I cant imagine anyone buys this novelty twice. Ill continue to get my spice by eating "Thai-spicy" green curry with a tamer beer chaser.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Oakes (16655) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 26, 2012
Haze blonde. Smells like bhut jolokia. Massive ghost pepper heat up front, earthy and lingering. Smoky. This represents the ghost chile well, and theres pretty good chile complexity. For those of us who can handle a little heat, this is not a face-melter at all, but a complex, flavourful beer. One of the better chile beers Ive had, all things considered.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
hayduke (5100) - Eureka, California, USA - JUN 21, 2012
This bottle was courtesy of Strykzone. I kept in around a while knowing I was going to want to share it. So last night I took it down to THE LOCAL Beer Bar in Eureka, CA where I was meeting a bunch of friends. Al least I hope they are still m friends after I inflicted this on them. It pours a pale gold color with a bubbly white head and light lacing. The nose is so powerful your eyes water. In fact the aromas coming out of the glass makes my cheeks burn. This one looks scary. . The first real sniff gives a huge blast of hot pepper. Can you drink this? Well yes. The body is medium and the mouthfeel about like holding a lighted match to your tongue. The flavor is mostly chili, but after the shock wears off it become barely drinkable. The the fact that my lips are numb and I am sweating like I am in a sauna need to be ignored. But while way over the the top and you can only drink a couple ounces without the risk of a trip the hospital for burns, this was actually quite interesting. I left the bottle behind with Darren the Proprietor of the beer bar. I figured he could either shock some of his patrons or use it to kill weeds in the sidewalk. It would be as effective as a flame thrower.

0.9
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Bov (12477) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JUN 20, 2012
courtesy of Josh and Sunshine - hazy blond orange beer with a poor head retention; aroma of potatoes and chili; explosion of chili; sharp like hell which makes any other possible characteristic impossible to spot - thank you Josh and Sunshine: my taste buds are out for the next 30 minutes ...

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Scopey (13797) - Croydon, Greater London, ENGLAND - JUN 20, 2012
Bottle. It pours golden yellow, with a thin white head. The nose is green and red chilli pepper, green vegetables, bell pepper and some smoke. The taste is sweet malt, massive spiciness that creeps up on you, lots of red and green chilli pepper, with a very spicy, warming finish. Light-medium body and fine carbonation. The more you drink, the hotter it seems to get. Actually this is not as bad as it sounds, it actually has a depth of flavour. Good for what it is.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
jackl (7466) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUN 15, 2012
Bottle - cheers to Paul! The pour is an unassuming hazy gold with a modest white head. It offers no warning of the punishment thats about to come. The nose is a blast of heavy dry chili flakes. Its a very strong aroma that immediately cleared my sinuses (take that, head cold!). The taste is extremely spicy chili pepper. I really didnt expect that it would be this strong. I resorted to downing my sample as I just wanted to end the experience as quickly as possible. The bodys actually quite light, though you wont exactly be rolling this beer on your tongue to pick up nuanced flavors. So, how to rate this? Overall, as a spicy beer, this is an absolute achievement. Do I want another pour? Please no.