RATINGS: 1249   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Superior Hoppy Belgian Ale. White very rich foam, small bubbles. Very hoppy, spicy, fruity flavour and full, heart warming body. Brewed at first at Van Steenberge, now brewed at Koningshoeven - La Trappe brewery.

RiverHorse (457) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 11, 2007
This beer pours a light golden color with a big old white head. The head was very frothy. I smelled hops, alcohol, citrus, and fruitiness. The taste is very hoppy for a Belgian, but I guess that I should have expected that with the name. This beer is pretty bitter and sweet at the same time. The mouthfeel is good and long lasting. Not as good as other Belgians that I have have and not as good as a many IPA’s.

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - MAR 11, 2007
This beer is a hell of a lot of fun. It really has been far too long since I have tasted a beer with originality, particularly one which touts its hops. Of course, in a way, the beer’s flavor is what you would expect when you hear of a golden Belgian ale with a ton of hops. But what’s fun is that these elements don’t cancel one another out or yield anything unattractive. With its outrageous meringue head and overall flavor and aroma, it actually reminds me of that awesome batch of HOTD Fred I once had (which they never seemed to duplicate in any subsequent bottlings). Like certain other Belgians, its spritziness accentuates its bitterness. There is a ton going on here. It is as if you put Orval and Smuttynose IPA in a glass and then mixed in something sweet, like a maibock or one of those imperial pilsners. The aroma is really incredible. Not in any way overdone. Not like any big boudle IPA, where the aroma might be complex, but is still just a bunch of hops. This one is so much more subtle. I would be tempted to like a less spritzy body, but I think that change would make the beer syrupy. I like it for what it is. I wish I could have shared the beer with a fellow beer geek. There’s plenty to talk about.

Nejhleader (1550) - Lemoyne, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 11, 2007
I was expecting more of a hop bang from this, given it’s self proclaimed hop superiousness. Don’t get me wrong its a good beer. Has a nice golden colour, sweet, sugary, hop taste, aftertaste is a bit of a hint of alchohol.

Skinnyviking (9550) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 10, 2007
Bottle. High white lasting head. Clear golden body with a lot of carbonation. Spicy hoppy aroma. Dry malt flavor, hoppy and nice bitterness. Alcohol relatively dominant.

benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAR 10, 2007
Unbelievable head - huge! Cloudy. Nice aroma with hint of citrus. Felt great on the palate. Smooth flavor. Some hoppiness but I expected more. Slight lemon taste.

dkoonce (911) - People’s Republic of Athens, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2007
Cloudy tan, looks like dirty dish water. The head is massive, white and loose. Not much aroma. Sour, malty, yeasty and sweet. But, no hops. At least not much bitterness for a beer named hop-it. It is a bit spicy, more like a traditional strong ale. For that reason, it gets good numbers.

VikingHammer (506) - Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 7, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2007 Pours a murky golden orange with a huge fluffy white head. Good lacing on a tulip glass. Nice fruity aroma. Raisins, plums, citrus, and some spices. Nice full mouth feel with a spicy hop finish.

thewolf (12535) - Kolding, DENMARK - MAR 5, 2007
Tap. Hazy golden with an extremely nice, and very creamy (almost whipped cream) white head. Lightly sweet malty aroma. Taste is quite powerful. Pretty vinious and a dry bitterness.

locarboy (129) - USA - MAR 5, 2007
On tap at the Map Room in Chicago, IL. Poured with a nice white head. Light golden color. I was expecting a spectacular experience. I had just had a Trois Pistoles and was in Belgium beer heaven. I was a bit disappointed by this one. I like my golden Belgians to be about the malt an yeast and have the hops play a supporting role. Unfortunately the hops got in the way of all of that. It would be ok with me if the hops were of the late addition variety instead of the bittering and flavor variety. A well made beer, but not what I want in a Belgian, I’ll have an IPA or an American beer with lots of Cascades if I want that much hops.

JohnnyJ (5545) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 2, 2007
Clear gold with a large fluffy white head. Aroma of light fruit, citrus, a little bit of spice, and hops. Flavors of spice, citrus, orange, sweet and finishes with a little bitter hops.