overall
Brewed by Unibroue (Sapporo)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Chambly, Canada

RATINGS: 2857   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Strong Belgian type ale similar to a Port wine ! Is as dark as can be, mellow in taste with an aroma of ripe fruits. It can be compared to an old porto and is brewed from well roasted malt.

TChrome (1470) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - JUN 17, 2003
Yummy Belgian style. Aroma of yeast, raisins and prunes. Beer pours much darker than most Belgians. Large head that mostly dissipates. There is a small amount of lacing. There is a lot going on in the flavor department. Multiple layers of flavor beginning with a light malt introduction, this is quickly followed by a deluge of yeast and spices. Finally the brew finishes lightly acidic with a good dose of alcohol. This is an ale to be savored. Thank God for ales of this caliber which are easily accesible.

TehBeerMonsta (25) - USA - JUN 14, 2003
That "very complex" flavor that you all are trying to describe: Bactine. Thats right, the topical antiseptic available at most drug stores. If you don't believe me then go to your medicine cabinet and take a long pull of bactine then drink the Trios Pistoles. You will see that they taste the same. This beer is way overrated. Don't get me wrong:it's not bad. Just too sweet and fruity for me I guess along with the medicinal aftertaste. I'll save my money next time, $8.99 for a 4 pack is kind of ridiculous.

DrinkingbuddyD (129) - Warsaw, New York, USA - JUN 10, 2003
Has a very strong dried fruit aroma. Almost like a fruit roll-up smell. Definitely has a cherry aroma. Cloudy deep red in color with an off white head. Fruity, malty, sweet, and spicy body. Very complex. It is hard to pick out all of the different flavors. Left a strong cherry after tase in my mouth. A very enjoyable belgian strong.

hotstuff (5145) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2003
This brew poured a large invigorating tan head with fine-small bubbles that quickly dissolved. The lacing was sparse on the sides of my glass. The body was a reddish brown. The aroma was fruity and sweet. This brew had a smooth taste and a good mouthfeel. I REALLY, REALLY enjoyed drinking this brew!! Do we have more of this one thedm??

thedm (6148) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2003
This brew poured an envigorated large head of fine to medium sized bubbles that left little lacing and lasted a good length of time. Its body was a very cloudy semi-opaque deep brown color. It has a very nice strong malt aroma and a very smotth initial flavor that finishes much more complex than it starts. its high alcohol content is well hidden in its flavor. The flavoe is very hard to describe. It is highly complex with a lightly fizzy, tongue tingling sensation of malts and spices. Extremely good brew. I will definately try this again in one of their larger bottles.

winterlager (101) - Orchard Park, New York, USA - JUN 8, 2003
Very dark, strong aroma with lots of fruity tastes. Each sip you get so many flavors hard to detect. Very malty

DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Medium brown color. Somewhat sweet aroma, flavor has plenty of sugar. Lots of cherry and malt flavors. It does resemble an aged wine. The beer continues to get better as it warms. Great beer.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - MAY 30, 2003
Excellent. Great job of masking the alcohol. Very cloudy brown hue. Sweet, fruity, and malty. Lots of carbonation, with good head. Great aftertaste. I'd swim in this if I could afford to. Love it.

Roli (405) - laval, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 27, 2003
One of the best I've tasted since a long time. Very sugary and virtually no alcohol taste even if its 9% Some fruity notes at the end too.

uhorpheus (215) - houston, Texas, USA - MAY 26, 2003
One of my new favorites. Its been a while since I had a good beer like this. Very roasted aroma and initial tatse, aftertaste of malt and sugar. Absolutely wonderful brew, no complaints here. Very similar to some of the Fuller's Vintage Ales in my opinion, but with a more bitter and roasted flavor. I love it.