overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2437   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78/5   IBU: 22   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
In November 1992 Maudite (the damned one), was the first strong beer to be distributed in Quebec grocery stores. Maudite is a mahogany-colored, rich-tasting premium beer that has a distinctive, complex taste. Because of the warmth it releases, this strong character beer must be served cool but not cold. Perfect with pasta, red meats, stews and spicy dishes, it also makes a good aperitif and after-dinner drink.
Maudite has a typically Quebecois name that is reminiscent of the legend of the Chasse-Galerie (the legend of the Flying Canoe). Legend has it that a group of lumberjacks struck a deal with the devil to fly home in their canoes, guided by Satan himself, to make it home in time for Christmas.
Gold medal winner in 1995 and 1996 and the Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute.

Agtronic (29) - Laval, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 3, 2004
I have seen many of these Unibroue beers in local stores here for as long as I can remember, but never though of buying them, as I used to be more of a "bang for the buck, let's get drunk on Colt 45" kinda guy. As my taste for beer developped, I started trying better, more expensive beers. I've drank this one probably 10 times last month, and I'm absolutely blown away. First thing I noticed was how beautiful it looked in a Tulip glass, with it's thick long-lasting head. The first sip gave me shivers. The feel of the beer on the inside of my mouth was like velvet, smooth and thick. I'm not sure how people can tell which fruits are in a beer, but I definitely noticed a "spicey" quality. The flavor I thought was complex, as it had hints of everything in it. The after taste was very pleasing. There is a taste of alcohol, but it blends in very nicely, not dominating, and definitely a plus as I enjoy a strong beer. An absolutely delicious beer. Worth every penny.

zborgerd (187) - Illinois, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Another great, bold, Trappist-style ale by Unibroue. Dark sugars and spiced fruits give it a flavor makes this one an excellent choice. Like all strong ales, it's not for the weak.

warrior (213) - Mt. Wolf, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2003
Fruity and malty aroma. Has a big white head that clings too the glass well. Nice dark copper colored beer. The flavor is fruity with some clove flavors and a slight yeasty and malty flavor. A very good belgian strong.

Tessic (1178) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 27, 2003
Nice pour, Aroma is amazing. Although this is a slightly a winey taste to it, it is complex. Hints of cloves, spices with tastes of fruits and alcohol.

mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 24, 2003
Awesome! Poured in a tulip glass. Huge white, long-lasting fluffy head. Smells like yeast, fruit, malt. Taste is very nice: it's spicy, fruity, with many other complex properties. A great beer.

Appletart (10) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 21, 2003
I, being a bit of a devil myself, was immediately drawn to Maudite, & when you're created by someone who calls themselves a name so noble and strong such as Unibroue, you're destined to be exquisite. I adore this shit. If I were to compare the hyptonizing color and shade of this beer to a crayon, it'd have to be burnt sienna. That was always one of my favorite for coloring forests and foxes. It tastes perfect, in my own prestigious and highly regarded opinion, but regardless, I couldn't begin to tell you what the fuck it's made out of, or even tastes like for that matter. Try it! Love it! Or not, I don't give a shit.

UNCCTF (587) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Cloudy orange coloring with an excellent spicy, slightly sour flavor. Has a nice warming feeling as it goes down.

brownaler (693) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - DEC 20, 2003
Orange colored body with a spiciness that surronds the flavor and has a finish that is both bitter and sweet.

kathouse (1926) - LAS VEGAS, Nevada, USA - DEC 20, 2003
A complex mixture of fruit and alcohol. Color is a medium orange with a nice thick white head. Hazy from refermenting with lots of sediment. Nice lacing. Smells of apple, pear, alcohol and mild hopping are pleasant without being overpowering. Body is light and highly carbonated. The taste is fruit and yeast with a citrusy tartness that is cleansed by the alcohol. The finish is clean, crisp and dry. Reminds me of a trappist ale. A nice beer.

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Hazy orange with a beautiful creamy white head. Glass lacing is very nice also. Big fruity yeasty aroma. There are hints of dark fruit, plums and cherries. Flavor is sweet up front then some cherrt and bready malt. Medium body with an outstanding mouh-feel. Just enough thick syrupy feel balanced by a creaminess all followed up by a lightly dry finish. Overall a very nice beer. One of Unibroue's better efforts.