overall
RATINGS: 3715   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
India Pale Ale style well suited for Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper Peninsula. American malts and enormous hop additions give this beer a crisp finish and incredible floral hop aroma.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
jhliesen (831) - West Melbourne, Florida, USA - AUG 22, 2007
Bottle--First of all, give me a chance to get past the excitement. There I am rummaging through the singles at the local produce market (it carries a fine number of beers, only a mile from the house). I spy, sitting quietly all the way at the end of the counter, actually in the area behind a display stand are two six packs of Bells Brewery product. Now, that canít be right, Iíve heard that Bells is distributed in Florida but Iíve yet to come across it. Iíve already faced disappointment that since Bells isnít sold in Illinois, Bells failed to arrive in my home after the famous 1000 mile beer run in July. Now as I look closer at the six pack, sure enough the label and the bottle cap both indicate that this is the real stuff. Great, superb and holy cow, itís going in my cart. Staring at the cart, I start to chuckle, wow, bananas, grapes, cantaloupe and beer, this will be make for an interesting story at the check out counter and to my wife. Wait a minute, whatís the price? I know Iím buying the six pack no matter what, unless it costs something ridiculous. Itís then I notice thatís no price on the shelf. Whereís the beer guy, hmmmm, no where to be found. What if the beer is part of his secret stash? No, itís on the shelf with other beer that is priced marked, so maybe not. What if it doesnít ring up at the cash register, well then, I guess Iíll have a great conversation with the beer guy about how he needs to get more Bellís product on the shelf. I wheel the cart into the checkout line and here I am at the register, it rings up with no questions ask. I giddily hop out to my car and several hours later, there it sits in my beer glass, waiting to be consumed. What about the beer, you say, shouldnít you describe the taste, the smell and the look of the beer. Na, a thousand others have come before me. Letís just say that the beer lived up to every one of its ninety-ninth percentile rating. So, just be happy with the story of the discovery of an excellent beer and be happy that not only it exists, but it is available to a large number of people all across the country, and isnít that whatís this whole experience is about? Postscript: the beer fridge is full with Goose Island, Three Floyds, Bells, Dogfish and several Belgium beers, I guess that Florida (even though several where driven into the state), isnít that big of a beer wasteland anymore! Produce place

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Braincage1 (147) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - AUG 22, 2007
Bottle. Has a great orange amber color and thick white head. The aroma is a mix of hops and citrus. The flavor is refreshing - I havent had another beer with such high floral qualities and the pine and citrus really gives it a mind clearing kick.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
FLnative80 (174) - Orlando, Florida, USA - AUG 19, 2007
Bottle. 12 fl. oz. A hazy, light amber color with smooth looking white head. Powerful nose of grassy hops. Full bodied with a silky, smooth texture. Strong hoppy bitterness with a good amount of malt to balance it out and a clean finish. Very satisfying. Canít find anything I donít like about this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rowefam3 (70) - kendallville, Indiana, USA - AUG 19, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2007 I forgot how good this really was. The aroma is so fresh and hoppy with floral in the bakground. Huge frothy head. Lacing stays around for the experience. Taste is refreshing with the hops coming through evenly. Canít wait to have this one on the first snow day in northern Indiana.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SHANER4 (499) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 19, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2014 Rerating this beer after havingit again after several years and also trying many other IPAís. This is still a good beer but not as good as I originally thought. Lacks full flavor across entire palate. Its also alittle sweet for me. Has great aroma and is well crafted but lacks complete balance. Drinking Alesmith ipa compared to this is very different. Bellís probably appeals to the average beer drinker, but any seasoned beer geek will prefer Alesmith!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
wmubronco1992 (709) - Coldwater, Michigan, USA - AUG 18, 2007
Botte. Large frothy head with excellent lacing. Amber color, very cloudy. This is the Cadillac of IPAís. Plenty of hoppy flavor, but it is the crispness and drinkability that make this beer one of my favorites. Makes me want to take a road trip to Kalamazoo. Bells hit this one right on the heald.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hammster (187) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - AUG 17, 2007
Bottle. Frothy head and rose golden color. Beautiful aroma and wonderful palate and almost perfect spice. Lots of hops but never too bitter. A benchmark IPA to judge others by.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kirill (277) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 17, 2007
the floral hops are augmented by a fruity spiciness that is quite outstanding - it really diversifies the taste

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jkoch (47) - USA - AUG 15, 2007
12 ounce bottle (thanks mom!) Pours a nice amber color with a thick foamy off-white head. Leaves a good bit of lacing down the glass. Aroma of floral and citrus hops. Taste is similar, a little spicy too. Smooth drinking. I could easily have several of these. Great IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
treadyroc (150) - St. Leonard, Maryland, USA - AUG 14, 2007
Pours deceptively clear, & finishes off with almost an amber, which is odd for the hop content. Very citrus-y overtones at first pour. Very light/crisp for the well-rounded taste.