overall
RATINGS: 125   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.16/5   EST. CALORIES: 102   ABV: 3.4%
Eight malts add depth and complexity, while English hops contribute a refreshing balance to this crisp and drinkable mild brown ale - a true "session" brew.

beerhandy (195) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 21, 2005
The bottle I got had some age so I am sure this is a great beer when its fresh.
Beautiful light brown beer with a nice tan head.Aromas of toast and chocolate really nice nose...Taste went south
What I think is it has a mild lactic infection
which gives this beer the flavor of a Flanders brown and if you aged in wood it would be a great flanders..4+..but we are calling it a mild so I can’t.I would try it again but check the date!

hotstuff (5273) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 14, 2004
Bottle. Poured a huge foamy tan head with fine-small sized bubbles, good lacing, no visible carbonation, hazy, and a brown hue. Aroma was malty, caramel, sweet, milk chocolate, and nutty. Sweet, malty, caramel, nutty and sour flavor. Smooth, sweet mouthfeel. Light-medium bodied beer.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - NOV 24, 2004
Deep reddish brown body with an ample tan head. Nutty, malty, coffeeish aroma. Lightly carbonated and smooth. Tastes decent. Chopped nuts and malted milk balls. Nothing particularly remarkable but not bad.

DocLock (11110) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 11, 2004
I’m way above the curve here....I think this is the first time I’ve disagreed with BBB63 on a brew. I suspect that drain pour must have been adulterated, Mike. I’ll send another in our next trade. This one poured a great ruby color with a big, creamy, off-white head. Aroma of malt, toffee, heavy nuts. I pegged this as a nut brown ale or a Belgian brown ale, not a mild (and mild is a valid...and delicious style....try Three Floyd’s Pride and Joy...but this is not a mild). The taste was malty, with some hops, dark fruit, more nuts than a San Francisco orgy, and a slight rauchy, roasty finish. I liked the complexity with this, and I’m going to have another bottle this evening to verify my rating.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
Brown

Various malts provide mainly coffee but also nuts (pecans and peanut shells) and a small amount of chocolate and grapes in the nose.

Taste: Fairly distinct in its flavor profile. True to the style: sweet, nutty and full of various dark malt notes.. Carbonation to the extreme and a complete lack of body. Notes of grapes, coffee, almonds and chocolate.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 15, 2004
Bottle: Slightly hazed reddish brown hue with an initial huge fizzy off-brown head which fades quickly, some lace. The aroma is very nutty which overtones of cashews and almonds, toasted malts, mocha, cherry like undertone, floral hops, and dusty yeast esters. The taste starts with a twangy and sharp bitterness on top on a lot of earthy malts and yeast. Nutty and fruity, a lots to like at the beginning but the flavor becomes a bit boring midway through the glass. The finish is dry and woody, some lingering acidic nature. The feel is lively, sharp, and dry. The whole is less than the parts, this beer became so bland after half a glass, I poured the rest down the drain. The acidic character overpowers the malty sweetness, killing it for me.

Braudog (6852) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - AUG 14, 2004
Reddish brown, still, with light fizzy sides. Nice woody aroma. Flavor is hypersweet with an undercurrent of acorn-nutty flavors. Too tangily sweet for me.

muzzlehatch (4969) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 3, 2004
12 oz bottle. Giant gushing head, like the Pale I had last night...that was uninfected, if dull, lets check this out: dull brown shows through with light, otherwise very dark. Vinous/chocolaty nose...uh oh, it’s off. Very vinous, grapy, and lactic-sour towards the end, this comes off more like and odd ESB crossed with gueuze and I can only conclude infection. Were it only the one, I might not rate it, but a 2nd bottle and the Pale were both bought elsewhere and are gushers as well. Poor experiences with this brewery so far, alas.

Frank (4240) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 18, 2004
Dark brown with a thin off-white head. Smooth and drinkable with mild carbonation. Slightly tart with a hint of bitterness that compliments the malty body nicely.

kwoeltje (2234) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JUL 12, 2004
Deep brown with fluffy cream head that fades slowly. Earthy aroma. Earthy malt flavors with maybe a hint of plums. Acidic finish with no hops noticable.