overall
RATINGS: 176   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 23   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
With a little tip of the hat to our scientific, pioneering neighbors we created the innovative atom smasher limited run artisan beer. A heft, full-bodied lager reminiscent of Marzen beers from days gone by. However, this beer is aged in our oak foudres to add a complexity unmatched by the imported version of Oktoberfest beers today. Just add Ledersosen!

Thorpe429 (5122) - , Illinois, USA - JAN 8, 2012
Picked this up at Crown Liquor #19 in Caramel, Indiana. Well, Amyliz4 picked this up. Served in a snifter. Pours a medium copper color with a thin head that recedes quickly. Some spotty lacing. The nose brings forward plenty of bread and a light bit of caramel. Faint hops. The flavor is okay, having too much of a grain character with slight tannins and a mild tartness. Light body with bread crust and modest carbonation. Decent enough, but not something I would revisit.

tmoreau (4739) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - AUG 27, 2016
On tap at Ellyn’s in Glen Ellyn, L., dispensed to a house-logoed tulip showing a fairly clear, light mahogany hue, with a finger’s width of off white head foam, and spots & strands of lacing. The nose was some dark caramel & dried fruit sweetness, toasted maltiness, with a light but distinct Munich scent. Better than medium bodied, with fair carbonation, and a mild creaminess to the mouthfeel, the taste was as the aroma notes, including a slightly roasted, earthy, and lightly tannic bitterness that lingered, with noticeable alcohol presence. Would have appreciated a dryer, less sweet finish, but a tasty, Marzen "on steroids", nonetheless.

patrick767 (4474) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 17, 2017
bottle - Clear amber pour. The aroma is of caramel and bready malt. The flavor is sweet with caramel and some mild hops bitterness. Minimal oak. Medium bodied.

nick76 (4403) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2015
UPDATED: APR 9, 2016 The aroma is malty and slightly yeasty with light hops. The appearance is light amber. The taste is like the aroma with a touch of cardboard. The palate is typical. Overall it?s good.

Nuffield (4245) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 30, 2012
This wasn’t billed to me as a Marzen, but I can see it now that you mention it. I did link this to German styles--I detected a little pork bratwurst spices, herbal and lightly floral. Malty, caramel notes predominate. Drinkable yet dull. Moderately syrupy. (on tap at Happy Gnome, St. Paul)

BelgianBeerGal (4245) - Panama City, Florida, USA - OCT 14, 2012
Traded bottle (almost bought this at JJ’s too). Pretty nice fest beer overall. Pretty sweet malt forward and then finishes with a light hop bitterness. Fine with me.

CanIHave4Beers (4236) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - NOV 23, 2012
I see you o’ forgotten rate just a hidin’ in my notebook... I’m gonna enter the crap outta you!

Pours a rust color with a wispy but well retained head.

The aroma is sweet and malty with some herbal stuff going on, and some booziness.

The flavor is kind of interesting, very sweet with some toffee in there, some leafiness, and plenty of alcohol. All sorts of oddities, Brussels sprouts, raisins, cherries...

I don’t know man, Imperializing the Oktoberfest is a delicate thing... almost no one seems to do it in a way that wows me. This isn’t bad, but it’s just not what I feel like drinking on a fall day... not really at all.

Nekronos (4213) - Xalapa, MEXICO - MAY 7, 2015
Somewhat interesting and nice. Refreshing, not hoppy which is correct. Nice aroma and features.

Jow (4164) - Orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 19, 2016
I’ve really been going after the oktoberfests this season. Fine copper pour very little head. Nose is oak and light caramel. Tastes of old caramel, biscuits, hay, cardboard, herbal, flannel shirt and oak. Dry and slightly boozy but I kind of dig it.

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - SEP 2, 2010
Deep reddish orange hugh with a slight cream colored head. Lots of visible carbonation. Aroma of toasted oak, toffee malts, a mild apple juice-like sweetness. A light bread and crackery malt. Flavor is nice, toasty, somewhat dry for the style. Some oak and fruit not typically found in the style. Pretty nice flavor. Lively carbonation, light to medium bodied. Finishes somewhat bitter. Pretty nice, I’m digging the light oak aging with this style.