overall

RATINGS: 130   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Komodo Dragonfly Black IPA is a well-balanced, dark, bitter, and totally unique beer experience. We brewed this IPA with a base of fresh Pilsner Malts and darkened the color with pure Black Malts, creating a clean malt character that allows the liberal hop additions to shine through. Komodo is dry hopped and aged with a pinch of lavender to add to the overall aromatic experience.

ABV: 6.5 IBUs: 65.5 SG: 15.5 SRM: 49.6

SrSilliGose (3324) - pouring bus, New Brunswick, CANADA - APR 19, 2010
Bottle courtesy of BBB. Pours a deep dark brown with a creamy frothy tan head. A lot of great roasted malt, dark chocolate, and coffee characte with a great citrusy hop bite to it. Really nice and clean. black malts and a great layer. Maybe the best "black ipa" I’ve had.

Ha. read mike’s review after my own. It’s true- this does remind me quite a bit of dance of the dead. Though this seems like a simpler, but cleaner version of it. Let me know how a side by side taste test goes, mike. Anyways, really like the black malt big hop combo. right up my alley.

madvike (3305) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 9, 2010
Bottle - Pours black with a frothy brown head. Smells of peaty, smoky malt with some citrusy hops underneath it all. Taste falls a little flat, with lots of milkiness, the same smoky, peaty malt, and some herbal hops. Smooth and fairly full-bodied, this was pretty good. Not sure how I feel about the black IPA, but it was interesting.

Block (3222) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - MAY 8, 2010
Aroma of hops and pale malts. Medium body. Flavor is light mostly hopes and malts. Sweet finish.

Christpuncher (3215) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2015
Super nice hoppy black ipa pours black with a nice brown head very hoppy and perfectly balanced. Had at Geneva national.

Damico (3146) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 13, 2011
The brew pours dark coffee brown with a tan head, smaller though. The aroma is smoky and light peat notes. The flavor is light coffee, roastiness with some light hop notes to end. I expected more hops in this style though, but it is smooth, and a bit creamy and delicious.

User37895 (3085) - - MAR 5, 2010
Bottle shared by Robert at SL, what a guy! The pour was dark and stouty-like, nothing black IPA about it. The aroma was off and beat, smelled like a dead turtle (ok, I have no idea what that means, but...). Additional notes of bitter floral hops, caramel, roast. The flavor followed, bitter floral earthy hops firm in the front, a citric astringency almost, licorice black patent malts, roast, dry as a bone, yet acidic, meh. I much more like a few other "black IPAs" over this one, but all good, fun nonetheless!

bpreo (3011) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2010
I’m not sure why this is recommended for the winter season. When I think of Komodo Dragons and Dragon Fly’s I think of hot, tropical, and summer. Oh, and the beer tastes great, no doubt about it.

lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 4, 2010
Black with a brown cover. Aroma is more roasty, bitter astringent malt. Taste is roasty, coffee, burnt, bitter malt and hop finish.

sloth (2955) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - MAR 7, 2010
Dead turtle aroma? Caught me offguard with that one Brian. Next time i,m out drivin and see one of them poor little buggers splattered all over the road i,m gonna hafta pull over and get me a whiff of that so i know where yer coming from. Does the age of the road pizza turtle matter? Is a box or snapper gonna have the same qualitys? Yer killin me brah!! WooHoo WTF! Small tan head with fair retention. I believe the darkness of this brew overides the IPAness of it all. Gotta say i enjoyed it any way. Roast and chocolate, dry maltiness, Caramel, some burnt, some patent, chalkiness and a hint of citrus rasttling around in there. Dry finish, good bitterness. I was kinda diggin it. Wanna redo! Still gotta know what dead turtle smells like. Props to Robert for sharing.

cbfobes (2888) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 4, 2011
Poured from 12oz bottle, pours black with a decent tan head and lacing, the aroma has nice pine and citrus notes with the sweetness of the malt, the flavor actually threw me off at first, has a nice sweetness with a hint of hops but has more of a roasty and chocolate finish to it. Reminded me of a porter that had a light mouthfeel, not bad just different.