overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2852   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - DEC 15, 2003
Murky dark brown body, small off-white head. Lots of roasted malt in the nose. Other aromas are cherry and maybe vanilla. Flavor is roasted malt without much sweetness. The flavor kind of falls flat IMO. I have read much about this beer's complexity. I am not getting it. The body is smooth and pleasant but in no way outstanding. My expectations were too high for this brew. Maybe its too subtle for me but I don't understand how this beer is so highly regarded.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ArlenWilliams (15) - Wisconsin, USA - DEC 12, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 11, 2004 Probably the finest after dinner beer I have ever tasted. Just try it -- but savor it over time, don't you dare gulp. It must be given its due in sips and... it's ABV takes the place of two lagers. It's just become available in the Chicago 'burbs. The slightest drawback can be its sweetness --but as a dessert beer, that's fine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BelgianGirl (89) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Hint of citrus aroma. Good carbonation. Just a great beer-it's my favorite Belgian beer so far.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rkearney (35) - Amherst, New York, USA - DEC 5, 2003
Very clear redish brown color with a sweet fruityness in its aroma. Sweet taste with a light to medium body. I really enjoyed this beer.

TogBean (47) - Belchertown, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 4, 2003
By the time I got around to tasting this one I was toasted. That said, YUM! Good roasty toasty aroma, dark coffe color and a good head. A bit of fruit, maybe apple wrapped in malty goodness. I'll keep this one in the fridge!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 2, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2004 First off, I think my bottle was flat. I drank it anyway, though. No head, very dark brown, fruit aromas. Gotta try it again just to make sure. Rerate. Fresh bottle right from Unibroue. Light, fruitty a bit tart and also sweet. Subtle flaovrs of malt, spice and lemon zest.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 2, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2003 Pours dark with little head, but nice lacing. Big plum flavor, with an aftertaste of citrus-spice (the unibroue yeast?). Citrusy flowery bouquet delights the nose. A strong belgian-style ale that won't weigh you down. Big, strong, and, dry

1more4dessert (336) - Upstate, New York, USA - NOV 29, 2003
looks and tastes like a great dry burgandy. prune juice appearance.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 29, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2004 nice beer. nice buzz. what it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in focus and brawn. a very clean, nutty and dry belgian strong ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jercraigs (10210) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 27, 2003
Bottle. Am finally rating this as a reward to myself after a 45 minute bike ride in the rain so it is even nicer than usual. Pours very dark mostly opaque ruby with a large off white head that diminished to leave a respectable covering. Aroma is a sweet fruitiness with firey alcohol notes hiding beneath it and slight hints of spice and yeast as well. The flavour is big vinuous fruit and malt with some spice and a pleast hint of licorice or anise at times. Did not like this one the first time I had it... oh how wrong I was. Combination of a friends birthday and a brewers banquet made me take another look at this one.