overall
RATINGS: 742   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3/5   IBU: 24   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
This French-style country ale is deep amber in color. With a toasty, sweet caramel start, it finishes with just enough hops to clean off the palate. Bon Appetit!

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - OCT 2, 2004
Slightly hazy amber color with not much head. Notes of orange, toffee, malt heartyness. The flavor is a bit more malty, and a bit less sweet. It starts off with a bit of roasted feel, then to a more bitter acidic flavor. It ends with a more citrus viscous feel. Not a bad beer, but a good beer to be drinking in autumn.

beeriodic (61) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2004
First off, this is my first tasting of this style, so I have nothing to compare it to other than its merits. Pours a clear, light amber and a smallish head. A nice lactic, somewhat musty aroma. First thing hits the tastebuds is the sourness, with a rich, cheesy (in a good way) aftertaste. Body is somewhat thin, though, and mouthfeel is a bit too spritzy for my liking. Not a bad beer and a very interesting style. Will try others like this, for sure.

DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 1, 2004
Pours a bright golden orange, medium white head. Aroma of toasted caramel, some hops. Pleasant biscuit and sweet malty flavor, citrus and caramel at times. A more American take on the biere de garde, close to an APA at times. Medium body, soft carbonation. A tasty brew.

Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 2, 2004
Cloudy amber, diminishing beige head. Aroma of yeast and lactic acid sourness. Flavor of caramel, some fruit, grass, and a good share of sourness. A light roastiness somehow comes through, slight shades of hojicha. Medium-bodied. I like it.

Cornfield (5569) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - AUG 30, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2005 Kind of bland. Didn’t catch any of the flavors described in the commercial description. Glad I only bought a sixer... and was able to trade two of ’em.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/>WholeF Market, Willowbrook, IL<font size=-1>

tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - AUG 29, 2004
Very dark and rich beer. Very toffee and caramely. I will have to try another pint next time I see it. Great brew despite the odd and incredibly long name. Sounds like a Pizza Parlor and a Wine thing before it sounds like a beer.

awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 27, 2004
Nice hue when poured, the taste is okay but I’m glad I gave away two of the bottles from the sixer because I can see that I will have a few of these in the fridge for awhile.

SETANTA (582) - Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2006 Perhaps I got ahold of an older bottle than before, as this beer was very sour, even for a french ale (but not spoiled). After the initial acidic jolt, the darker malts created an almost chocolate/raspberry experience.

shoeshineboy (81) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 18, 2004
Stank Like a fresh loaf of Schwebels (bread to the out of towner) Deep Amber Hue with Strong Foamy Head and Decent Carbonation. Jason and Jim did alright on this one. Not too many beers of this style I could say i enjoy, But this was quite savory. Malty and Yeasty and just enought hops to keep it exciting.

SiddFinch (155) - Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 30, 2004
Flavor is fruity sweet, somewhat Champagne like but in a rather weak way. I guess this could be a decent session ale but the style just didn’t appeal to me.