overall
RATINGS: 186   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
When the railroad was completed between Madison and Milwaukee in 1882, mucky soils in the glacial swamp near Lake Mills made the tracks most unsteady. A bridge-tender stood guard, 24 hours-a-day, to warn oncoming trains of the danger ahead and caution them to slow their pace. One engineer chose not to heed this warning and the locomotive lost control and tumbled off the bridge into the mud below. The train is said to be forever entombed deep in the muck along the present day Glacial Drumlin trail. We brew Down ‘n Dirty Chocolate Oatmeal Stout thick and black like the glacial muck.

Slavo (10) - Wisconsin, USA - MAY 3, 2012
I liked this beer, it was everything you expect from an oatmeal stout except it wasn’t chewy, it was smooth. It has the flavors you are looking for and a good aftertaste. Good for a cool night after a couple lighter beers to get that dark beer taste and send you to bed full to have a good nights sleep.

bpreo (2943) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - NOV 20, 2010
shame on me for not recording my feelings for this beer at the time I drank it. I know it was good, as it was a Stout, an Oatmeal Stout, and a Chocolate Stout all at once. I know it wasn’t my favorite beer of all time, but I do know it was one of the good ones.

mrjaxson (617) - .08 Junction, Wisconsin, USA - APR 16, 2010
Oh my word is this delicious. Pours to a huge, fluffy head. Aroma is a sweet chocolate but the taste is far more subtle and not as bitter (to my taste) as other reviewers have described. Down and Dirty is a great value because it is a seasonal and not from Tyranena’s Brewers Gone Wild series, meaning you get a full six pack for your money rather than a four pack. And, something to look forward to, the brewer says he is already aging this stout in bourbon barrels with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans from Madagascar to make it part of his BGW series. But we won’t see it until winter 2010-2011. I can’t wait!

rbfishstick (176) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 5, 2012
Enjoyed on the Tyranena patio on 7/27/12. For a stout, very easy drinking on a summer afternoon. Pours a dark, chocolate brown with a thin, cream head. Smells like a heavy roasted coffee. Tastes hint at cocoa and burnt coffee. Again, very light and easy drinking for those not used to drinking a heavier beer.

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 4, 2010
Aroma is nostril full of rich roasted barley, and subtler coffee bean. These dominate to the extent that the chocolate cant get through, color charcoal black, flavor is again roasted barley,bitter coffee bean,now some of the chocolate ,like Hersheys bakers cocoa comes through in the aftertaste. The chocolate and coffee bitterness is what fades after the swallow. Light medium to medium body,fairly smooth ,though there is a sprtiziness to the carbonation. Bitterness dries out the finish,would not classify this as a Sweet Stout. As usual,I wish the body would have been a little thicker, guess I’ll have to wait for Robs Big Imperial Stout to get that. Easy drinker,should appeal to a lot of people

kbutler1 (1382) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 3, 2010
Pours into a tulip glass a deep brown almost balck color with a very nice 2 finger fluffy tan tan. The aroma is everywhere! I just poured it and can smell sitting here at the computer. Smells of dark roast, chocolate, and something slighly bitter. The flavor is extremely smooth. The roasted malt is well balanced and smooth. Dark chocolate after taste with a touch of coffee bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium. Alcohol flavor not present. I bought this to give out as extras since it is local but decided to crack to see how it was and I was very surprised! Very good!

optimator13 (31) - Louisiana, USA - APR 23, 2011
Nice aroma of bakers chocolate, oatmeal and touches of coffee. Taste is up there too, fairly on par with the aroma, maybe some more coffee and chocolate. Slight bitterness shows through, could be from coffee/chocolate. The palate is pretty chewy, full bodied, and slick. Damn good stout.

Patrickctenchi (6730) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - MAR 4, 2012
Black.. medium tan head. Rich, milk chocolate nose. Taste is deep, chocolate and oatmeal...nice and thick, creamy. The balance between sweet/bitter is superb. Really enjoyed this one.