overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2849   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Spiesy (2338) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 5, 2004
Bottled. Brown with a reddish hue. Thin tan head. Ripe raisin and sultana flavours. Slightly sweet flavour that lingers on the palate. Dark purple sediment in the bottom of the glass. No sign of the alcohol other then the spin in my head.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BroueNeault (158) - Montral, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 3, 2004
Amazing beer ! What else can I say after more than 400 ratings on this one. So fruity, yeasty, complex...Good in every aspects, this beer is getting close to perfection. Thank you Gambrinus, a bar near my place has a stock of this one !

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SpringsLicker (3542) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 3, 2004
During a stay at Epcot my wife suggested reservations for a steak restaurant she had heard was quite good at the Canadian area of the park. Steak sounded good despite the fact that I knew I would be charged probably like $45 for a $20 steak and having to suffer either a Moosehead or Molson to get it. I was surprised that they had this! Unibroue's beers are world class and this one is one of my favorites. Rich fruity aroma and complex malt and fruit flavors. An absolutely great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 3, 2004
I'm a huge red wine drinker as well as loving beer and this appeals to me in both ways. Fruity and full flavoured and sweet and smooth without noticeable alcohol - like a good port. Another Unibroue classic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Deep brown. Malt aroma. Mild malt flavors with a hint of sweetness. Yeast flavors as well. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting given the way people rave about it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dragonthc (11) - Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA - JAN 2, 2004
dark as night. mellow fruity flavor. strong sweet aroma. no noticable aftertaste. the best ale I've tasted ever.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2004
Nice brown color. Very tasty beer. Classic fruity beer. Its a well balanced beer. The alcohol is not noticable. Very subtle alcohol burn. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
biermonk (265) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 31, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2004 750-best before 02/05- This is a fantastic brew. Extremely complex. I cant believe I ve been passing on it for as long as I have. Cant really add anything that hasnt already been said. This has neatly positioned itself behind rochefort 10 on my list of great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Nice brown color with lasting off white head. Classic fruity aroma, of dried fruit that reminds me of many of the great abbey ales. Mix of carmel and frit for flavor. Well balanced and the alcohol is well hidden. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
scoobyluv (511) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 30, 2003
much the look of cherry coke. has the flavor and smell of bush's baked beans. not much a fan of belgians but it wasn't that bad