overall
RATINGS: 422   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 237   ABV: 7.9%
Imperial Rye Porter aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels. Statement of Composition: 40% Malt Beverage aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels. 60% Malt Beverage. Dirty Old Man: "Gimme a sponge bath."

kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 10, 2008
Pours a deep amber brown with just a ring of head around the glass. Aroma is moderately sweet with burnt malt, light toffee and unsweetened chocolate. The flavor is lightly burnt malt, a bit of toffee, some whiskey and chocolate. I really pick up very little or Oak which is puzzling. Very bubbly palate, short but sweet finish.

hopdog (12549) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 10, 2008
12oz bottle acquired in trades with stine & ughmash (thanks!). Poured a dark brown color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of wood, some rye breadiness, earthy, roast, chocolate, and some whiskey. Tastes of chocolate, vanilla, wood, whiskey, caramel, rye, and some coffee. Smooth and creamy body. I’m glad I have a few bottles of this one!

elmatador00 (519) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAR 10, 2008
Courtesy of Ughsmash. Pours a dark brown with basically no head. Aroma is mostly whiskey. Tastes of caramel, wood, whiskey, burnt malt, slight sour fruit. Finishes with a sorta dry taste. Palate was silky, yet not overpowering with booze as expected.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 8, 2008
There’s a lot of adjectives in this beer name that normally indicates superlative beer, such as "imperial," "rye," "aged," and "whiskey barrels." For all those words, I wasn’t tremendously impressed with the beer underneath the label. It was good, but not as good as the Devil Made Me Do It Imperial Porter. Still, I accept that some of these "Brewers Gone Wild!" series beers will be better than others, and this beer hasn’t dampened my enthusiasm for this series. Appearance is black, opaque and foamy. Aroma was a little whiskey-like, a bit grapey, and a bit roasty, but it was also a bit watery. Flavor was less intense than I expected, and the ABV of this beer is lighter than I thought it would be. Mouthfeel is a bit watery. Not a bad beer, but it didn’t live up to my expectations set by other "Brewers Gone Wild!" offerings. I’d recommend this beer, as I’d recommend any beer in this series, but this is definitely not their best work. I bought this bottle at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

Ibrew2or3 (8614) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 8, 2008
Courtesy of Quake1028. Pours dark brown with thin light brown head. The mild aroma brings forth a nice oaky barrel agedness along with roasted malts, faint burnt malts, sweeter notes that seem vaguely malty and a background of rye bread. The taste has an initial rush of roasted malts with a hint of burnt malts. Then the tasty wood oak notes enter and are accompanied by a streak of sweet caramel candy. The burnt malts and mild dryness enter toward the finish creating a very nice balance.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 8, 2008
12oz bonus from Kmweaver, though also got 2 bottles today from motortoddhead. Made it an easy decision to open this one. Shared with my GF Cyn, friends Chris and Geoffrey. Pours black with a tan ring. Nose is sweet, roasty, nutty, chocolately and so many other notes. Taste is sweet, malty, whiskeyesque and really a nice rye character. Tyrananena has yet to dissapoint for me. and this is damn yummy. Great beer, without a doubt, a seriuos brew.

JK (6161) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 7, 2008
From Skyview. Very dark brown and lightly carbonated. Whiskey dominates the flavor and aroma. There is some malt sweetness. I recognize the quality but the whiskey is not for me.

chimpscampee (566) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 6, 2008
I’ve never heard of a rye porter. The Breweres Gone Wild series really is ballsy. Touch burnt woody barrel aging is quite apprent but not over done. Rye is a clear note. Lots of vanilla. Creamy. oily. The coffee and chocolate notes do not go over board. Unique.

Quake1028 (638) - Tampa, Florida, USA - MAR 5, 2008
Bottle from tytoanderso. Thanks bro!
Couldn’t wait to try this one so it went from my doorstep to the freezer to our tasting table. Cola brown body, could stand to be a bit darker I would imagine, but still looks fine. Two finger thick brown head that is semi lasting and leaves a good amount of drip lacing. The rye influence is immediately apparent on the nose, along with dank liquor barrels, coffee beans, chocolate and dark roasted malts. More rye in the flavor, lends a nice spicy note throughout the experience that makes this one pretty unique and a lot of fun. Chocolate and licorice are also apparent, along with a musty quality from the barrels. A little thin at first, but evens out and this isn’t supposed to be too overwhelmingly thick or meaty I don’t think, given the style. Finish brings one last kick of rye, barrel influence and coffee beans that carry on for quite a while. I want more of this.

Odeed (1803) - Bakersfield, California, USA - MAR 5, 2008
dark brown with a light brown head.nice complex aroma of nuts,vanilla,chocolate,roasted malt,and coffee grounds.the flavor is super complex,yet melts together well.i grab everything from the aroma plus some caramel,whiskey,pine hops,rye,and smoke.mouthfeel is smooth yet full,and the palate is long lasting.awesome beer.