overall
RATINGS: 3715   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - OCT 17, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2009 Bottle pour but very good match to what I had @ HDG on tap. Great IPA. Super well balanced aroma and taste. Citrus, caramel, sweet fruits. Nice hoppy taste balanced by caramel malts and plums and citrus and pine. Deliciousness is what it is.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - OCT 15, 2007
Very good IPA here. This is one of those beer that you can smell from across the bar. A gigantic hop aroma full of citrus, grapefruit, and tropical fruit causes your mouth to water. Flavor is very hoppy with a crisp bitter kick. Awesome beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Soonah (1120) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 14, 2007
From dra19 via trade. Thank you Dennis! The pour was a barely cloudy thin copper color with a decent light tan head that only provided minimal lacing. The aroma was a pleasant blend of floral hops, sweet citrus and some barely noticeable caramel. The flavor was surprisingly dominated by floral hops with citrus and pine not as in your face as I would have expected. Almost medium bodied and a very creamy, very solid mouthfeel with a great finish. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
a10555 (125) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 14, 2007
I fell in love with this beer again while in Indy. I got it on tap at 2 different restaurants, and getting good beer on tap is a real treat. II would move to Indy from Cincy just based on what I got on tap. Back to the beer. Great taste and smooth. I liked how strong it was it didn’t take much to get a buzz! Enjoy it if you find it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jhanske (18) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Great brew. My heart skipped abeat when I saw it at the liquor store in Minneapolis. Was not disappointed at all! If this were available in Seattle, it would be on my grocery list everytime. I won’t go into the silly details of the taste. It is an awesome ale. Ship it to the WEST COAST PLEASE!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Homebrewerguy (306) - Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2007
Since this is brewed with american malts and hops shouldn’t IPA stand for Iraq Pale Ale? I bet our troops would love this one. Pours with a beautiful full offwhite head which lasts the whole beer, hop aroma is intense which suggests wethopping, Can’t say as I agree that this beer is as bitter as everyone says, but it does dominate the flavor profile. Nicely done to style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 9, 2007
I think this is likely the closest I’ve come to my ideal India Pale Ale. This is the hyperbitter of such greats in the IPA biz as Stone IPA and I2PA, but with an awe-inspiring mouthfeel, unrivalled in all my hophead daze. That is to say, there is no metallic afterfuzz peeling away molecule by molecule the gum tissue from my precious teeth. I REPEAT: This incredibly bitter beer is bitter, without the cringing aftertaste experience. How do they do it, ladies and gentlement? How do they do it? Next thing you know they’ll be bringing home our boys in Iraq and replacing ’em with robot fightin’ boys of steel! Ahh science. Buy beer first. Ask questions later. Two extra overall points because this beer should’ve scored a seven in palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trooper11 (468) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - OCT 8, 2007
Orange hazy brew with thick foamy off-white head. Heavy lacing, beautiful. Sweet citrus aroma with a slight pineyness. Wet and bitteeer. Piney burn. Finishes dry and bitter...did I say it was bitter?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SynergyXJ (510) - Blacksburg, Virginia, USA - OCT 8, 2007
Draught at Moondog, CLT, NC Light golden pour, small head, decent lacing. Hoppy aroma with very citrus and piney hop flavor. A bit above your average IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Skyview (5866) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Picked up single 12-oz bottle from Cellars Wine & Spirits in St Paul, MN. Pours a clear copper amber brew with a creamy white head that slowly dissolves to a fine film and white ring. Aroma of various citrus zest, caramel malt, and plenty of hops to go around. Taste is medium bodied, lightly carbonated with a strong pine/grapefruit flavor that overpowers any caramel malt flavors. Finish is citrusy and then a strong and lingering bitterness follows. A terrific West Coast IPA.