Valley Brew Uberhoppy Imperial IPA

overall

RATINGS: 324   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Überhoppy Imperial IPA: Hops, hops glorious hops! There is no mistaking what this beer is; soft and delicate it is not. Überhoppy is meant to completely overwhelm you with resinous, floral, citrus and herbal hops barely balanced by a huge amount of malt that keeps the Lupulin onslaught from resulting in complete palate destruction. If you do not like hops, Überhoppy is NOT the beer for you, do us all a favor and either give this beer to someone with the intestinal fortitude to appreciate it or put it down and walk away. Überhoppy is brewed with 10 different hop varieties and a complete and utter disregard for common logic or sanity. Please consume this beer as soon as possible to ensure maximum hop freshness. Approximately 9.5% ABV.

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 9, 2010
In short: An archetypical American Double IPA, a bit of everything, on the dry side, dangerously sessionnable
How: Bottle 22oz. Post-EBF 2010 tasting #1 with east-coast crew. Brought by ygtbsm94 (I think). Thanks for the great treat Brad.
The look: Almost clear golden body topped by a medium off-white head
In long: Nose is an explosion of hops, coniferous/foresty, citrusy, grapefruity, everything. Taste “perfectly” unbalanced. Crisp malt backbone plays second violin to an avalanche of American hops. The hops have a bit of everything that American IPAs can offer with the coniferous/foresty being a bit more upfront than the other elements (citrus, floral, grapefruits, grass, etc.). Within 24 hours I had multiple samples of the excellent fresh Pliny the Younger, then multiple samples of the even better SN Hoptimum, but I thought that this Valley Brew Uberhoppy was the best of the bunch. Given the competition that speaks volume. Plus it is much easier to find than the other two. It is pleasantly dry and way more sessionnable than the other big guns of the style. I like my big Double IPA hop bombs a bit on the dry side of things so this one is tailored made for me. A new entry in my top-5 favourite American hop fix. I used to be jealous of those Californians with their great weather and kick-ass IPAs. But now I realize that it is not doing me any good to be jealous. I’m switching over to envy. And if it doesn’t help I’ll switch to hatred.

cranialouch (1) - USA - MAY 26, 2010 does not count
This beer packs a lot of flavor; good aroma, plenty of hops, and good maltiness underneath.

puzzl (3264) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 30, 2007
Bomber from Aspidites. Apparently this is "a non dry hopped experimental version of which there were only 12 bottles." Sweet. This is some good shit. I normally dont care that much for IIPAs... they always taste the same to me, are a little too acrid, etc. Not this one. The hoppiness is pure and rich, but is controlled. The malt sweetness takes a backseat but shows up right when you need it. Drinkability is ridiculously high for a 10.5% beer... I feel like I could session this stuff. I’ve finished the bomber in 5 or 6 sips, and it usually takes me an hour or two to do a bottle this size. Though I have not had the "real" version, it doesn’t matter. This is it. This is perfection in beer brewing. To me, this is the in the class of the perfect IIPA. The only other worthy alternatives are those that are a bit more hoppy, stronger punch, less drinkable of course, but still rich and smooth. Dreadnaught is the only one that comes to mind. Thanks, Mike!

Phil (181) - Kent, ENGLAND - FEB 13, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 21, 2008 BeerGeeks - 12/2/08 - Big Brassy DIPA - Like the colour of Aires rock, and with a hoppy nose to completely assault. Really well made DIPA. Drinkable even at 10%. Pine, citrus, blah blah blah.... big hops, big malt, and one hell of a beer.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 27, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 23, 2008 2008 Vintage, 22oz bomber from Aspidites shared at the PP Bottle Shop with wetherel and deftim13 and bikesanbeers. Pours amber with a tan bright white head. Nose is big and hoppy and resinny with a nice backbone of malt. Taste is sweet with a little smoke, hoppy but subdued, really nice and big and well rounded. Not a palate crusher but damn good. This is a sublime Imperial IPA.

bikesandbeers (547) - san diego, California, USA - JAN 15, 2009
on top at the brewpub. Huge hoppy aroma with nice citrus and pine. copper clor poured with a thin head. flavor had a nice amount of carmel malt but was dominate by citrus and pine hops without beeing too harsh. Very Drinkable. I watched a guy next to me down two as i savored my single galss. Although there was some alchol presence, it was nto nearly as boozy as some other big IIPA’s I’ve had. In fact i think this is slightly more drinkable that pliny the younger.

daknole (11402) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 26, 2009
wavers with the mad hookup here! Pours a rich amber color, small white head.Resin, citrus and caramel malt hit the nose followed by some tropical fruit. Flavor is both hoppy and malty. Hops are very bitter and resinous. Grapefruit dominates with hints of tropical fruit and more spicy hops. Good caramel malt.

joet (2664) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - SEP 3, 2009
Wow. I had this on tap for the first time and it’s obviously much more awesome than I’ve ever had bottled. Fresh, vivid and spectacular - it’s bushy, citric, bits of lemon and grapefruit without pepper or dustiness. Yes the hop profile is very expansive. Texture is not sticky and it isn’t loaded down with unfermented sugar or tasting overly sweet. Surprisingly drinkable despite it’s heft.

craftbeerdesign (2254) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2009
sample from the pitcher at GABF on 9/26/09... very clean golden pour with a white head... HUGE piney hop nose... absolutely perfect nose... smooth medium body... the bitterness really balances well throughout the mouth... big hops on nose, but well balanced throughout... this leads to an extremely drinkable IIPA... this is like butter... so smooth and delicious. I want a bottle of this...

arminjewell (9720) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAR 3, 2010
Pours deep orange with thin white head. Aroma is as advertised, hops, hops, glorious hops! Huge Simcoe quality with lots of citrus, pine, a bit of a sweet malt backbone and bitters well. Extremely good DIPA, like chewing on hops.