overall

RATINGS: 130   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Komodo Dragonfly Black IPA is a well-balanced, dark, bitter, and totally unique beer experience. We brewed this IPA with a base of fresh Pilsner Malts and darkened the color with pure Black Malts, creating a clean malt character that allows the liberal hop additions to shine through. Komodo is dry hopped and aged with a pinch of lavender to add to the overall aromatic experience.

ABV: 6.5 IBUs: 65.5 SG: 15.5 SRM: 49.6

SrSilliGose (3324) - pouring bus, New Brunswick, CANADA - APR 19, 2010
Bottle courtesy of BBB. Pours a deep dark brown with a creamy frothy tan head. A lot of great roasted malt, dark chocolate, and coffee characte with a great citrusy hop bite to it. Really nice and clean. black malts and a great layer. Maybe the best "black ipa" I’ve had.

Ha. read mike’s review after my own. It’s true- this does remind me quite a bit of dance of the dead. Though this seems like a simpler, but cleaner version of it. Let me know how a side by side taste test goes, mike. Anyways, really like the black malt big hop combo. right up my alley.

bpreo (3011) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - JUL 10, 2010
I’m not sure why this is recommended for the winter season. When I think of Komodo Dragons and Dragon Fly’s I think of hot, tropical, and summer. Oh, and the beer tastes great, no doubt about it.

ogivlado (8316) - Zagreb, CROATIA - MAR 30, 2011
Bottled355ml. -Trade with shrubber85 (thanks Roger!)
Deep black coloured, huge brown head, roasted malt and chocolate in the nose. The taste was great; heavy roasted malt, dark chocolate and pleasant hoppy with nutty notes. Strong bitter finish and long-lasting aftertaste.

Travlr (26406) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - MAY 15, 2011
Bottle at CaptainCougar’s local tasting, thanks! Extremely dark brown color, beige head. Aroma of burnt chocolate. Taste is licorice, burnt espresso. Nice.

bluejacket74 (1995) - Reynoldsburg, Ohio, USA - JUL 1, 2011
12 ounce bottle, bottled in December 2010 so I know it’s not exactly fresh. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours dark brown/black with an inch frothy tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. At this point, the aroma seems more like a slightly hoppy porter now, not that it’s a bad thing. The brew smells like roasted malt, chocolate, coffee and some piney hops. The hops do come out a little more in the taste. It tastes like pine hops, roasted and burnt/charred malt, chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it’s a bit sticky with moderate carbonation. I think it’s a good brew, although I would like to try a fresher bottle of this in the future. Definitely worth trying, I liked it.

Chudwick (3423) - Taylor Mill, Kentucky, USA - DEC 28, 2012
12oz bottle - pours black with nice beige head and great lacing. Nose is chocolate and light spruce. Flavor adds roasted malts and coffee. Light sweet with stronger bitterness. Dry finish with roasty aftertaste. Smooth and medium to full body. Definitely liking the style more and more. Usually overlook the brewer, but I’ll keep an eye out now.

JonnyMadison (94) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 26, 2015
Bottle. Poured jet black, very dark and opaque, with tan head. Aroma is earthy, like grass, Flavor is very strong, but not overwhelming, hops balanced very smoothly. I haven’t tried many black IPAs, but this one appeals to me a lot. Mouthfeel is anything but thin. Bitter finish, a little bit of an aftertaste, but all around very nice!

arnold931 (1261) - Iowa, USA - APR 12, 2015
Bottle. Pours black with little ruby highlights with nose tan head and lacing. Nose is big floral hops and little roast. Taste is nice and hoppy with some roast and chocolate. Lasting bitterness in the aftertaste. Definitely balanced toward the hops. Nice black IPA.

kaser (6430) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 5, 2013
Had this on draft at the Tipsy Cow in Madison. Local brewery I hadn’t heard of. Orange clear pour with white head. Delicious fruity and citrix taste, hoppy, perfect balance. Loved it