overall
Brewed by Uerige Obergärige Hausbrauerei
Style: Altbier
Düsseldorf, Germany

RATINGS: 883   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Uerige DoppelSticke might just be "Germany's interpretation of a barley-wine", ie a third definition next to England's "malt-driven" idea {such as JW Lees Vintage Harvest Ale} and America's "hop-heavy" version {such as Sierra Nevada's BigFoot}. OG - 1085; IBU - 75; Ingredients; Hops:Spalt Spalter, Hallertauer Perle, Spalt Hallertauer; Malts: Pilsner malt, caramel malt, roasted malt

dwyerpg (6413) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 18, 2005
Okay, so rarely can I claim that a beer in the 89th percentile is underrated, but this certainly is. To me, this beer is one of, if not the best beers I’ve ever had. Not too rich, just full of caramel and greatness. Next time I find it I’m going to buy it all, just like the guy in front of me was doing, until I begged two bottles off of him. He was a smart man.

TheBeerLover (1027) - DC Metro Area, USA - NOV 7, 2006
Enjoyed a sample of this beer at Tasting in the Woods, Part Deux. Altbier is one of my all time favorite beer styles, and Uerige has set the bar very high when it comes to alt, and its bigger, brawnier, brother, sticke. Leave to Uerige to go even higher with the first ever "doppel sticke" which is an even bigger version of sticke. This beer pours to a beautiful, bright, deep copper color, with a thick, creamy, white head, and a moderate carbonation. The nose on this beer is fantastic, with lots of big, pungent, spicy/herbal hop aromas, and some toasty nutty malt aroma. The palate is slick on the tongue, with really great, toasty/nutty malt, paired with some nice fruity notes, on a smooth, and clean body. Doppel Sticke finishes with those great malt flavors up front, then ends with a zesty herbal burst of hop bitterness that lingers. A super charged up version of altbier, I loved this one. Like with altbier, and regular sticke, Uerige has brewed up another bench mark example of a beer style. World class beer.

574deadzone (1419) - North Central, Indiana, USA - MAY 9, 2014
I will be goddamned. Pours very dark beautiful ruby with a thick khaki dome that settles slowly and leaves some waves of foamy lace. Nose involves deep malty sweetness, brown sugar, dark fruit, vinous beauty, some light earthy and spicy hops, caramelized sugar, port wine, toasted malt, alky vapes. Excellently sweet, bitter enough to offer an attempt at balance. Full bodied, quite oily, viscous, rich, softer carb, with a drying toasty voluptuous finish. A bit oxidized? Maybe. A bit chunky? Sure. Best beer I’ve ever fucking had? You bet your honky ass.

aflip (1) - Alabama, USA - JAN 8, 2016 does not count
It had just the right amount of malt flavor and aroma. It has more alcohol than I normally like for a "nooner", but hey, it was a Friday. It was difficult to fight the urge for another one.