overall
Formerly brewed at Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Pilsener
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 120   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.92/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
With La Bolduc, Unibroue recreated an "Old Style" beer reminiscent of the 1950s. A natural and refreshing beer.

Radek Kliber (7359) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - JAN 4, 2003
It comes with little stubby bottle. Very unusual aroma for english pale. Banana, wheat, grape and pumpkin. Interesting and pleasant. Clear, transparent. Pumpkin flavour in dominant, second is wheat. Very unusual. Not sure if that is what they wanted to archive but I like it. Thanks Doug!

UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Pretty sweet. It tastes like they brewed it with champagne yeasts. Extremely bubbly, and I’m sure it ruined some of the flavor. Besides that, it seemed decidedly belgian in feel. Maybe it’s just me, but this was a reach to be an english pale ale. Lose the carbonation, it almost tasted artificial.

MeisterEckart (18) - Guelph, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 15, 2002
Definitely a session beer. I was beginning to despair that Unibroue would have a proletarian beer suitable for prolonged and frequent drinking, but this subtly flavourful, lager-bodied beer with a nice malt twinge in the aftertaste fits the bill perfectly.

dhurtubise (568) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2002
Beautiful simple ale by unibroue standards. Still has unibroue’s signature yeast contributed flavor. Good session ale.

albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 4, 2002
Good taste, cool bottle, nice copper color. Decent head. Not the best Unibroue has to offer at all, but highly drinkable.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUL 22, 2002
An unusual one for Unibroue, to be sure. Very clear golden, which I did not expect. Bright white head like a wheat, which I did not expect. Then, a sort-of-sweet, slightly hoppy/bitter English Pale built upon a more Belgian yeast strain. Goes down very well. Not a world-beater by any stretch, but a session ale. The sum is more than the parts in this one.

Under-age Drinker (96) - Colorado, USA - JUL 15, 2002
I expected more out of the Chode-like bottle from Unibroue. I’ll cut to the chase in spanish... No soy un gran afficianado de La Bolduc

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUL 14, 2002
nothing like a unibroue i’d had before. butterscotch sweet aroma. gold and transparent. sweet finish, its not impressive. its like macro swill made slightly better.

Davhgbrew (948) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 12, 2002
I was really excited about trying this one, and I saved it to be my last of my Unibroue’s to try from my trip to Quebec. Although as I poured this one I was surprised to find a pilsner appearance being that I was expecting something darker and more complex. Slight hops in aroma, malt in the palate, and there is a thin middle. A strange brew, for a beer with noticable hops, the malt is almost overpowering. Eh!?

MartinT (9880) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 5, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2009 A beer to tease the ‘Traditional Quebecers’…Shy hops, iron, pepper and honeyed cereals in an honest version of a commercial beer…A best-seller that gives Unibroue the funds to brew the eclectic and ingenious Terrible, Trois-Pistoles, Maudite, Fringante, etc…