overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2856   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 2, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 18, 2004 First off, I think my bottle was flat. I drank it anyway, though. No head, very dark brown, fruit aromas. Gotta try it again just to make sure. Rerate. Fresh bottle right from Unibroue. Light, fruitty a bit tart and also sweet. Subtle flaovrs of malt, spice and lemon zest.

pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 2, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 5, 2003 Pours dark with little head, but nice lacing. Big plum flavor, with an aftertaste of citrus-spice (the unibroue yeast?). Citrusy flowery bouquet delights the nose. A strong belgian-style ale that won't weigh you down. Big, strong, and, dry

1more4dessert (336) - Upstate, New York, USA - NOV 29, 2003
looks and tastes like a great dry burgandy. prune juice appearance.

ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 29, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2004 nice beer. nice buzz. what it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in focus and brawn. a very clean, nutty and dry belgian strong ale.

jercraigs (10303) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 27, 2003
Bottle. Am finally rating this as a reward to myself after a 45 minute bike ride in the rain so it is even nicer than usual. Pours very dark mostly opaque ruby with a large off white head that diminished to leave a respectable covering. Aroma is a sweet fruitiness with firey alcohol notes hiding beneath it and slight hints of spice and yeast as well. The flavour is big vinuous fruit and malt with some spice and a pleast hint of licorice or anise at times. Did not like this one the first time I had it... oh how wrong I was. Combination of a friends birthday and a brewers banquet made me take another look at this one.

Trumpy (4) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2003 does not count
I am addicted to this beer. I love all the beers that come from the Unibroue brewery, but this is by far my favorite. A lot of sweet malt and not much hops, but overall a superb beer. Before I tried this beer, I thought I liked paler brews more than the darker ones, but this one makes me question that philosophy.

eraserhd10 (226) - new haven, Connecticut, USA - NOV 23, 2003
This "ale on lees" is a devilishly strong ale that just happens to go well with steamed belgium-style mussels and pommes frites. I'm also partial as Unibroue is one of my favorite brewers. As the label accurately states this is a mellow dark ale that lingers like a port wine! The 9% ABV is subtle and suprising. VERY aromatic. A hint of chocolate and a hint of rasberry!

Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 23, 2003
Pours a very cloudy amber with a head composed of small bubbles that is fading quickly, leaving bits of lace. Big apple aroma at the beginning sloping down into some malt and some hops. Very nice. Flavor reflects the aromas. Ripe fruit (apple and pear) start out this enjoyable beer, leading into a bit of a bready/yeast flavor. The body is slightly carbonated with a musky finish, but that's not the right word I'm looking for. The alcohol is very well covered up and this happens to be a very balanced Belgian.

ZepolK (102) - South Side Montebello, California, USA - NOV 21, 2003
Dry fruit aroma of raisins or dates. Poured dark purple and brown with a small off white head. Flavor was rich of ripe fruit up front and a tangy sour finish, a nice complex taste.

ukoolaid (580) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 19, 2003
Beautiful deep brown with an off-white soft head. The malts are very sweet and fruity. I liked it a lot but I feel it could have been less sweet. Maybe it was just the mood I was in at the time.