overall
RATINGS: 106   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.06/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
A cross between beer and a mead, Heliocentric Bragot revives an ancient tradition and proves that the Earth does revolve around the sun - sunflower honey, that is.

joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - AUG 18, 2007
22oz Bomber $5.99 Binny’s Orland Only my second Braggot so bear with me on this review. Heliocentric pours a deep dark clear crystal golden. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise to the surface from the middle of the glass. A half finger head ormed on an aggressive pour that fell to a skeleton of a skimming with a solid ring. The body really looks nice. Unique aroma. Smells of dark honey right up front along with some dampness (wet straw, although pretty weak). Mild toasted white bread is the ale backbone of this braggot. Flower petals as well, hints of lavender. Subtle but good. The last braggot I sampled I remember similiar aromas that were subtle as well. The flavor is quite a bit different than expected. Somewhat caramel backbone on the flavor, some of that white bread is present but the caramel takes the cake. The dark honey comes through mid-palate with mild lavander. Really softens on the swallow. Nice. The mouthfeel is the weak point of this braggot. Body is on the lighter side of medium without much activity or smoothness. This is a libation I could see myself drinking quite a bit of while I lounge around getting fanned by my maidens and hand fed grapes. That’s how I imagine it anyways (good luck, right?). A quality braggot that you have to let warm to catch the nuances. Interesting flavors that I will buy again, if I see more around. Definately a good summer sipper. Thanks again Two Brothers.

antzman (325) - Clarksville, Indiana, USA - AUG 18, 2007
Draft @ GTMW. A new style for me. Pours a dark copper with a light white head. Very light carbonation. The aroma is sweet! The honey comes through immediately. The flavor is interesting. The sweetness of a mead, cut back by the beer, makes it very drinkable. Very interesting. It tastes pretty good, so I will assume they did a good job on the style.

Louipa (121) - USA - AUG 12, 2007
I’ve never had Braggot before but apparently its really good. It tastes kinda like if you took the hops out of 90minute IPA, just the malt part, mixed with mead. Which I already like. So its one of the best brews I’ve had. Alcohol is well hidden. Easy as hell to drink. Very Good.

xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - AUG 9, 2007
Rating #200. Bomber from binny’s Chicago on Clark. Nice clear dark amber with lightly carbonated white head. Sweet honey, malt, some aromatic hops, very nice. Flavor is light malt, nice light honey, flowery, bitter pollen, alc is well hidden. Med body with with light carbonation at first that moves to overall flatlike state, but appropiate for a mead. A very nice braggot, not necessarily my favorite style but very good for what it is. I was actually looking forward to a more mead like drink but it is very tasty. Like a honeysickle steeped in a pale ale.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 5, 2007
Bottle from Sam’s Downers’ Grove. 2nd Ratebeer rating. Honey sweetness clearly evident in the nose, as is a hint of higher alcohol. Hazy copper body with a small, white head. Steady, slow carbonation. Good lace. Didn’t realize this was considered a mead hybrid until I looked at the style and then the label. Alcohol is clearly evident. Not overly sweet. Has an aftertaste I’m not overly fond of. Although not that sweet, a bit cloying. Not very well balanced. Much more a beer than a Mead, although I can buy the hybrid assertion. Doesn’t really excite my palate all that much. The alcohol at least keeps it somewhat interesting. jstraw does a good job of capturing it’s essence, although I think he overrates it.

jstraw (1967) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 2, 2007
Brilliant golden-copper, with decent creamy head / Herbaceous, honied, steely nose / Full bodied, lush, with good, sweet finish / Complex flavors of honey, burnt sugar, violets, lemongrass, lemons, and oranges.