overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2752   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

ChazyRPh (583) - Chazy, New York, USA - JAN 8, 2004
Pours a deep garnet red that is nearly opaque. No head. Smells like macerated raisins, with definite red wine presence. Smooth flavor with red/port wine flavors dominating. Also some clove with maltiness. Nice bitter finish, a very interesting and good beer from the folks at Unibroue.

JoeMcPhee (9549) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 7, 2004
I've had this beer many times and am always amazed by how quickly I forget just how good it is. Very dark brown with a hint of yellow, sort of like a tawny port. Smells of raisins, dark toasty malt, and a hint of fruity yeastiness as well as some obvious clove scent. A decent tan-coloured head, although I've noticed that this varies substantially from bottle to bottle. Taste is very complex, starting out with a rich fruity peach/apricot. Sweet malt in the middle and leaves a long-lasting spicy finish. Absolutely fantastic., my favourite to date.

tidiaguy (168) - Hawley, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 7, 2004
Aroma Dark ripe fruits, plum, appricot, rasin, some malt aroma comes through with a very mild yeast scent. Flavor follows the nose with the addition of some sweeter candy notes and a slightly spicey phenolic flavor on the finish. I'd say it's a medium body with a slight warming on the way down. Very good and very drinkable.

Gromit (478) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 6, 2004
750ml with a *really* cool label. Best before 3-12-06?!? Damn, maybe I should have aged it some. Granted, it's the last beer in my 'fridge so it's number was up anyway, but the thought intrigues... Pours a murky redish brown with a huge head but very little lacing. Smells very fruity; bananas are the most obvious scent with cloves hanging around. Tastes like ripe fruit. Again, bananas and cloves, but there's some toffee in there as well. It's very complex and spicy; I'm wishing I had a book of adjectives right now. This tastes really good. Mouthfeel is full. I was expecting it to be overly carbonated after pouring it, but it's not. Drinkability suffers only from the high alcohol content, although I really can't taste the alcohol. Fine offering from Canada.

Spiesy (2337) - Sydney, Greater London, AUSTRALIA - JAN 5, 2004
Bottled. Brown with a reddish hue. Thin tan head. Ripe raisin and sultana flavours. Slightly sweet flavour that lingers on the palate. Dark purple sediment in the bottom of the glass. No sign of the alcohol other then the spin in my head.

BroueNeault (158) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 3, 2004
Amazing beer ! What else can I say after more than 400 ratings on this one. So fruity, yeasty, complex...Good in every aspects, this beer is getting close to perfection. Thank you Gambrinus, a bar near my place has a stock of this one !

SpringsLicker (3677) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 3, 2004
During a stay at Epcot my wife suggested reservations for a steak restaurant she had heard was quite good at the Canadian area of the park. Steak sounded good despite the fact that I knew I would be charged probably like $45 for a $20 steak and having to suffer either a Moosehead or Molson to get it. I was surprised that they had this! Unibroue's beers are world class and this one is one of my favorites. Rich fruity aroma and complex malt and fruit flavors. An absolutely great beer.

beerhugger (572) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 3, 2004
I'm a huge red wine drinker as well as loving beer and this appeals to me in both ways. Fruity and full flavoured and sweet and smooth without noticeable alcohol - like a good port. Another Unibroue classic.

kwoeltje (2234) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JAN 2, 2004
Deep brown. Malt aroma. Mild malt flavors with a hint of sweetness. Yeast flavors as well. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting given the way people rave about it.

dragonthc (11) - Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA - JAN 2, 2004
dark as night. mellow fruity flavor. strong sweet aroma. no noticable aftertaste. the best ale I've tasted ever.