overall
Vichte, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 2903   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%

cab (866) - DENMARK - OCT 3, 2008
Bottle. 33cl. Old rating. Really sweet and sour, you can feel it in the saliva glands basically. Very nice tart, and sour flavor, Think bing cherries, malt, and brown sugar all mixed together.

AvidDirtman (25) - , JAPAN - OCT 2, 2008
I came home from work today...and to my great delight my wife says, ’here you go then’ and hands me an assorted box of 6 belgium beers. Not only that, but sitting on the table is my favourite dish of bangers and mash. Oh i! Thinks me. Getting alcohol from the missus is the equivalent of a man giving a woman flowers for no reason. Should I be worried about her fidelity? Anyhow, she can do what she likes if it means a regular supply of Belgium beer. On open the foam rushed excitely out of the bottle and sat proudly on top waiting to be poured. I got an initial aroma of fudge, toffee and fruit tart. A very attractive beer, much like the saucy lady on the front. In certain light the beer looks almost black but has tinges of ’Burgundy’ here and there. Delightful looking head with intricate lacing and the flavour doesn’t disappoint either. Reminiscent of a balsamic vinegar salad dressing mixed with sour apples A rather unexpected taste considering it’s appearance. Probably the equivalent of eating curry flavoured ice cream (that’s if you love curry) What an absolute refreshing experience! This lambicesque number has certainly brighted up my day. If I’ve anything bad to say about it, it’s that after the initial thrill I think I’d quickly tire of this brew. I recommend this beer to anyone trying to get their girlfriend into the beer tasting game. Getting to the bottom of the glass now and decidely disappointed to see it go. I’ll revel in the refreshing aftertaste this has left in my mouth.

JohnQPublic (387) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - OCT 1, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2008 Draught. Pours a clear, deep red bordering on brown, with a creamy off-white head. Nose is an odd combination of rich, deep red wine and black tea. Round and juicy, just a hint of vinous sourness. Flavor is softly tart, sweet, and rich to begin - vinous, rich red fruits and a big malt sweetness that shows through as well - like fresh bread dipped in a glass of red wine. Subtle tartness lingers - never dry, very juicy. Clean, slightly vinous finish with tea-like note of tannins showing through. Full bodied, with soft carbonation.

v8powered (157) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 30, 2008
Very interesting flavor. Aroma a lot like balsamic vingar and a slight sour fruuit smell. The beer is sour at first but finishes with a great aftertaste. Souress disipates more the warmer the beer gets. Dark brown color, very little head. With my first bottle, I wasn’t to sure. Second bottle I began to appreciate and enjoy this beer. Will never be my favorite but certainly a different beer I can appreciate for what it is. A beer worth appreciating!!
Earlier Rating: 9/28/2008 Total Score: 3.7

Adenila (1560) - DENMARK - SEP 28, 2008
Rating #42from the european beer festival 2008. Clear brown loo. Aroma of cooked vegetables and a strong eartheren sourness. Old metal and again vegetables in the flavor with an ok tart finish. I usually like sour ales, but i have to agree with my mom on this one....

jehoey (765) - Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 27, 2008
Aroma was woody with figs, raisins, hints of vinigar and wild fermentation. poured reddish brown with a beige head that laces somewhat on the glass. flavor was quite sweet, figs and raisins dominate the palate with vinger and wild fermentation notes on the back of the tongue. Some leather and apple cider vinegar. medium bodied, finishes quite tart with a drying effect on the back of the tongue. A decent beer, but a little too sweet for my taste.

luttonm (6957) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 26, 2008
Small Bottle (though I have this on draft often, my notes are from the bottle). one of my all time favorites, and my first introduction to the sours. Heavy red pour. Beautiful palate with robust fruit (cherries, apples). Mild sour cherry finish with the right amount of sweet and tart, drying and numbing. Touch of smoke in there too. My archetypal sour, on the mild end, but what I compare to.

screwball (1099) - Motala, SWEDEN - SEP 20, 2008
Bottle. Brown-red body. No head. Aroma is compex. Has a earthy tone. Also soure red berrys. Little sweet touch as well. Some cola. Falvor is pleasent! Has a sour tone. Red berrys, earth, dry malt, sweets and some rubber and cola. I found it interesting well done brew.

enginaaron (73) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 19, 2008
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2008 Holy cow was that good. Strong sweetness pulled back in by a background sourness that is not overpowering by any means. Very mysterious: aged and non-aged beer. Some wood, some cherries, some raisin-y malt with a strong taste but not strong alcohol. Holy cow this is a huge beer. I love it! Wow this is a mysterious and thought-provoking beer. I looooove this!!

jdunlow49 (2) - , Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2008 does not count
A favorite since my first tasting... almost champagne-like effervescence and fizz that forces you to sip instead of gulp. best as the first beer of the night b/c it seems almost too sour after anything else. fruity and vinegar-y, it’s one of the most unique beers I’ve had and would def put it on my top 5